Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 01:11 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
This entire thread is full of people who can't stand to be honest, even to themselves.

Let us be clear here, there is a double-standard when it comes to blacks and whites. You know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it.

For instance, there is a common idea among blacks, going back to the days of Martin Luther King Jr, that declares that black people can't be racist, because racism is "prejudice plus power".

As someone else had mentioned in an earlier post, had the teacher been black, the vast-majority of the people simply wouldn't care. And honestly, a large portion of the population would have praised the lady for speaking the truth, and trying to save her students from ignorance.

As much as people want to put words in this teacher's mouth, and spin this to some ridiculous level. The teacher was entirely well-meaning.

The incident started because there was a student who was being loud, interrupting the class, making it impossible to teach, and then refused to stop, and refused to leave the class.

The teacher became more frustrated as the other students came to the unruly child's defense. The teacher was trying to explain to them the importance of education, and why the student who was interrupting the class, needed to leave, so that she could continue to teach, and give her students the skills and opportunities to do something good with their lives.

The students didn't care, they don't want an education, they basically just want to sit in class and do nothing, or hang out with their friends. They're only there because they have to be there.

Which is when the teacher came out and said(and I'm paraphrasing)... That they were (being) idiots who were squandering their chance at an education. And that, instead of getting an education, they just want to be some punk *****s, and will (likely) end up getting shot.

Yes, she used strong words, but she wanted to impress upon people, who don't care, that they should care. She wanted to get their attention and make them think.

Have you ever tried to teach a child? Children simply don't care. And if they don't care, they don't pay attention, they don't retain anything, they do the bare minimum.

The great difficulty in teaching anyone, is getting them to want to learn.
You'd be right if schools were there to educate.

But they are nothing more than State conpulsory indoctrination centers that follow a corporate hierarchical system of governance.

Let's say this was a place of actual learning.

The teacher, students, parents, and admin would all sit down and examine what happened. Why it happened. Where do we go from here. Full-on dialogue.

So I see your point but will just go with my answer from before that it was unprofessional and she should be dismissed. It's not like it's a place to learn or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 01:11 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,069 times
Quote:
This entire thread is full of people who can't stand to be honest, even to themselves.

1. Let us be clear here, there is a double-standard when it comes to blacks and whites. You know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it.

2. For instance, there is a common idea among blacks, going back to the days of Martin Luther King Jr, that declares that black people can't be racist, because racism is "prejudice plus power".

3. As someone else had mentioned in an earlier post, had the teacher been black, the vast-majority of the people simply wouldn't care. And honestly, a large portion of the population would have praised the lady for speaking the truth, and trying to save her students from ignorance.

4. As much as people want to put words in this teacher's mouth, and spin this to some ridiculous level. The teacher was entirely well-meaning.

5. The incident started because there was a student who was being loud, interrupting the class, making it impossible to teach, and then refused to stop, and refused to leave the class.

The teacher became more frustrated as the other students came to the unruly child's defense. The teacher was trying to explain to them the importance of education, and why the student who was interrupting the class, needed to leave, so that she could continue to teach, and give her students the skills and opportunities to do something good with their lives.

The students didn't care, they don't want an education, they basically just want to sit in class and do nothing, or hang out with their friends. They're only there because they have to be there.

6. Which is when the teacher came out and said(and I'm paraphrasing)... That they were (being) idiots who were squandering their chance at an education. And that, instead of getting an education, they just want to be some punk *****s, and will (likely) end up getting shot.

7. Yes, she used strong words, but she wanted to impress upon people, who don't care, that they should care. She wanted to get their attention and make them think.

8. Have you ever tried to teach a child? Children simply don't care. And if they don't care, they don't pay attention, they don't retain anything, they do the bare minimum.

1. Agreed; however, the double standard works to our advantage and against us in various instances.
2. Fair enough.
3. Not necessarily. She could've been called a coon or Uncle Tom, but I digress.
4. Sure, she was well-meaning.
5. Yeah, the kids probably didn't wanna be there and are a bunch of jackasses.
6. Nothing was wrong with that until the N word.
7. Oh she got their attention, alright.
8. Then maybe she should get another job if she can't control her outbursts. But it's out of her hands now, since she was terminated.

I deal with frustrating stuff at my job all day. If I had an outburst and just went off on my supervisors, I would get terminated. Doesn't matter if I had a good reason to be angry or not. Self-control is essential in this day and age, especially since our country has become hyper PC during these times. She should've known better, and there's no way to justify it. Hence, her current employment status. She learned the hard way. If the rest of the teachers are smart, they'll take notes.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:13 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
I think this teacher, while wrong in losing her cool, will come out ok and get a better job and put this behind her.

She will also probably have the last laugh as many of her former students will either wind up in prison or dead.
I find it appalling that you would consider this possible outcome a reason for anyone to have a laugh.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:15 PM

1,431 posts, read 912,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
The thing is....I dont see any other race referring to one another with derogatory and degrading slurs.

I understand that the "N" word has transformed into "hood slang" for "my friend, that guy, etc". It has been so diluted from its origin that it truly doesnt even mean what it once meant unless it comes from the mouth of someone like David Duke.
That word has become the equivalent of "dude" for black folks. Therefore, it's not a derogatory and degrading slur...as long as blacks use it among ourselves. And I've seen other minorities use racial slurs toward each other in a humorous light. I don't know what to tell you, sir.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Let us be clear here, there is a double-standard when it comes to blacks and whites. You know it, I know it, and everyone else knows it.

For instance, there is a common idea among blacks, going back to the days of Martin Luther King Jr, that declares that black people can't be racist, because racism is "prejudice plus power".

As someone else had mentioned in an earlier post, had the teacher been black, the vast-majority of the people simply wouldn't care. And honestly, a large portion of the population would have praised the lady for speaking the truth, and trying to save her students from ignorance.

As much as people want to put words in this teacher's mouth, and spin this to some ridiculous level. The teacher was entirely well-meaning.

The incident started because there was a student who was being loud, interrupting the class, making it impossible to teach, and then refused to stop, and refused to leave the class.

Which is when the teacher came out and said(and I'm paraphrasing)... That they were (being) idiots who were squandering their chance at an education. And that, instead of getting an education, they just want to be some punk *****s, and will (likely) end up getting shot.

Yes, she used strong words, but she wanted to impress upon people, who don't care, that they should care. She wanted to get their attention and make them think.

Have you ever tried to teach a child? Children simply don't care. And if they don't care, they don't pay attention, they don't retain anything, they do the bare minimum.

This post is wrong on so many levels.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
The thing is....I dont see any other race referring to one another with derogatory and degrading slurs.

I understand that the "N" word has transformed into "hood slang" for "my friend, that guy, etc". It has been so diluted from its origin that it truly doesnt even mean what it once meant unless it comes from the mouth of someone like David Duke.
It happens. I know white people who refer to themselves and their friends as "rednecks," and do it with pride, gay people who playfully call each other "q's" or "f's," and women who refer to their friends as "my b's." In all cases, they have reclaimed a word originally used to wound.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:47 PM

451 posts, read 235,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I find it appalling that you would consider this possible outcome a reason for anyone to have a laugh.

Oh....I disagree.... because if any of her former students wind up dead or in prison there is a 99.9% chance it would be well deserved. Most have no chance of becoming productive members of society.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:50 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
all that money spent on a college degree to teach and she'll never get another teaching job again. Kids do need discipline and tough love and hopefully that's something the coddling safe space types will realize some day. Research the mammalian brain, human psychology, and you'll see the way to train a person is akin to the way you train a dog.. stimulus response and repetition. It's not wrong to give a person "discomfort" it's how the animal organism learns and adapts. You can't always get what you want.

However, her outburst was a bit out of line and is not the proper way to discipline children.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:50 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Oh....I disagree.... because if any of her former students wind up dead or in prison there is a 99.9% chance it would be well deserved. Most have no chance of becoming productive members of society.
The fact that you find this funny tells me

1) You would like to see that bigoted woman teaching again(and perhaps you have some bigoted views).
2) Lack of empathy on your part.
3) You want to see those kids dead or in prison.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
And you find this situation a cause for joy because...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies