Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:30 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
If you call the kids names, you are wrong. And yes your scenario is racist...why you dreamed that in your head to counteract this woman is strange, btw.
Obviously you didn't read the rest of my posts in this thread, so please refer to those before you try to jump down my throat...my post was obviously rhetorical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 11:35 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
The teacher was wrong for this. No excuses. I will mention this. Nasty behavior in school is nothing new. Violence in school towards students, and towards teachers was going on in the 1950s.

Violence in the School System | Youth Culture 1946-1960

Old 11-21-2016, 11:39 AM

451 posts, read 236,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
In what reality does one have to be to think this is in any way appropriate for a teacher to shout at a student in middle school???

I am far from PC by any means, but berating a student with racial epithets is never going to change the world for the better no matter how loud you scream. Being a teacher, you would think she would know this.

She's not the solution, she's part of the problem. Good riddance.

Ok. But for many of those kids....her prediction will come true. Like it or not. The concrete jungle and its inhabitants were there long before that teacher and will be there long after her. I think she will be better off and I am sure she thought the same thing .... Good Riddance.
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Think A Science Teacher Should Have Been Fired For Supposedly A Racist Rant?-chi-em-1223-mourn-02-20141220.jpg  

Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
She is indeed part of the problem. Anyone of any race who resorts to calling students racial slurs shouldn't be teaching at all.

The question is this. What is the solution to the problem?
We had a teacher in high school who did not tolerate foolishness in his classroom. On his first day in class, he would state the rules we were expected to conform to. The fist kid to break them spent the semester sitting at their desk in the hallway. This teacher never raised his voice, never called anyone names and never lost control of his temper. He had a reputation as a strict disciplinarian and students tended to complete his classes with higher than average marks. Because he was so strict, he would give us a "break" mid-class to talk to our friends, use the washroom or otherwise relax for 10 minutes. After the break, he would assume control of the classroom again.

I think his approach would prove to be far more effective than that taken by the woman in the video even in the inner-city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
Ok. But for many of those kids....her prediction will come true. Like it or not. The concrete jungle and its inhabitants were there long before that teacher and will be there long after her. I think she will be better off and I am sure she thought the same thing .... Good Riddance.
It likely will come true for many of the students in her class. However, hurling racial epithets at her students will do absolutely nothing to prevent it, and will likely have the opposite effect from what she intended.

Last edited by Annuvin; 11-21-2016 at 11:50 AM..

Old 11-21-2016, 11:46 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Truth is, some of those kids don't respect anyone, no matter how much power someone has. And how do we know those kids don't get spanked at home?

Something else. Since race is a part of this incident, there is something you should think about. Black children are subjected to more corporal punishment(i.e., the belt) than children of any other race. Black males are more likely to get spankings than anyone else.
Study Reveals Who Gets Spanked

Black male children are the most likely to get spankings. Yet, it is Black males leading the nation in violent crime. Black males make up the largest segment of the prison population. Black men die at a higher rate than anyone else, murder being one of the major reasons.

There isn't a 'yet', but an 'and' because studies show that spanking can effect a child's IQ or ability to learn, makes them more aggressive, and likely to engage in domestic abuse as an adult. One study even shows spanking can lead to further physical abuse beyond spanking.

And before people weigh in that they spanked their kids or they were spanked, there are exceptions to everything and there's no need to justify what you or your parents did.

It's 2016 - nobody should be spanking their children with all the information that's available to us. I raised two kids, and most of those years I did it alone, they were never spanked, and they're respectful, successful adults. Don't get me wrong - they got into trouble, but I punished them in other ways.

So Green_Mariner, there's a reason they're being spanked and they lead the nation in violent crime. In many black households, using a switch is still not out of the ordinary. That only teaches a child that it's okay to treat others that way.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:49 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Ignore the racial slurs and the behavior is still unacceptable...

My father was a disciplinarian with a belt. Kept me in line.

Sucks to be teacher these days.
These days the parents are just as bad if not worse than the children.

A lot of the time not even the mom is around a lot of the time.

They'd be lucky to have a stable grandparent or aunt.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There isn't a 'yet', but an 'and' because studies show that spanking can effect a child's IQ or ability to learn, makes them more aggressive, and likely to engage in domestic abuse as an adult. One study even shows spanking can lead to further physical abuse beyond spanking.

And before people weigh in that they spanked their kids or they were spanked, there are exceptions to everything and there's no need to justify what you or your parents did.

It's 2016 - nobody should be spanking their children with all the information that's available to us. I raised two kids, and most of those years I did it alone, they were never spanked, and they're respectful, successful adults. Don't get me wrong - they got into trouble, but I punished them in other ways.

So Green_Mariner, there's a reason they're being spanked and they lead the nation in violent crime. In many black households, using a switch is still not out of the ordinary. That only teaches a child that it's okay to treat others that way.
I use "yet" because there are those who believe a spanking would be the thing to keep those kids in line. My response was that based on the statistics, spanking isn't really working. If it did, there would be no crime among Black Americans.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:54 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Someone obviously prayed for me, because I was headed down that path for sure.
lol

Old 11-21-2016, 12:47 PM

For those trying to excuse this teacher's actions, why?

Old 11-21-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
We had a teacher in high school who did not tolerate foolishness in his classroom. On his first day in class, he would state the rules we were expected to conform to. The fist kid to break them spent the semester sitting at their desk in the hallway. This teacher never raised his voice, never called anyone names and never lost control of his temper. He had a reputation as a strict disciplinarian and students tended to complete his classes with higher than average marks. Because he was so strict, he would give us a "break" mid-class to talk to our friends, use the washroom or otherwise relax for 10 minutes. After the break, he would assume control of the classroom again.

I think his approach would prove to be far more effective than that taken by the woman in the video even in the inner-city.
If that teacher you know can do that, but that woman can't control her class, then there is something wrong with that teacher. Being strict is good for students. Swearing and uttering racial slurs isn't. The teacher who did this was breaking rules as well. No swearing or use of racial slurs. It's written down.

Quote:
It likely will come true for many of the students in her class. However, hurling racial epithets at her students will do absolutely nothing to prevent it, and will likely have the opposite effect from what she intended.
Doing what that teacher did wouldn't have stopped those kids. And a better question is this. Why aren't parents being held accountable? If those kids were so bad, where did they get it from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies