Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:32 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Let me guess, I bet you think you are the smart one. Tell me of theeconomic mentors you have.

There is no such thing as a free market. Atilla the Hun is a "free market". He shops around for no charge. In a baseball game, rules are created to form a competition. One doe not come from the dug out to tackle the runner.

Ok, you live in your town. I'll live in mine. You don't mind of course if I enslave them all, right? Then , for some reason, my coconuts are cheaper than yours. I am sure you don't mind if I freely run my sewers your direction as well. You meanwhile can pay for the clean up while you compete with me. Also, I can recommend a trading partner who is a good friend of mine. Once your local markets are gone, you better do as I say, wink wink.

You "economics" wizards have never read about economics. I am a long time student of the founders of trade theory like Adam Smith and Ricardo. Nor have you wizards ever read a decent political philosopher like Hobbs, Montesquieu,or Machiavelli. You are ignorant wind bags babbling about nothing.

Amazing how in this free market , inventors don't rule the world. Ever notice its Wall street ,bankers and real estate ? Why do you think that is? Well if you read Ricardo or Henry George , you'd know why, but you don't, like all wind bags.

OK then, remove copyright and patent laws. Remove all licenses. Tear up title to property , and grant no rights of way. Abolish all da guberment privileges.

Excellent Post
I bet you the Globalists don't respond to any of your points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 09:32 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Trump is not pro free market though. Tarifs on businesses who offshore is not going to have any positive impact on business.
NO but removing all the over regulation and holding the government departments like the EPA and BLM accountable will do much more than Hillary's plan of increasing regulations, raising taxes, increasing the minimum wage was going to do for the small business market.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 AM

29,501 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
All true. Of course the dream was that all the newfound wealth generated as a result of automation would be shared in some way across the population, because it was obvious there would not be enough jobs. Of course this never happened as corporations and their owners simply accumulated more wealth into the top 1%.

There is no solution to this problem. We've created a permanent underclass, there will be no return to the glory days of the 50's and 60's.

Sadly I think you are correct. But we can put a stop to the hemorrhaging before it gets any worse.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:34 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
All true. Of course the dream was that all the newfound wealth generated as a result of automation would be shared in some way across the population, because it was obvious there would not be enough jobs. Of course this never happened as corporations and their owners simply accumulated more wealth into the top 1%.

There is no solution to this problem. We've created a permanent underclass, there will be no return to the glory days of the 50's and 60's.
Baloney. Capital does not cause need. If someone outside our economy is on a tropical island with food and shelter, they are not unemployed. If they suddenly have to pay a property tax, then they become unemployed.

If a chef robot puts chefs out of work, then lots of people can own a restaurant. No one is unemployed. In early America, farm labor could and did, simply walk off the farm to farm their own homesteads. They were not employed nor were they unemployed.

The problem is economic rent charged to necessary resources like food and shelter. Capital does not cause unemployment. Rent expense is what causes it.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:35 AM

1,285 posts, read 592,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
..., refuses to play by the same environmental rules, and controlling their workers and output. The US economy is basically fighting with one hand tied behind their back and people wonder why the country as a whole is struggling?

Now if you guys want a free market worldwide let's do it, I am in. Since other countries refuse to protect the environment at all,
Where does this idea come from?

Here's list of countries ranked by Environmental Performance Index

The Environmental Performance Index (EPI) is a method of quantifying and numerically marking the environmental performance of a state's policies. This index was developed from the Pilot Environmental Performance Index, first published in 2002, and designed to supplement the environmental targets set forth in the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...nce_Index#2016

US ranks 26 of 30

Old 11-16-2016, 09:35 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Nah, we already have the millions of government employees who do this....

(Military excluded)
Why do you think the military is excluded? They invented hurry up and wait.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Sadly I think you are correct. But we can put a stop to the hemorrhaging before it gets any worse.
I disagree, while most of the jobs that have left are gone permanently, throughout the history of the US we have lost plenty of jobs and still have always recovered. The way the country as a whole has always recovered from depressions and recessions is through the startup and growth of small businesses. The only 2 times in the history of the country that the recovery did not come from small businesses is WW2 and this current recession that many will tell you we have never come out of. With the current regulations and climate it is arguably the hardest time in this country's history to start a business. Until that changes we are staying where we are at, but if that changes than the jobs will develop.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Underestimating your opposition is always, always, always a gihugeant mistake. And explains why we have an incoming right leaning Pres, house, senate, mostly Red states, etc. They proliferate because of your self-declared sense of superiority. I'm certainly not "alt-right" but I don't think calling them names is the solution.

But have a great day! Mahalo.
Honestly, I agree with the bold!!!

It is why I feel that more people need to call the "alt-right" what they really are - a movement pushed by white supremacists.

I'm not saying all the supporters are racist/white supremacists, but the leadership is. Look at Bannon....tell me he is not a white supremacist.

We need to clearly "define" these enemies for what they are and press their true activities and past to the public. I don't think all those who voted for Trump are racist, but I do believe they fell for white supremacist tactics who framed this election as an "us versus them" sort of thing based specifically on ethnicity, race, and religion. By saying the following:

• Illegal immigrants take our jobs - yet in the Rust Belt, illegal immigration is not taking over manufacturing jobs (and I am totally against illegal immigrants BTW and would like to see them deported in droves and don't really care about "breaking up families.")
  • Blacks "taking spots" of white people in higher education - yet black people are MUCH less likely to even go to college than whites and when they do they are much more likely to go to a state college or community college and many of the whites in the Rust Belt who support the alt-right don't even go to college and want their kids just to have factory jobs that pay $50K like what their parents/grandparents had
  • Muslims pushing "sharia law" and the alt-right trying to "educate" people about Islam....this one is just too ridiculous to try to describe in a few short sentences. FWIW, I've been many times to Dearborn, Michigan and there is no "sharia law" in Dearborn no matter what the alt-right outlets say

I could go on but will leave it at that. I'll also note that I have no sense of superiority about myself but it is not hard to see a white supremacist when you are shown one. I personally don't think that Trump is one, but he knows that he has been elected based on their rhetoric and IMO his election was truly the wake up call for us non-white supremacist and for us to not underestimate the fact that people in our society who are irresponsible and who want to blame their personal troubles on "others" will easily fall into a racist, xenophobic mindset and try to justify their position.

They are an enemy and I feel, I in particular have been too quiet about labeling the alt-right what it is. It is a white supremacist movement. And IMO we need to acknowledge that and know that they are our enemy.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:50 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Two friends sit on a bench after a long hike. One of them has bottled water. Then a stranger with a collared slave walks up to them :

Free trader:

Instead of giving water to his trusted friend , he trades it for some fruit picked by the collared slave.

Alt-right.

Hands bottle of water to his trusted friend.

After all, who gives a crap about the person right next to you? You may one day be absorbed into another cultured entirely, albeit as a collared, fruit picking slave.
for better is a neighbor that is near than a brother far off.
-Proverbs.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Where does this idea come from?

Here's list of countries ranked by Environmental Performance Index

The Environmental Performance Index (EPI) is a method of quantifying and numerically marking the environmental performance of a state's policies. This index was developed from the Pilot Environmental Performance Index, first published in 2002, and designed to supplement the environmental targets set forth in the United Nations Millennium Development Goals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enviro...nce_Index#2016

US ranks 26 of 30
If wikipedia says it, it must be true, especially when the UN is behind the numbers and consumption is one of the measuring sticks, I am sure that gives a clear idea of actual regulations that companies deal with. I mean I am sure those countries are issuing fines of millions of dollars for someone building a watering pond on their farm acreage with the water rights they own. Bu the way last I checked there are considerably more than 30 countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies