Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:29 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We are finishing our summer home in Sitka. Our investments are doing very, very well -

Looking forward to putting out the crab pots -
Great news. I'm not quite the real estate guy this moment, but I'll be ready to buy with both hands when the time is right. I won't require a mortgage when I cash some of my gold so I'll wait 'till the Chinese dump our debt, causing interest rates shoot way up and forcing prices to come way down.

I'm ready to repatronize my money in Dow components when 1-2 ounces of gold can buy the index. Since the Dow is down from 20 to 13 ounces of gold from 1970 to present, it's only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
NTC, I think you could stand in the bowels of hell and find a way to open a sunscreen lotion booth. (chuckling)

Well I am frugal by nature so I won't be changing my habits a great deal as I am sure they are far more humble than most to start with. However I will be scaling back any unnecessary travel and will likely cancel my vacation this year and spend it near the house, camping, hiking, or on the lake instead.

I'll probably put a few more veggies in the garden and do a little canning. I will also probably spend much of my spare time doing home improvements, landscaping, and installing some pasture fencing.

I don't see the approach of another Great Depression or anything like that but it does seem like we are in for some rough times for a year or two, maybe even three. Since I have no real debt to speak of, I will probably just cruise through it and when I reach the other side, probably purchase some more dirt or investment housing that some over extended sucker couldn't afford to begin with.

Oh, and those rumors about using Huckabee's popcorn fryer for squirrel are completely unfounded and I deny them to the end!
That was a funny statement, you're probably right. I see things like the Human Genome, Stem Cell, Renewable Energy etc as the future. I think we will find ways to improve crop yield, live longer and healthier and enjoy life more as time goes on.

I recognize all of the problems existing today, but I don't recall a period that didn't have substantial local and international concerns. Disease, displacement and outright stupidity have always surrounded us, so it doesn't seem so unique today. I think that folks have limited resilience, and get frustrated from the bombardment of distressing news.

THT, I think the wonderful advances in life is part of what discourages you! With the information explosion, and ability to discuss things with such an open and bright group of folks, you see a flood of information not previously available. Now you get to see threats and concerns at a much greater frequency and depth then you would if only reading the local sources:

Cookeville News - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
That was a funny statement, you're probably right. I see things like the Human Genome, Stem Cell, Renewable Energy etc as the future. I think we will find ways to improve crop yield, live longer and healthier and enjoy life more as time goes on.

I recognize all of the problems existing today, but I don't recall a period that didn't have substantial local and international concerns. Disease, displacement and outright stupidity have always surrounded us, so it doesn't seem so unique today. I think that folks have limited resilience, and get frustrated from the bombardment of distressing news.

THT, I think the wonderful advances in life is part of what discourages you! With the information explosion, and ability to discuss things with such an open and bright group of folks, you see a flood of information not previously available. Now you get to see threats and concerns at a much greater frequency and depth then you would if only reading the local sources:

Cookeville News - [domain blocked due to spam]
Well NTC, thing is I have never forgotten where I started and it wasn't on the sunny side of the railroad tracks. There was a time in my life when something as simple as a meal of beans and bread wasn't a daily occurrence. The perspective that this has given me endured well into later life, even when I reached a point where I was making fist fulls of money.

You are in part right, that the information age has brought to me one of the causes of disillusion. It isn't the over loading masses of information or the weight of bad news as much as is it being able to see the views of the general population in a more concise manner. It is no secret that I call this point out in more than the occasional post. It isn't that individuals lack intelligence or the ability to think in a critical fashion, it is that logic and rationality fly out the window when the individual enters into the mod mind.

Someone once said that the optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds and that the pessimist fear that they are right. Well, oddly enough I am actually a very optimistic person in my daily life as I'm sure those on this forum who know me personally could attest. Yet it is hard for some reason to maintain such optimism in the presence of a crowd, to this I have no real answer and I would be curious if someone might have an explanation.

I can find a million ways to discover or create personal advantage, (even if it is impolite to discuss) yet if it must include the rest of humanity, I remain pessimistic.

Oh, and you may see some of my writings on that site, or in the Cookeville Herald Citizen or even the Tennessean on occasion, I'm sure you'll recognize the writing style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies