Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times

Advertisements

Another shooting today at an Illinois campus...it's been like one a week here!
I tell ya,this place is becoming nothing more than a battleground.
Yet another reason for me to head north!
(Shh don't tell anyone)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 04:22 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Another shooting today at an Illinois campus...it's been like one a week here!
I tell ya,this place is becoming nothing more than a battleground.
Yet another reason for me to head north!
(Shh don't tell anyone)
Yeah, its sad. I used to live right over there, its a quiet town/area. Just goes to show that it can happen anytime, anywhere. Be safe out there, kids. And dont hesitate to call the police if you see something suspicious going on. Better safe than sorry.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Is there alot of gun violence in the US, what areas mostly? Or is it just alot of media hype? Alot of Americans do say its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be i mean we have knife crime here but not on the scale as America.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Is there alot of gun violence in the US, what areas mostly? Or is it just alot of media hype? Alot of Americans do say its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be i mean we have knife crime here but not on the scale as America.
Alot of the incidents seem to be happening in the midwest,but they still happen in random places such as VA or WA.

I don't think it's alot of media hype. I mean the things happen,it's not hype. Hype would be like exaggerated terrorist alerts or something

And americans always seem to say 'it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be',it's part of the passifying of america...kind of an 'everything will be ok' type of thing(even when it's really not). They just don't want people to be alarmed,but these things are happening at an alarming rate.
I've heard many times from people in other countries,including Canada,that america has got one of the highest violence rates in the world!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM

403 posts, read 1,325,454 times
Obviously certain parts of the country have more gun violence than others. The parts of cities that have more gang crime are where most of the gun violence occurs. I live in a small mountain town in Colorado, and I feel safe up here. If I drive down into the city of Denver, I just have to be more aware of which part of the city I'm in.

Violence in teens and young people seems to have risen in this country. It seems that copycat crimes are becoming more popular than ever. I guess they feel like they'll be immortalized in the media after they commit this heinous act and that makes it worthwhile.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
Violence in teens and young people seems to have risen in this country. It seems that copycat crimes are becoming more popular than ever. I guess they feel like they'll be immortalized in the media after they commit this heinous act and that makes it worthwhile.
Oh wow what a great way to be immortalized! Whatever happened to the days of doing things to make people proud of you?
Are these beings so selfish and twisted that they do not even consider what it does to their friends and family,not to mention the friends and family of the victims?...

Old 02-14-2008, 06:06 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Five dead including the shooter and 18 wounded...This is the fifth school shooting in the US so far this year and It's only Valentines day. Don't tell me it is only media hype, or it is not as bad as it seems.....There is a major problem with the mind set of some of the youth there.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Five dead including the shooter and 18 wounded...This is the fifth school shooting in the US so far this year and It's only Valentines day. Don't tell me it is only media hype, or it is not as bad as it seems.....There is a major problem with the mind set of some of the youth there.
The fifth this year? Um, did I miss something? This is the first that I've heard of for 2008.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog905 View Post
The fifth this year? Um, did I miss something? This is the first that I've heard of for 2008.
Yea,that's why I said this was the second one in 2 weeks.
Last week some guy went off in a courtroom,it's not only the kids.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:32 PM

Sanspuer specified school shootings. I did just think of two other incidents though, which I'd rather not repeat, that happened within the last week or two. Both were small scale, so they would have only been mentioned for one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies