U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 06:21 PM

11,127 posts, read 13,096,136 times

Advertisements

Well after taking a quick look over the main google news page as of 7 pm on a Tuesday and it just kind of sucks bog water.

Iraq is demanding that Turkey withdraw its troops from the northern provinces in an ever widening regional conflict in the Middle East, drug resistant tuberculosis cases are expected to double by 2017, consumer confidence at a 17 year low, increasing inflation rates and worries of stagflation, government is struggling with the issue of net neutrality, and the ominous note of a doomsday seed bank under an Arctic mountain for a "just in case" scenario.

So the question is, with a rather somewhat gloomy outlook for the year, what if anything are you planning on doing in order to remain solvent and your head above water? Do you plan on altering your spending habits or investments? Plan on squirreling away a few more canned goods? Or just live and let live, go with the flow and toss a Bob Marley CD on?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:30 PM

11,513 posts, read 12,612,515 times
We're actually going on a cruise. Nothing like a little R&R.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 PM

9,043 posts, read 11,965,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
We're actually going on a cruise. Nothing like a little R&R.
Enjoy it while there are general population cruise companies still in business.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 PM

13,864 posts, read 24,639,021 times
Nothing, I am fully confident in the stock market, including overseas investments.

My core belief is that worldwide intellect will continue to create great products, technological innovations, medical advances and improving standards of living.

I'm excited about the future, and look forward to the evolution of life both here and internationally.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM

11,127 posts, read 13,096,136 times
NTC, I think you could stand in the bowels of hell and find a way to open a sunscreen lotion booth. (chuckling)

Well I am frugal by nature so I won't be changing my habits a great deal as I am sure they are far more humble than most to start with. However I will be scaling back any unnecessary travel and will likely cancel my vacation this year and spend it near the house, camping, hiking, or on the lake instead.

I'll probably put a few more veggies in the garden and do a little canning. I will also probably spend much of my spare time doing home improvements, landscaping, and installing some pasture fencing.

I don't see the approach of another Great Depression or anything like that but it does seem like we are in for some rough times for a year or two, maybe even three. Since I have no real debt to speak of, I will probably just cruise through it and when I reach the other side, probably purchase some more dirt or investment housing that some over extended sucker couldn't afford to begin with.

Oh, and those rumors about using Huckabee's popcorn fryer for squirrel are completely unfounded and I deny them to the end!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 824,204 times
I'm hedging against the dollar, investing in a number of stable overseas consumer and industrial concerns that draw revenue in good, stable currencies (Euros mainly, but I still love Brazil and Argentina), hawking for value in the US market particularly with inflation proof brands and looking to pick up some cheap real estate here or there (mainly heavily tanking lots and land)....

I'm a value investor. Markets like this are what we wait for, sometimes for a long, long time while everyone else is dancing in the streets and insisting that things will never go down. When the bloods in the water, we come out and LOL all the way to the bank while riding on the coffins of all the dead bulls.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
I'm hedging against the dollar, investing in a number of good overseas consumer and industrial brands that draw revenue in good, stable currencies, hawking for value in the US market particularly with inflation proof companies and looking to pick up some cheap real estate here or ther (mainly lots and land plays)....

I'm a value investor. Markets like this are what we wait for, sometimes for a long, long time while everyone else is dancing in the streets and insisting that things will never go down. When the bloods in the water, we come out and LOL all the way to the bank.
hehe...europac client?

Old 02-26-2008, 07:13 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 824,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
hehe...europac client?
LOL! No. I manage all of my own $$$ but I do subscribe to a few services (Whitney Tilsons, for example)

That's just a page out of my 2006 playbook

Old 02-26-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
LOL! No. I manage all of my own $$$ but I do subscribe to a few services (Whitney Tilsons, for example)

That's just a page out of my 2006 playbook
Heard that.

I don't have one red cent in dollar denominated assets. Mostly Canadian trusts earning 10-15% dividends, Hong Kong infrastructure/road building companies, Aussie mining, Perth Mint gold, physical bullion

However, I'm also predicting that the dollar is going to crack through the floor when the redemptions come in for treasuries and the Fed starts printing lots and lots of money for entitlement programs since the Dems will likely win in a landslide. Asset deflation (cars, real estate, domestic stocks) coupled with monetary inflation = cha-ching.

The only problem with buying these puppies is that most require a very manual process to purchase. Scottrade doesn't exactly offer $7 commish for these bad boys.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 PM

25,106 posts, read 36,317,197 times
We are finishing our summer home in Sitka. Our investments are doing very, very well -

Looking forward to putting out the crab pots -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies