Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 12:56 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
lisa - You must be in Nassau or Westchester County! Those people would say that the tax difference is "completely justified" by the quality of their school systems compared to NYC and it's a small price to pay!
How did you guess??? Yes, Westchester I do admit though, public schools are great here. We do pay for it though. Especially looking at the tax difference between NYC and Westchester.. Small price to pay for educating our future, I guess.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:56 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Republicans should have taken an honest measure of DeVos's ability and level of competency to be secretary of education. If competition means giving Carte Blanche to someone who contributes $$$, instead of the ability, what kind of lesson is that to our youth?
Progressives are not fit to measure ability because they have none. They are worthless trash who talk a lot of BS, but do nothing.

Run along, your opinion means nothing.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:59 PM

25,551 posts, read 17,251,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The Republicans should have taken an honest measure of DeVos's ability and level of competency to be secretary of education. If competition means giving Carte Blanche to someone who contributes $$$, instead of the ability, what kind of lesson is that to our youth?
The lesson?
I don't know. You tell me.

But while you are explaining it, be sure to explain to us all how giving thousands upon thousands of dollars to Republican candidates (which she has) makes sense since her salary will be $1 per year.
Is this greed, do you think?

Old 02-07-2017, 01:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Progressives are not fit to measure ability because they have none. They are worthless trash who talk a lot of BS, but do nothing.

Run along, your opinion means nothing.
You offer no meaningful response, argument, or debate.

If I interviewed for a job giving answers as DeVos gave, I wouldn't get the job. First and foremost, the hearing should be a job interview during which the nominee demonstrates their qualifications for the appointment. DeVos has none.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The lesson?
I don't know. You tell me.

But while you are explaining it, be sure to explain to us all how giving thousands upon thousands of dollars to Republican candidates (which she has) makes sense since her salary will be $1 per year.
Is this greed, do you think?
No, but the money changing hands does not make DeVos any more qualified. It does buy
Republican votes apparently.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:09 PM

Shall we test our children's "proficiency" the same way that the GOP tested DeVos's proficiency?

Old 02-07-2017, 01:12 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
What was the grizzley bear thing she said?
Citing grizzlies, Betsy DeVos says states should determine school gun policies - CNNPolitics.com

She cited an example made by a WY senator referencing the need for a fence around a rural school in Wyoming that was installed to keep bears out. Wapiti is located between Cody WY and the east gate of Yellowstone National Park, in the Shoshone National Forest. Bear sightings (both black and brown bears) are common.

People can laugh but life in the west (outside of major cities of course) is very different from what many may be used to, and grizzly bear attacks are a major consideration. While we lived in Cody we met a retired Maryland police officer who was attacked by a grizzly bear on his own property. He still has the scar (running from his ear all the way down to underneath his jawline) where the bear tore his jaw away from his face. Thankfully he ended up shooting and killing the bear, and saving his own life.

Right before we left Cody a man was attacked by a grizzly - also on his own property. His dog drew the bear onto the property and the man was attacked while working on his irrigation system. Bit his nose and one side of his face off.

In addition to bears, cougars are common in this area.

There are also a number of western-state schools who allow trained teachers to carry on school property.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:16 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Citing grizzlies, Betsy DeVos says states should determine school gun policies - CNNPolitics.com

She cited an example made by a WY senator referencing the need for a fence around a rural school in Wyoming that was installed to keep bears out. Wapiti is located between Cody WY and the east gate of Yellowstone National Park, in the Shoshone National Forest. Bear sightings (both black and brown bears) are common.

People can laugh but life in the west (outside of major cities of course) is very different from what many may be used to, and grizzly bear attacks are a major consideration. While we lived in Cody we met a retired Maryland police officer who was attacked by a grizzly bear on his own property. He still has the scar (running from his ear all the way down to underneath his jawline) where the bear tore his jaw away from his face. Thankfully he ended up shooting and killing the bear, and saving his own life.

Right before we left Cody a man was attacked by a grizzly - also on his own property. His dog drew the bear onto the property and the man was attacked while working on his irrigation system. Bit his nose and one side of his face off.

In addition to bears, cougars are common in this area.

There are also a number of western-state schools who allow trained teachers to carry on school property.
But you guys are just ignorant deplorable clowns to the left.
You are the punchline to their unfunny inside jokes.

That's what makes me so sick about them.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,634,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
So do thing the Obama planned worked out.??

The issue you are so proud of is the ones the Liberals created the past 8 years.

I hope Devos shacks up the education world so we can have education that works. Even works for the common teachers who tends to their class and grade papers till midnight!
By lowering teacher's pay, which is already low. My GF is 4 in to teaching a making $41k/year. I'm 4 years into a marketing career and am making $67k/year. She works significantly more than I do.

Private schools pay teachers even less than public schools. She had an offer for a solid $31k/year as a private school teacher vs the $37k/year as a public school teacher.

The average rent in Denver for a 1br apartment is around $1000. She would have to scrape by afford to live on her own on a public school salary, and wouldn't be able ton a private school salary

Old 02-07-2017, 01:22 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
By lowering teacher's pay, which is already low. My GF is 4 in to teaching a making $41k/year. I'm 4 years into a marketing career and am making $67k/year. She works significantly more than I do.

Private schools pay teachers even less than public schools. She had an offer for a solid $31k/year as a private school teacher vs the $37k/year as a public school teacher.

The average rent in Denver for a 1br apartment is around $1000. She would have to scrape by afford to live on her own on a public school salary, and wouldn't be able ton a private school salary
Yes, and when you have two months off a year without work and a guaranteed pension, these are some of the trade offs that are made. In your marketing job, do you get to take off two months? Does your employer garuntee you a pension when you retire or do you have to risk your own money in 401k contributions with the hope of being able to retire comfortably one day? Not saying that teaching is an easy job, but the compensation structure just provides different benefits that aren't necessarily up front and in cash, plus the work structure/schedule is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.