Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:53 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Okay, I will take this since I'm not sure what Facebook pages I need to post on to give a little balance. Al Sharpton is a race baiter and a huckster who has taken a very real issue, used it for his own gain, helped create an atmosphere where it is difficult to have an honest discussion about it, and therefore created a larger chasm where bridges could have been built. And yes, BLM has devolved into something that is resembling a terrorist group. Any group that's intent is destruction is not an advocate, groups that are seeking resolution and altering distrustful attitudes do not achieve it by destruction and becoming the very stereotype they are trying to prove are incorrect.

Equal is equal. If you don't people to dismiss your experiences and concerns a good start would be modeling how you want to be treated when interacting with them.
I can agree with that. I will say I don't know how close BLM was tied to the rioting, especially looting. Thing is, you never know how high up the group was operating. Could have been more agitators than the leaders in the front. I also think you protest racism very differently than police corruption.

The national chain (brand) dissolved, so the money collected is??? Don't think the local chapters are getting funded by the national brand and they're largely white according to some.

None of the leadership checked out and had done anything related before Ferguson. All shady ties that cycled back to Dems in this case or media. None leaders in Ferguson or the movement.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:49 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,094,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
You know what's funny...white people bring up black lives matter (the actual group), Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc...more than black people do. For the most part, white people have built up these codewords to be like strawmen for whatever debate they get into with blacks. If white people stopped giving BLM attention, 90% of your "issues" with them would go away, believe it or not. Whites pretty much work themselves up over BLM. I'm black, follow a lot of black things/people online, know about a lot of black issues etc...and BLM doesn't even come up that much to be honest. Any facebook comment section about anything black related its always white people like "blm are terrorists" or "al Sharpton is a race-baiter" when the issue will have nothing to do with either of them.
OP is black and has spoken out against BLM since Ferguson.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:20 AM

269 posts, read 134,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Michael Brown Sr. as well as Erica Garner both have some harsh criticisms for Black Lives Matter. "They came like thieves in the night" was Brown's words in regards to their actions.

Garner complained of her father being 'used' for political gains rather than addressing the cause.

The Original groups of The Movement have all been screaming about the BLack Lives Matter COINTEL and corruption from day 1.

Remember, Deray McKesson was vetted as a Democratic surrogate which was revealed in the DNC Wiki Leaks.

BLM Tried To Gain From Mike Brown's Death, Father Says | The Daily Caller

Taking Back the Radio - Black Lives Matter, COINTEL of the Revolution

Taking Back the Radio - Deray McKesson COINTEL Agent

Wikileaks DNC email dump reveals curious vetting process of Deray McKesson | The Daily Dot
Micheal Brown Sr is ok to feel however he wants about a political movement.

But what's I find to be truly truly reprehensible is the same individuals who call his son a thug who got what he had coming who in no way care about Mike Brown or respect his father in any manner would pretend they care about his opinion about anything.

They only see it as an opportunity to attack BLM they don't give one damn about either though.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:12 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by refineryworker73 View Post

But what's I find to be truly truly reprehensible is the same individuals who call his son a thug who got what he had coming who in no way care about Mike Brown or respect his father in any manner would pretend they care about his opinion about anything.

They only see it as an opportunity to attack BLM they don't give one damn about either though.
That alone doesn't exonerate BLM.
It is enlightening to see that BLM isn't universally accepted and that people are making an effort to distance themselves from them.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refineryworker73 View Post

I think you have to be careful not to confuse the issues, with the branding that BLM tried to attribute to those issues. BLM being corrupt doesn't discredit the issue, it just means the non-profit was corrupt. To be honest, I feel a lot of young black people didn't vote because of the corruption in the Dem party and BLM. Deray and Shaun King are pretty despised by the young black political community.

Some people feel that BLM is in the way. Not helping the cause, actually hurting the cause. They feel there are much better ideas and leaders. I'd actually agree.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It is enlightening to see that BLM isn't universally accepted and that people are making an effort to distance themselves from them.
Last convo I saw about them they were saying there were more white people at the BLM rally than black people. Someone said the BLM leader at their college was white.

I'm personally tired of a lot of the race talk. Distracted from the main issue not to see certain cases aren't important. It also divided everybody when people just wanted justice and the truth. I feel you address racism differently than Police Corruption.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
No political movement is universally accepted.

BLM doesn't need exoneration.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I think you have to be careful not to confuse the issues, with the branding that BLM tried to attribute to those issues. BLM being corrupt doesn't discredit the issue, it just means the non-profit was corrupt. To be honest, I feel a lot of young black people didn't vote because of the corruption in the Dem party and BLM. Deray and Shaun King are pretty despised by the young black political community.

Some people feel that BLM is in the way. Not helping the cause, actually hurting the cause. They feel there are much better ideas and leaders. I'd actually agree.
All irrelevant stuff.

There has never been a civil rights movement or civil rights organization that weren't called criminals and absolutely hated by most Americans. .

MLK and Rosa Parks were characterized as being apart of a negro goon squad.

MLK was called a criminal, a communist, anti American. He was despised. People were saying he was trying to destroy America. They called for him to be locked up.

The same stuff said about BLM.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:09 AM

There is never been and never will be a correct universally approved way for black Americans to protest racism. It's always been hated the leaders are always called criminals or divisive or doing it the wrong way.

These criticisms are a repeat of a repeat of a repeat.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Okay, I will take this since I'm not sure what Facebook pages I need to post on to give a little balance. Al Sharpton is a race baiter and a huckster who has taken a very real issue, used it for his own gain, helped create an atmosphere where it is difficult to have an honest discussion about it, and therefore created a larger chasm where bridges could have been built. And yes, BLM has devolved into something that is resembling a terrorist group. Any group that's intent is destruction is not an advocate, groups that are seeking resolution and altering distrustful attitudes do not achieve it by destruction and becoming the very stereotype they are trying to prove are incorrect.

Equal is equal. If you don't people to dismiss your experiences and concerns a good start would be modeling how you want to be treated when interacting with them.
BOOM. I couldn't agree more. People take groups that have really great causes and then get extreme, thereby ruining their credibility and damaging the movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies