Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 08:36 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Nah. When it's about transfering public funding & the obligations of public schools are not transferred along with? Public schools are required to take everyone. Private or parochial schools are the ones that get to pick & choose.
Then why not use nature as an example. Speciation and specialization. Why not accept the fact that all individuals are just that, individuals who learn different things at different rates each in their own different environments. I have a feeling if you let people learn what they want that with each new subject the learn they move back towards the singularity of astrophysics.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20170...ation-of-life/

https://www.ted.com/talks/donald_hof...ality_as_it_is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=ETrYE4MdoLQ

Old 02-05-2017, 09:16 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Then why not use nature as an example. Speciation and specialization. Why not accept the fact that all individuals are just that, individuals who learn different things at different rates each in their own different environments. I have a feeling if you let people learn what they want that with each new subject the learn they move back towards the singularity of astrophysics.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20170...ation-of-life/

https://www.ted.com/talks/donald_hof...ality_as_it_is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=share&v=ETrYE4MdoLQ
Interesting articles.

How would we be using nature as an example in education? Specifically.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
So let me guess, your recommendation would be to eliminate schools and just allow kids to learn on their own? WHAT A PLAN!!!

Old 02-05-2017, 08:29 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So let me guess, your recommendation would be to eliminate schools and just allow kids to learn on their own? WHAT A PLAN!!!
Um, no, hit the technology is there to allow each child to learn at their own pace. People do not learn at the same places in their lives and if there's one lesson to take from the 20th century it's that people learn things specific to their own survival.

What does that mean?

If the child is worried about being murdered in a drive by shooting then that is what the child will focus on and all of that child's capital will go to staying alive.

I'm not sure what it would look like but I imagine a system able to easily adapt to each child's special needs. Molding the child all the way through their impressionable ages all the way to adulthood. Some children choose music while others science or law. What you ultimately find as society makes gains in intellect all the disciplines come to a singularity.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:39 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,516 times
Until public education stops being a jobs program for pedophiles, it should have no funding from taxes. Kick out the people who are just there to rape children, stop paying severance packages and/or retirement benefits from others, and education will be much more affordable and create much fewer negative externalities on the economy.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
Until public education stops being a jobs program for pedophiles, it should have no funding from taxes. Kick out the people who are just there to rape children, stop paying severance packages and/or retirement benefits from others, and education will be much more affordable and create much fewer negative externalities on the economy.
wow, I've never heard that claim made before. Schools run extensive background checks on all of their employees, but they don't have some kind of 'predictive' test to determine who might be a sex offender if they have never been arrested or convicted of a sex offense.

And good luck finding a qualified college graduate who will work for $40,000 a year without any benefits or retirement.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Um, no, hit the technology is there to allow each child to learn at their own pace. People do not learn at the same places in their lives and if there's one lesson to take from the 20th century it's that people learn things specific to their own survival.

What does that mean?

If the child is worried about being murdered in a drive by shooting then that is what the child will focus on and all of that child's capital will go to staying alive.

I'm not sure what it would look like but I imagine a system able to easily adapt to each child's special needs. Molding the child all the way through their impressionable ages all the way to adulthood. Some children choose music while others science or law. What you ultimately find as society makes gains in intellect all the disciplines come to a singularity.
The problem I have with it is the same one you have - you aren't sure what it would look like. If you are talking about a teaching philosophy like Montessori that allows kids to explore and learn at their own pace (without ignoring requirements for learning basic skills) then I would agree that seems to be an acceptable approach and some people love it. But my personal preference, at least for my 5 year old grandson, is what they call here a "fundamental school" which is completely focused on academic achievement, involves homework and early immersion in STEM courses

Old 02-06-2017, 11:41 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Default Confirmation Vote on Betsy DeVos

Final vote on DeVos is tomorrow, 2/7/17. I've never heard so much opposition to one cabinet nominee and a lot of it is from across all political parties. If at least one more republican doesn't put an end to this, there may be a revolt that will surpass all those before. Trump had better hope they boot her to the curb.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:45 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Unfortunately, she has donated money to many of the Republicans who are voting to support her. Not sure how many may still be on the fence.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Unfortunately, she has donated money to many of the Republicans who are voting to support her. Not sure how many may still be on the fence.
Like the press all donated Democrat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies