Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 04:59 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,175,053 times

Advertisements

Omg.

Ben Carson gave a speech that compared slaves who were captured, chained and forced to come here to immigrants who came here looking for a better life!!!

“That's what America is about. A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less,” said Carson, speaking extemporaneously as he paced the room with a microphone. “But they, too, had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f05f0459c35f

Old 03-06-2017, 07:08 PM

51,581 posts, read 25,565,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Save your partisan excuses for someone who cares, I simply pointed out that your statement in red that I highlighted was completely wrong.
It was a feeble attempt at best.

Lot of presidents have had affairs and mistresses and there's never been any outcry about potential blackmail until Republicans thought they'd use this to try and could get rid of a Democrat who was doing a decent job, economy was rolling along, surplus budget. Can't have that now, can we?

This Russian business actually does have significant potential for blackmail. This may already be the case, and Republicans are shrugging it off like it's no big deal.

Like I said, feeble.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,934,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It was a feeble attempt at best.

Lot of presidents have had affairs and mistresses and there's never been any outcry about potential blackmail until Republicans thought they'd use this to try and could get rid of a Democrat who was doing a decent job, economy was rolling along, surplus budget. Can't have that now, can we?

This Russian business actually does have significant potential for blackmail. This may already be the case, and Republicans are shrugging it off like it's no big deal.

Like I said, feeble.
Again, making excuses because its "your" party this time or pushing harder because its the "other" party and they said it first doesn't change the black and white facts. Intelligence agencies and military branches identify infidelity as a huge security risk, and political party has absolutely 100% nothing to do with that. I don't care what political hacks want to push for investigations or impeachments or whatever, its not a grey area. Infidelity, cheating, or whatever you want to call it opens a huge national security risk for any POTUS or high level government or military official, period.

Whether its Clinton getting BJs in the oval office, or Kennedy and Monroe, my original point was that you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
as if a husband lying about a blow job had any impact whatsoever on national security.
And there is nothing further from the truth, so stop trying to spin it with finger pointing about other parties. The statement is dead wrong, no questions asked.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Omg.

Ben Carson gave a speech that compared slaves who were captured, chained and forced to come here to immigrants who came here looking for a better life!!!

“That's what America is about. A land of dreams and opportunity. There were other immigrants who came here in the bottom of slave ships, worked even longer, even harder for less,” said Carson, speaking extemporaneously as he paced the room with a microphone. “But they, too, had a dream that one day their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, great grandsons, great granddaughters might pursue prosperity and happiness in this land.”

Well, we know Trump is influenced by news crawls, Breitbart, and Alek Jones and Fox News--
Guess Carson gets lot of his black history from watching "Roots"...

But this speech and concept -- coming from an AA supposedly "educated" man, especially--just blows..
I can't believe anyone who reads this would come away with a positive impression...
So now not only is Trump off his nut, but looks like Carson is hanging by a thread...
and they both should NEVER be allowed to speak extemporaneously...NEVER...

Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 PM

42,753 posts, read 25,976,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Bill Clinton is N/A
Lynch didn't recuse herself.
Obama was investigated multiple times, but the DOJ stonewalled Congress. Hint: AG Holder was the first AG to be held in contempt of Congress.
You might want to go back and fact check some of that.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:36 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,824,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Omg.

I can kinda see what he meant to say, but this is just plain clunky. Had Carson avoided using the word "immigrants" and instead noted that some came to these shores unwillingly, under extreme duress and in chains, yet they, too, never lost hope that someday their descendants would be free to chart their own courses, it probably would have passed unnoticed.

But calling enslaved people "immigrants", though technically correct, really strikes a sour chord, and since those who were imprisoned on the hellish slave ships had no idea where they were going or what awaited them, if they even thought of their future progeny, it was probably with great apprehension and fear. Who would want to bring a child into that situation?

Old 03-08-2017, 04:35 PM

32,905 posts, read 12,203,630 times
Default Trump taps Jon Huntsman Jr. to be the next US Ambassador to Russia...vetting to begin

Huntsman to be Russia ambassador | Fox News

Re ambassadorships, he has previously served as U.S. Ambassador to Singapore, and U.S. Ambassador to China.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:28 PM

15,497 posts, read 15,485,855 times
I remember Huntsman seeming like a rare example of a sane, intelligent Republican.

He'd make a better president than Trump.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:32 PM

25,598 posts, read 56,301,809 times
I've always been very impressed with Huntsman. He is a Republican I could vote for without hesitation absent a decent Democrat.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:47 PM

4,646 posts, read 4,515,438 times
I can support this move. For the most part, I like Huntsman... he's the Penn alumnus I'd rather have in the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies