Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 01:14 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times

Advertisements

We don't need a General Patton, we need something more like Omar Bradley or George Marshall. I do think that Mattis had some hawkish views during his time in Iraq & Afghanistan but then again his was a general in battle. I do think his nickname doesn't do him justice and belies his demeanor, seems very educated and thoughtful from what I have read.

Still it's been over 60 years since we had a waiver for a SOS.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:29 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We don't need a General Patton, we need something more like Omar Bradley or George Marshall. I do think that Mattis had some hawkish views during his time in Iraq & Afghanistan but then again his was a general in battle. I do think his nickname doesn't do him justice and belies his demeanor, seems very educated and thoughtful from what I have read.

I agree with you, especially the bold.

I think General Mattis is bad news for the Iran deal, but he is a great war time General.

As a general in Iraq, Mattis "traveled the battlefield" to stay in touch with his troops, which meant that he and the small group of Marines he traveled with got "into rolling firefights outside the wire."

He also met with sheiks to continue the effort to win over the locals.

Let's not forget that his nickname is mad dog also warrior monk.

I read an article online says Congress has only once passed a waiver to this rule, in 1950, when President Harry Truman nominated retired five-star Gen. George Marshall to the post. (Marshall stayed on the job for a year.) Mattis is very popular on Capitol Hill and will almost certainly get a waiver as well.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:32 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:

i suspect what you probably want is older version of pajama boy with a generals star.

Suffice it to say, Donald Trump appears to have a different idea in mind.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
I think Mattis might the the only cabinet guy to call Trump's bluff and speak truth to power
The question is --well 2--
Will he get the waver he needs to be confirmed Sec Def
And will he be willing to abide Trump's no-nothing mentality and vascillating

Old 12-02-2016, 02:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think Mattis might the the only cabinet guy to call Trump's bluff and speak truth to power
The question is --well 2--
Will he get the waver he needs to be confirmed Sec Def
And will he be willing to abide Trump's no-nothing mentality and vascillating
And I am Democrat
I find it very insightful (about him) that Trump used the nickname Mad Dog vs Warrior Monk
He is a very cerebral military mind
I think Putin wont like this--so good in my book

Old 12-02-2016, 02:54 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with you, especially the bold.

I think General Mattis is bad news for the Iran deal, but he is a great war time General.

As a general in Iraq, Mattis "traveled the battlefield" to stay in touch with his troops, which meant that he and the small group of Marines he traveled with got "into rolling firefights outside the wire."

He also met with sheiks to continue the effort to win over the locals.

Let's not forget that his nickname is mad dog also warrior monk.

I read an article online says Congress has only once passed a waiver to this rule, in 1950, when President Harry Truman nominated retired five-star Gen. George Marshall to the post. (Marshall stayed on the job for a year.) Mattis is very popular on Capitol Hill and will almost certainly get a waiver as well.
Mattis has publicly said that it would be crazy for a President to back out of the Iran deal now that it is in place.

I think that Mattis will eventually get a waiver, but it is not likely to be a breeze, especially given the tenor of some of his public statements, the Administration that will try to get him through, and the war with which he is most closely associated--Iraq 2.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:04 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Chris Christie's name is being floated as the new head of the Republican National Committee (RNC), replacing Reince Priebus. This looks like a very excellent pick. I certainly cannot think of anyone better.

Quote:
Chris Christie for RNC Chair?

Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus will be joining the Trump Administration as the incoming White House chief of staff, leaving his current position open. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has reportedly expressed interest in the job.

When the Republican Party controls the White House, the president can nominate his/her pick for RNC chair. However, the nominee must be approved by the 168-member committee. Being the past RGA chair, Christie would be a good fit for the role. He already knows many people on the committee and has experience in managing campaign strategy across the country.

Other contenders for the position are Mercedes Schlapp, Ronna Romney McDaniel, and Nick Ayers. Schlapp served in the George W. Bush administration, McDaniel (niece to Mitt Romney and early Trump supporter) currently serves on the committee, and Ayers is a political operative based in Georgia.
Christie does not appear to be a lock for the job at this point. However, he did help Trump a lot on the campaign trail early on. Surely Trump is not going to forget that now. Is he?

Old 12-02-2016, 03:10 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
i suspect what you probably want is older version of pajama boy with a generals star.

Suffice it to say, Donald Trump appears to have a different idea in mind.
No not really but I would prefer a civilian, I thought Robert Gates was a very good DOD Secretary. He was fair but he was also tough and fired several generals and other leaders including at Robert Reid when they messed up, that was refreshing.

He may be confirmed but Trump's display, including using his nickname Mad Dog doesn't help towards getting a waiver. He needs to become more presidential and undertand that he needs to compromise and cut down on the bluster, the election is over, he is president elect.

Mattis doesn't get to set policy and decide what happens to Iran, that is up to others. Just overseeing some of the miltary purchases will keep him busy.

Last edited by Goodnight; 12-02-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-02-2016, 04:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
If Christie wins the (D)'s can all throw out a cheer. Hopefully the (D)'s would go ahead and get charges pressed against Christie and put the country ahead of what is best for them.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:

Still it's been over 60 years since we had a waiver for a SOD.
well said, and i agree. a good secdef will be a mixture of the generals you indicated, including having a bit of patton in him. and i think mattis is exactly that. i think mattis is exactly what the DOD needs to shack things up and straighten out the mes over there.

will he get the necessary waiver? i think so. i think when he steps up in front of the senate, and expresses himself, and they see exactly who this guy is, they will approve the waiver.

if they dont however, then perhaps trump will put him for a different position where he can still to lot of good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies