Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 10:59 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
BTW...about a year ago I traced my lineage back to a slave named Milton Jackson who was owned by a white man named Andrew Jackson. I did it through census records and draft records.

And for the poster above talking about welfare. For the first forty years welfare was like 90% white. Whites were given land and affordable loan rates. Amongst other things. Blacks haven't benefitted from welfare as much as whites have. People still in the welfare queen stereotype.

That computes........ Blacks are only 12% of the population.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:02 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
The problem with this bull**** stance is that your assuming Africa was some hell hole that Africans were saved from. Africa was stripped of resources by those same Europeans. They created a problem and then tried to act like they should get some of credit for letting up. I haven't heard a single legit argument as to why blacks shouldn't receive reparations. Its all "well nobody from then is alive"....well what about in 1866 or 1870 or 1890 or 1900 etc...and again wealth is passed down in the us so those former slaves should had wealth paid that they were owed and that wealth would have been passed down.

As mentioned earlier...........What about the union soldiers who fought for your freedom? If you are owed reparations for being enslaved...........The soldiers families are owed compensation for their ancestors deaths...........You gonna pay that?

Old 11-18-2016, 11:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
That computes........ Blacks are only 12% of the population.
But as a population by percentage blacks are far more connected to government by welfare or the vast over-employment of blacks in government.

President Johnson the racist said he gave the N-words welfare so they will vote Democrat the next 200 years.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:05 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
America went out off its way to liberate and create a nation state for the Jew and no one bats an eye.
This is why Bernie wouldn't have won either.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:10 AM

15,528 posts, read 10,496,731 times
"What's A Good Argument Against Reparation?"

We have 32 great great great grandparents and 64 great great great great grandparents. Do you know if any of yours owned slaves? Do you even know their racial identity? Well, I sure don't, heck I can't even find all of mine. The whole thing is stupid.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:14 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Okay, I'll give you a good argument.

My disclaimer is that I am a lawyer, and I enjoy arguing for a living

I would like to begin by presenting "reparation" as it has been used both by the modern American government and several others. That is to say, reparations have been used by both our government and several others. The case for reparation is not exclusive to African Americans.

Perhaps the most poignant example in favor of reparation is the recognition that something in the past occurred which systematically and severely disenfranchised a category of people. Their circumstances in today's world are so directly related to that disenfranchisement that there is sense in making the action to offer reparation.

We learned, the hard way, why we always make reparations. Especially to those who seemingly deserve it not at all. Look no further than Germany in WWI. The United States, and several other countries, imposed severe restrictions on Germany as punishment. This gave rise to the extremely bitter sentiment that allowed the Nazi party to thrive. Our actions had created a group of extremely disenfranchised people who felt that their very core identity had been attacked, and the payment of their debts made economic recovery so agonizing that quite a lot of people liked what the Nazi party had to say.

Twenty years later, we corrected course after WWII. We very specifically and very correctly knew that the path to healing, the path without further war, would come only from reparation.

And here, I have two asides:

The first is that I am in no way claiming that the African American community is equivalent to Nazi Germany. That would of course be ridiculous.

The second is that reparations serve a very calculated political purpose: it makes the losing party less likely to retaliate. They feel that they "got even" even if they lost.

China and Japan do not enjoy a healthy relationship today in large part because the Chinese feel (quite correctly) that an apology for Japan's actions in WWII did nothing to actually help with the horrors committed.

Apologies are nice but no one cares about them. They want retribution, acknowledgment, financial aid, or some combination of the three.

Finally, I would like to point out that reparations to the African American community need not be financial. I think the best reparation that can be offered, right now, is for the GOP to cease its voter suppression in the south.

That sort of acknowledgment, of historical racism plaguing African Americans in the south, would not cost anyone a dollar in cash. It would instead acknowledge that a problem exists, it has existed as a result of historical events, and it would put to an end so much of the injustice committed as a consequence.

So, there you have it. A very brief and incomplete history of reparations, a case for reparations today, and something that would end so much of the hostility in this nation.

You don't want elected GOP officials to continue denying your countrymen the right to vote, right?

Old 11-18-2016, 11:19 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Just wondering if it is only the USA that must pay repetitions for owning slaves or should every country/culture that ever participated in slave trading should have to make repetitions as well? If so Africans and by their heirs, African Americans will owe a lot of money to the Jews.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:25 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Just wondering if it is only the USA that must pay repetitions for owning slaves or should every country/culture that ever participated in slave trading should have to make repetitions as well? If so Africans and by their heirs, African Americans will owe a lot of money to the Jews.
I would like very much for the Danish to be forced to deal with the ****show they left us.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:30 AM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Not sure why it matters. The vast majority of descendants of U.S. slaves aren't looking for reparations. Why not worry about your own heritage? Strange.

I am not a descendant of U.S. slaves but I certainly take no issue if African-Americans today were to receive reparations on behalf of their ancestors who were enslaved. It's the right thing to do.

That so many people are so hellbent against it says much about their characters. And so many of them claim to be Christians, but I hope they remember that in the place that they hope to go, the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

Why is it the right thing to do?

Throughout history tribes conquered and enslaved tribes. Empires rose and countries evolved on the backs of many. Many peoples were enslaved, many were abused, discriminated against, killed. Its our history. Its who we are as a human race. If we start believing we need to monetarily compensate those among us today because of the sins of our fathers where does it end. The Native Americans were persecuted and as well as enslaved, the Irish were enslaved, the Chinese were mistreated, women were denied rights. Pretty much everyone except the elite European white male has a grievance.

I'm not sure why you bring Christians into it. Christians throughout history have been enslaved as well. And what exactly does it say about someones character that they don't believe they are responsible for historical events?

Old 11-18-2016, 11:36 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
...I am not a descendant of U.S. slaves but I certainly take no issue if African-Americans today were to receive reparations on behalf of their ancestors who were enslaved. It's the right thing to do...
Okay, if you think it is the right thing to do, get out your checkbook and start writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies