Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important do you think is the issue of Climate Change?
Very important 80 31.62%
Somewhat important 27 10.67%
Not so important 30 11.86%
Unimportant 44 17.39%
The problem doesn't exist 70 27.67%
Other 2 0.79%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:43 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times

Advertisements

Our aging electrical grid is working harder every year with the increase in temperature. When it fails and millions of people have no electrical power they will understand how climate change can affect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 05:44 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Unimportant. The climate will change regardless of what humans do.
Supermoon and king tide likely to trigger flooding along Florida coast | Miami Herald
this is the phenomenon in my home town, I'm 63... Never happened unless it was a hurricane... octopus in the garage? Sandy beaches now 2ft of ocean water, nah. We ripping the life out of the natural world.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:49 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
It's the most important issue facing people right now, full stop. It will affect every single aspect of our life in the very near future, no matter what we do. But it seems that there must be some kind of media blackout in America, judging by all the derpi-ness expressed in this forum.

Last edited by zortation; 11-16-2016 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 05:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Supermoon and king tide likely to trigger flooding along Florida coast | Miami Herald
this is the phenomenon in my home town, I'm 63... Never happened unless it was a hurricane... octopus in the garage? Sandy beaches now 2ft of ocean water, nah. We ripping the life out of the natural world.
And nothing you can do about it.

Move to higher ground. That's how you adapt.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
What is your view on the importance of climate change?
I find the view that, "We're not entirely certain, so we should ignore it completely," to be morally abhorrent.

I think it needs to be taken seriously by the United States, China, and India.

I don't put great stock in predictions, but I do think if we want humans to be around 500 years from now, we need to learn to better-manage human inputs into Earth's environment. Maybe it's 50 years or 200 years or 1000 years, but eventually it'll catch up with us.

That said I typically am much more concerned with things like local/state/regional air/water/soil quality, sound development practices, making an effort to maintain present levels of biodiversity, than I am with climate change.

Last edited by le roi; 11-16-2016 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 06:04 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Our aging electrical grid is working harder every year with the increase in temperature. When it fails and millions of people have no electrical power they will understand how climate change can affect them.
If only there were some way to upgrade the grid.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:05 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
It's the most important issue facing people right now, full stop. It will affect every single aspect of our life in the very near future, no matter what we do. But it seems that there must be some kind of media blackout in America, judging by all the derpi-ness expressed in this forum.
They are sheltered from the world. Corporations control how they think.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:27 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
I think it's a very important issue and find the people who dismiss it as a hoax because a capitalist told you it is to be idiots. Plain and simple. That said, many liberals are pretty uniformed on the issue too. Be realistic, how much does a carbon tax really help? That does nothing for the methane produced by enormous, industrial farms. It does nothing to address aerosols.

The reason so many deniers promote their anti-scientific message is the same way many liberals support theirs: ideology comes first. The thing is, 97% of scientist agree that climate change is a thing and is influenced by humans. There is disagreement within that 97% of some of the specifics. Bare in mind, many also point out that there is a natural cycle of climate change, however, the amount of carbon has increased and we're seeing a correlation of carbon to heat that is new. The explanation is that human activity has altered the chemical make up in the atmosphere, leading to changes in temperatures. This on it's own really is not controversial and for the love of God, I cannot figure out why THAT is what's disagreed on. I can totally understand disagreement on solutions but we're wasting ****ty time on what scientists are saying with some saying that somehow that they're completely wrong.

Truthfully, we need to assess our economic system. Large scale capitalism where it's profit first, everything else last is causing problems. Large scale farms and political lobbying creates problems as well. I do not think there should be a carbon tax. We should invest money into research, not energy corporations (even if they say they'll fund research). Put money to the sciences and they'll find ways to make clear energy objectively more affordable. They may even find ways to make less fossil fuels do more, which is still better than where we're at. But giving money to a for profit corporation, especially won that probably gets tons of labor outside the US, is as ridiculous as thinking you understand science better than actual scientists.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:35 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
What is your view on the importance of climate change?
The climate changes, that's what it does, and it does so on its own accord. This is normal Earth:

Think the climate has changed?

Would you like to go back to normal Earth? Lots of snowy mountains filled with glaciers.

You will be in a Glacial Period soon enough (geologically speaking), so enjoy the warm times, because the cool times will be a disaster for humans in so many ways.

The Eemian was the interglacial period which began about 130,000 years ago and ended about 115,000 years ago.

You're currently in the Holocene Inter-Glacial Period.

Previous climate warmth

So far the ice cores can only provide us a glimpse into the Eemian warm period. But we can already tell that Eemian climate was significantly warmer than the climate of the current Holocene interglacial - probably about 5°C warmer.

http://www.iceandclimate.nbi.ku.dk/r...cial/eemian/As you can plainly see, the Earth can warm up another 5°C (9°F) and it would be perfectly normal.
It's not my fault you built cities and towns close to the seas and on small islands without first understanding the Glacial Cycles that affect modern Earth.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:48 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Lots of snowy mountains filled with glaciers.
I am the residue of that --snowmountains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies