Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:03 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You must not have been old enough to remember the late 60's/early 70's. This election reminds me so much of the '68 election that it isn't even funny. I still remember my cousin getting a yelling match with my grandfather, took months before my grandfather and his brother (her father) talked again afterwards. Rioting happened then, there was a large cohort of young people then (Boomers) as there is now (Millennials). Those still teetering on adolescence tend to like expressing their discontent in an in-your-face way, it does not help that rioting has an element of a social gathering.

We survived that time period, we'll survive this one. At least this time no one got assassinated.
My memory of that time if pretty vague, and involves more recollections of toys and wishing for a pony than politics. But, yes, I know it was horribly bitter. I knew there was trouble, but was not old enough to understand why. We survived, but that doesn't mean it's something I care to repeat. The difference between then and now is that now we have the internet, which allows people to vent their hatred on more strangers than ever before, without having to see the faces, look into the eyes. Perhaps I'm naive for thinking such things matter.

In any case, you've addressed the rioting, with the implication that most of the participants are young. What about the taunting and mockery, much of which I assume is coming from supposedly mature adults? Isn't that pretty in-your-face, as well? I mean, seriously, who cares how people who *aren't* being violent deal with their disappointment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 06:21 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The nation has always been divided. There has been an effort to confront and attack the people that have a long history of oppression for as long as we have been a country... Oppressors got a little more vocal when Obama was elected..
No one is oppressing you SHABAZZ but if it helps you feel better about your lack of upward mobility, have at it.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:33 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
The country has been divided since January 2008 (even before his inauguration) when Mitch McConnell and John Boehner made it the policy of the Republican party to oppose anything President Obama proposed in a boorish effort to prevent his re-election and to get more power for themselves at the expense of governing the country.

This is historical fact. And us lefties are well aware of it.
And the Republicans took back the Congress in the following mid-terms. What does that tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies