Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 05:38 AM

645 posts, read 707,014 times

Advertisements

interesting

Old 01-31-2017, 06:19 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
I expect this same question might come up during Sessions, confirmation hearings and might just be a question or two on immigration laws.

Quote:
President Trump’s selection for attorney general once questioned Sally Yates during a confirmation hearing in 2015 about whether the role of an attorney general was simply follow marching orders from the sitting president.

Sessions once asked Yates about AG's responsibility to say 'no' to a president | Fox News

Old 01-31-2017, 06:50 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Wow!!! How appropriate and telling about Sessions's politicization since he obviously was considering if she would pushback on Obama's over-reaching...
Of course her answer ties into her actions
And shows what happens when the President and his whisperers don't want legal advice from the AG...

Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 AM

If you look back on Loretta Lynch's confirmation hearings many of the same questions were asked of her, this should prove really interesting. Sessions is probably saying to himself, why did Trump do this now wasn't my hearing complicated enough.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If you look back on Loretta Lynch's confirmation hearings many of the same questions were asked of her, this should prove really interesting. Sessions is probably saying to himself, why did Trump do this now wasn't my hearing complicated enough.
Sessions is going to play least in sight until he is confirmed--
I don't think he can be recalled to answer questions now that he is passing out of committee...
So putting his feet to the fire isn't going to be possible...

What Trump/Bannon might have wanted to accomplish with that EO could have been done in a way that minimized the negatives and made it seem they knew what they were doing--
And were doing it in line w/other Congressional leaders' thinking and approval...
After the secretive way they went about it, Trump's minions have created lot of discord w/in the three legs of government--Executive, Judicial, and Legislative...

If Trump doesn't trust his own Cabinet members--what does that say about his judgement???
Mattis, Kelley, Pompeo were not consulted prior to the implementation of the travel ban---
They were asked for no input as to the language of the EO, had no chance to address any problems like the Green Card alien residents' treatment, nor the exclusion of people like the interpreters for the Army/Marines who usually are fast-tracked due to their prior history...

The idea that you have people Trump PICKED for these jobs who basically are considered not worth consulting when THEIR depts either have to implement or deal with the blowback of this EO shows that Trump has no idea or desire to really cooperate with other government agencies--
He believes he can basically rule by fiat--by EO--and force all other gov't entities to just do what he has said
That is not how government works--even when all three branches basically belong to the same party

Trump is clueless but Bannon has worked at the Pentagon and he understands the chain of command and how you don't just make decisions for other people to carry out w/o some advance warning and consulting...
Bannon just doesn't care now that he has Trump's ear/power in his pocket...
Most of the people in Trump's camp have NO gov't experience-take pride in NOT having gov't experience--
But in some ways this is like getting your car mechanic to work on your AC or do a root canal...
Just because he does a great job on your car doesn't mean he can be effective doing other jobs for you...

Trump has said over and over that he wants to be President of ALL Americans--
What he really means is that he wants all the people to agree with HIM--my way or the highway--vs building a consensus of opinion...
Sean Spicer saying that the State Dept people who used the channel to disagree with the EO's provisions were basically told dissent has no place in this Admin--when doing what they did was designed strictly for that purpose...they are LEGALLY entitled to that option and LEGALLY cannot be penalized for doing so...

His supporters might love what he is doing but so far they have been insulated from the blowback...

Old 01-31-2017, 08:24 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
I expect this same question might come up during Sessions, confirmation hearings and might just be a question or two on immigration laws.

Sessions once asked Yates about AG's responsibility to say 'no' to a president | Fox News
Sally Yates responded that it was the responsibility of the Justice Department to "Follow the Law & the Constitution".

She freely admitted that the DOJ reviewed the Trump Executive Order and found it was Legal, but she didn't like it - so she ordered her attorneys to not follow the Legal Executive Order.

The Justice Department confirmed its Office of Legal Counsel had done a review of the order to determine whether it was "on its face, lawful, and properly drafted."

But the objections Yates raised in her letter pointed out that the OLC review didn't consider statements "made by an administration or its surrogates...that may bear on the order's purpose."

It really doesn't matter what other people say - the Media says it's a "Muslim Ban" - except it clearly is not when there are 48 Muslim Majority Countries and only 7 (those with Terrorist infestation & training camps) are listed in the Executive Order. It doesn't matter if Ms Sally likes it or not - the DOJ review said it was Legal and their job is to Follow the Law - not follow the Leftist Public Opinion and Media hype.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 AM

Senate Panel Approves Rick Perry As Energy Secretary
January 31, 2017 9:10 AM |CBS News

Tuesday the committee voted 17-6 to approve Perry’s nomination, sending it to the full Senate.
Those opposed to Perry were Sens. Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Al Franken (D-MN), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Ron Wyden (D-OR), and Martin Heinrich (D-NM).

In a series of committee votes, the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee approved the nominations of Rep. Ryan Zinke (R-MT) and former Texas Gov. Rick Perry to join President Donald Trump's cabinet.

Zinke has been approved to serve as the Interior secretary. Zinke was approved by a 16-6 vote. Sens. Mazie Hirono (D-HI), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Al Franken (D-MN), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), and Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) voted against Zinke.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Sally Yates responded that it was the responsibility of the Justice Department to "Follow the Law & the Constitution".

She freely admitted that the DOJ reviewed the Trump Executive Order and found it was Legal, but she didn't like it - so she ordered her attorneys to not follow the Legal Executive Order.

The Justice Department confirmed its Office of Legal Counsel had done a review of the order to determine whether it was "on its face, lawful, and properly drafted."

But the objections Yates raised in her letter pointed out that the OLC review didn't consider statements "made by an administration or its surrogates...that may bear on the order's purpose."

It really doesn't matter what other people say - the Media says it's a "Muslim Ban" - except it clearly is not when there are 48 Muslim Majority Countries and only 7 (those with Terrorist infestation & training camps) are listed in the Executive Order. It doesn't matter if Ms Sally likes it or not - the DOJ review said it was Legal and their job is to Follow the Law - not follow the Leftist Public Opinion and Media hype.
I will leave that to the lawyers, if she was right or wrong considering Trumps statements and intent in her decision to refuse to defend the XO will be debated. Trump's statements were also raised in the Bergdahl Court Martial this past year and will be raised again since he is now president.

Sessions confirmation hearings going on right now and Senator Leahy is brining up exactly that issue.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I will leave that to the lawyers, if she was right or wrong considering Trumps statements and intent in her decision to refuse to defend the XO will be debated. Trump's statements were also raised in the Bergdahl Court Martial this past year and will be raised again since he is now president.

Sessions confirmation hearings going on right now and Senator Leahy is brining up exactly that issue.
The Democrat Stompy-Foots are boycotting the Treasury and HHS hearings.
All Obstruction - All the time. That's the way to win the "real people" as Nancy Pelosi calls them.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:44 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I, as a woman, am so ashamed of the women that I hear speaking at the judicial committee speaking about Sessions (actually just stalling for time), they are setting woman back playing the "vagina" card. It always seems to be them trying to delay the process. Of course, as we know, they are still bitter that it was "time" for a female POTUS. They need to get their head out of their vaginas and honor the process that is in place of which they approved until the morally, mentally and physically Hillary Clinton was defeated.

I don't understand why these women and the other Democrats think that rights of Americans in our country extend to every corner of the world. We cannot take in every person here and make their problems our problems. We have enough of our own problems to address.

It has become more than clear over the past year and a half that the Democrats do not have the best interest of our citizens.

Cruz will now speak, and I have been anxious to hear him. As we know, he was not a supporter of Trump, so he should be unbiased. As much as I think Cruz is a horse's butt, I feel his knowledge of the Constitution is superior to probably any other. Got to catch every word!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies