Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 01:10 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Does it though? I think this teacher was dead wrong for using the N word, but in the context she used it, which is what she's apparently hearing from the students, it seems to be more a case of her blowing her top and then going on a rant using their language. That's the way it comes across to me.

Wrong? Absolutely. Racist or bigot? I don't think this situation alone allows us to definitely state that she's either.
What else am I suppose to think if a teacher screams the "N" word in class at everyone? I was one of those kids who would have alot of respect for teachers. I got along better with the teachers than I did other students. If a teacher ever reacted like that in a classroom, I would be heartbroken, and angry.

I will mention this. If this had happened in my primary/secondary school years, I would have likely told my father. And then he would have taken action himself. He went to school in the inner city, and he has seen his fair share of histrionics in the classroom. He's also seen teachers spank students. He would not tolerate something like that happening in school.

I saw anger in her voice, but I felt like I was looking at her own prejudice boiling to the surface. I do not her "using their language". I just see an angry, hateful woman. Even the angriest teachers I had didn't react like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
She went off on a racist rant. Out she goes.
I see this in a practical perspective. A teacher should not go on a racist rant. Students should be respectful to their teachers. End of story.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You don't use that word on your students, period. If she's acting out of frustration, she needs to go. Plenty of teachers get frustrated and aren't stupid enough to say what she did. Stop excusing her behavior or the thought behind it.
Teachers are not suppose to be using swear words in the classroom, period. Teachers aren't suppose to let other students using swear words in class, much less racial slurs. You could tell there was so much horrible about this situation. From the bottom to the top. If students are frequently using swear words in class with little consequence, something is wrong with the administration. If the students don't have enough respect for the teachers to keep the potty mouth to a minimum, then something tells me the students weren't raised right. If the teacher cannot keep his/her potty mouth to a minimum, that teacher obviously cant control himself/herself or the class.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:26 PM

1,194 posts, read 726,264 times
Quote:
If the teacher cannot keep his/her potty mouth to a minimum, that teacher obviously cant control himself/herself or the class.
Really...Try telling that to a Marine drill sergeant that using a potty mouth he won't be able to control his unit.

Do You Think A Science Teacher Should Have Been Fired For Supposedly A Racist Rant?-marinedi.jpg

Old 11-19-2016, 01:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default Driven crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I think the teacher was being brutally honest and trying to help these students out. Unfortunatley we live in the liberal utopia PC world. Sadly because of it im sure a lot of these students will end up in gangs and end up ruining their lives.
Isn't liberalism just marvelous!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/baltimore...203208389.html
I saw this video a few days ago. Being African-American and having worked with the demographic she had in her classroom, this woman was pushed to the point of a nervous breakdown. I wasn't offended that she made those remarks to them although I don't condone it.

This poor woman was pushed, and pushed, and pushed. Speaking nice and cordial to them only made her weak and despicable in their eyes. You see only when she lost it on them, said the N-word, and mentioned their future fate of being shot did they really change their demeanor: it was then that their atmosphere of an outdoor carnival in the classroom stopped. It's sad that it took that to get their attention that this was serious.

There is always an element among students in these classroom whose reason for coming to school is not to learn as many make themselves unteachable by their behavior. They come to class with the intention of cutting up, being disruptive, the class clown, making the authority in the classroom and administration look foolish. They infect the other students many of whom have parent(s) who have no idea they're acting that way in class.

The disruptive students, there is always more than one, usually boys but occasional a girl is the team leader have parent(s) who act up also and enables and defends bad behavior. If the student is called out for their behavior by anyone in authority, be it teacher or administrator, he/she goes home and tells his mama/grandma/aunt that he was unfairly picked on by the teacher because the teacher doesn't like him/her, is mad at him/her, hates the gender of the student, or is racist.

The parent(s), without at all taking in consideration that there are two sides to every story takes her child's word at face value and storms up to the school cussing and threatening to kick a@@. The parent doesn't come to PTA or sets up meetings with the teacher during any other time of the year to see how their child is doing in school. They only go to the school to fight whomever their child "alleges" maligned them. This is what public school teachers face daily. The children curse like sailors and many have no respect for adults or authority. In fact, they publicly challenged authority to look good or look like the victim in front of an audience (their friends).

Some low-income neighborhood public schools fair better than others but they all face something similar because of how the children are raised at home. Bad parenting relflects in the children.

I've also worked with middle class White schools administrators and students, they too deal with some serious issues but different in manifestation and not nearly as many severe issues as inner city public schools do.

I do not condone what she said but I also do not harshly condemn her either because I know that her meltdown was a long time in coming as she had been pushed over the edge by the behaviors in class.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:07 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default Self hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
The thing is....I dont see any other race referring to one another with derogatory and degrading slurs.

I understand that the "N" word has transformed into "hood slang" for "my friend, that guy, etc". It has been so diluted from its origin that it truly doesnt even mean what it once meant unless it comes from the mouth of someone like David Duke.
No you sure don't because no other race is filled with so much self-hatred, self-sabotaging, and self-loathing people.

It may be a partly slang vernacular for my friend, my boy, this dude, etc. but it has NOT lost its' negative, derogatory meaning either and used by these very same people as an insult, too as in n-words alway effing things up, n-word can't do nothing right, n-word not used to nothin', this n-word stole my fill in the blank, this stupid n-word, etc.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What else am I suppose to think if a teacher screams the "N" word in class at everyone? I was one of those kids who would have alot of respect for teachers. I got along better with the teachers than I did other students. If a teacher ever reacted like that in a classroom, I would be heartbroken, and angry.

I will mention this. If this had happened in my primary/secondary school years, I would have likely told my father. And then he would have taken action himself. He went to school in the inner city, and he has seen his fair share of histrionics in the classroom. He's also seen teachers spank students. He would not tolerate something like that happening in school.

I saw anger in her voice, but I felt like I was looking at her own prejudice boiling to the surface. I do not her "using their language". I just see an angry, hateful woman. Even the angriest teachers I had didn't react like that.

Wrong for saying it, there's no doubt about it. But I'm looking at the context in which she used it and I almost think that if a male coach said the same thing to a group of players, it might have come across like he was frustrated because some of them were making stupid choices, and simply copying their vernacular. Still wrong to use the word with consequences attached, but it doesn't automatically make him a bigot.

In some schools, teachers of both races are being pushed and pushed and disrespected to the point where I don't know how any of them put up with it. I knew two young people who entered the Teach For America program to help them with their student loans and both quit after the first year. (it's a two year program)

Old 11-19-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Really...Try telling that to a Marine drill sergeant that using a potty mouth he won't be able to control his unit.

Attachment 177552
Comparing being in a military environment with adults vs being in a middle school classroom is very disingenuous.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:18 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
just because the kids pushed her or whatever doesn't excuse the using racist language. Unless she was reading a monologue from a play or something, there is no context to excuse this. People keep trying to push the line backwards as to what's racist or not. She's yelling "******" at a bunch of black kids who are laughing at her. People really trying to talk about context. LOL. Every single time yall try to make the black people wrong. Or "both sides".

Old 11-19-2016, 05:34 PM

1,194 posts, read 726,264 times
Quote:
Comparing being in a military environment with adults vs being in a middle school classroom is very disingenuous.

Maybe public schools should start trying out military-style discipline! Obviously soft discipline hasn't worked and maybe thats why Johnny can't read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies