Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:02 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Protests are a Constitutional right, and Trumpers called for armed rebellion if Hillary won. So the left is behaving better than the right would have. AFAIK, only one city has had issues with rioting.

The electoral college was also designed to stop someone like Trump from getting into office, so that petition isn't stupid. Unfortunately, the college has historically just toed the party line, so they've never used it as Hamilton intended. I would be fine with them putting in another sane Republican like Romney or Kasich. Trump and his team are seriously dangerous to this country and the world, and it really is the duty of the electors to stop him if they cared about America and its design.
"if they cared about America"

YOUR "care about America" lost.

Thank goodness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 12:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
I would like to point out, as someone who is very liberal, that Trump supporters advantaged me tremendously.

I didn't vote for him. I would never vote for him. However, as someone who sits comfortably within the 1%, Trump and people like him absolutely adore people like me.

So... Thanks for the tax breaks, I guess. I really didn't want them. I really wanted higher taxes to curb our insane class divide, a far more extensive inheritance tax (I do not like political dynasties), and more extensive social safety nets for the people who voted for Trump.

We "liberals" did not go away, no. We just lost this weird, inverse tug-of-war where we were trying to push money down the social ladder.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:05 PM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I'm weening myself off this forum though. I was spending too much time composing posts anyway. I still peruse the titles now and then, but try to resist taking the bait and jumping into the abyss of a 30 page thread.
i'm with you.

i came on this forum with the intent to focus on one single topic, birtherism. the facts on the topic were clear and the evidence was easily referenced, the low hanging fruit of political discussion. it was a fun hobby and i was mostly able to resist the temptation of venturing down the rabbit-hole of other topics.

when trump, the most high-profile of the birthers, got into the race it blurred the line and i did enter into other debates. since trump has abandoned the birthers ( after using them to kick-start his political ambitions ) and arpaio is out of office it seems as if the birthers have finally given up. i will miss them. more then likely my further participation on this forum will be minimal at best...... unless birtherism rises up again or some other belief equally comically idiotic.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:10 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"

But, but, but, we read all time from the liberals on here how smart well educated people are and how we should look up to them.

I guess they only mean well educated Liberals.
Just where are all these comments about how smart liberals are or how we should look up to them? I've not seen any of those. Might disagree, of course, but what's all this other nonsense?

And why, I wonder, does it seem so often that conservatives make note and take offense about people who are well educated? Reminds me of when we were in grade school, and if a kid raised his hand to answer a question correctly, they were chastised for doing so, by most the other kids who could care less about learning in class...

Seems those kids have yet to grow up.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:12 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I would like to point out, as someone who is very liberal, that Trump supporters advantaged me tremendously.

I didn't vote for him. I would never vote for him. However, as someone who sits comfortably within the 1%, Trump and people like him absolutely adore people like me.

So... Thanks for the tax breaks, I guess. I really didn't want them. I really wanted higher taxes to curb our insane class divide, a far more extensive inheritance tax (I do not like political dynasties), and more extensive social safety nets for the people who voted for Trump.

We "liberals" did not go away, no. We just lost this weird, inverse tug-of-war where we were trying to push money down the social ladder.
Yes, right, and our 401Ks haven't done too badly since Trump got elected either! Thanks for that as well!

Old 11-17-2016, 12:15 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I too am not one to waste time speculating about what might happen, but wasting time doing that hardly seems much different than posting in this forum. I agree with those sentiments as well...

I'm not sure I'm here to stay in this forum either, and either way, I'm not sure America is any more "divided" today than in the past. We've just come to recognize what this campaign for POTUS uncovered about who many Americans really are, and just how unhappy and/or unsatisfied they are. My opinion, this has to do with the ever-growing divide between the haves and have nots, the rich getting richer while the rest make do with the same-old, best they can.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is anything that can be done about that either...
I am pretty liberal (I like to think of it as "human")... and I wonder too-

I do think we are all a lot closer to one another than we realize...

Guess I will stick around and see what happens and hope we still keep our democracy over these next 4 years...

Old 11-17-2016, 12:24 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The political parties are private organizations. They can nominate whomever they please. And it's all perfectly legal.
Nobody claimed the DNC favoring Clinton was illegal. One of many reasons she and her supporters lost is their constant use of legal vs illegal. The election wasn't a court of law where she actually had to be indicted or convicted for reasonable people to conclude she was a corrupt, lying nominee-in-waiting, not that you weren't prepped in case she was indicted.

Anyway, after being mocked for months, I'm ok with the Trump supporters being a little gloaty.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:24 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times
Quote:
The political parties are private organizations. They can nominate whomever they please. And it's all perfectly legal.
That wasn't the point.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:30 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:

He's named Bannon as his chief strategist. I don't know what his "chief strategist" is supposed to do. I don't have a high opinion of Bannon, but until we find out what a "chief strategist's" role is going to be in this administration, I don't see much value in speculating..
I think in all honesty, Breitbart just lets it all hang out—the good and the bad—and they don’t sugar coat subjects like terrorism.

David Horowitz, a well-known, respected, Jewish, conservative writer came to the defense of Bannon, confirming that he has known him for many years, and he is not anti-Semitic.

Even Sen. Rand Paul said, Give Steve Bannon a Chance, he is not a racist.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:34 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Lest we forget that the Democrats even rigged THEIR OWN PRIMARY.

How anyone can be supporting that party, regardless of how bad of a candidate Trump may be, is beyond me. The fact that there wasn't a wholesale rejection of the party after the primary scandal speaks volumes about those constituents.
They rigged nothing. The DNC supported the candidate who has been a Democrat all her life. I voted for Sanders in the primary but he was and is an Independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies