Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 05:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,203,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know, I have had no trouble understanding what Melania said when she has spoken. Seems her detractors (guilty of whatever they can drum up by association) will find anything she does worthy of criticism.

But as far as dismissing someone for speaking English with a heavy accent, apparently that's ok, or better yet not speaking English at all for millions of immigrants ( or even their American born children) who come to our country, and expect us to conform to their culture and serve them in THEIR native language.
I don't care about her accent. I'd dare anyone to go to another country and not have an American accent when attempting a foreign language.

I don't care about her past. Her body, her choice.

I don't care why she married Trump. Again, her choice.

I do care about the absolute hypocrisy of conservatives who praise Melania Trump and compare her to Jackie O FFS. That, is pure and utter BS, and shows a profound lack of self awareness on the part of conservatives everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 05:11 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,597,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't care about her accent. I'd dare anyone to go to another country and not have an American accent when attempting a foreign language.

I don't care about her past. Her body, her choice.

I don't care why she married Trump. Again, her choice.

I do care about the absolute hypocrisy of conservatives who praise Melania Trump and compare her to Jackie O FFS. That, is pure and utter BS, and shows a profound lack of self awareness on the part of conservatives everywhere.
Exactly!

Old 11-20-2016, 06:05 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,768,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Thank God Michelle's fashion designer is taking a hike!

We now have a new, fresh, classy first lady who deserves better! Like I've always said:
"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
new? fresh? classy? Melania???

Calipoppy was right.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,972,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Not a double standard at all.

A few designers in that link in the OP have stated that they did not send samples to Melania or Ivanka. They actually have the choice not to send them "FREE" clothing samples if they did not believe in Trump's values.

This is very different from having Melania and Ivanka walk into a Michael Kors store and the salesperson refuse to sell either of them a fancy party dress. If you have a store, you cannot say that "I won't sell you my dress because you are black, white, gay, or I hate your husband." What you can do is refuse to send free dress samples and actively pitch your wares to someone you feel suppresses your values. Same with the wedding cakes for gays--you can't open a shop and then refuse business to someone and not others. But, yeah, as a wedding cake baker, you don't have to ply gays with coupons or free cake, or show up at a gay wedding convention to hawk your business to them. That's what these designers do. They send free samples to the FLOTUS as well as celebrities so that their designs and clothes get noticed.

It's really not the same at all.
It is the same. The designer called for all designers to boycott her. A baker wouldn't have been allowed to call for a boycott of gay weddings.

Do you really believe that if asked she would design her a dress giving her best effort?

Old 11-20-2016, 06:38 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,956,264 times
You missed the point. You have to read the messages, and the message I was responding to. This whole thread is about the FLOTUS. But I agree, why bash any FLOTUS.

Whatever Melania is or isn't remains to be seen. She is now married with a child. The political shake up with Trump's election does not just end with him--it involves the person who will be first lady too. Nobody really knows her, so we will see what she does.

I've never found it necessary to take on the challenge of insulting first ladies whether I agreed with them or not. It has to be very difficult trying to raise a family under intense scrutiny, so all first ladies have my respect.

I find it amazing though that the people who are bashing Melanie Trump regarding her "class" in this thread likely supported the women who decided to make a statement by running around cities in vagina suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Why would hate be directed to Michelle Obama? This is about a designer making a "statement." FLOTUS should not have been brought into the discussion.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 AM

21,402 posts, read 10,477,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
As the title says. The fashion designer who has been dressing Michelle Obama has offered a preemptive strike, and said she will not dress Melania. Which is fine I guess, since she wasn't asked.

Designers Refuse to Dress Melania, Ivanka Trump: Sources

1. Would love to see the new FLOTUS give hungry, up and coming American designers a chance to shine while she wore their clothing

2. If you are a bakery owner and refuse to make a wedding cake for a gay couple you're a hater. If you're a designer and refuse to offer your designs to the FLOTUS you're taking a stand against hate. No double standard there, eh?
Good point.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How hard is it to dress Michelle?

Put a crossbow on her and you're done.
Why go in the gutter? Neither Michelle or Melania deserve that.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Why can't we leave Melania alone? She didn't do anything wrong (or political in nature) beyond being married to Donald. I wish America would keep candidates families out of discussion.
Same here.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree. But please give equal defense to all first ladies. Just reading some of these comments about our current first lady makes me think there's some really sick people out there. I honestly cannot believe the cruelty.
I agree. People have been horrible to Michelle for 8 years, just because she's Barack Obama's wife. She didn't deserve it, but now Melania will be treated horribly for 4-8 years, and she doesn't deserve it either. The Internet has ruined politics.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:02 AM

251 posts, read 168,168 times
Melania is a top fashion model.
Michelle Obama is Far from it.

Melania lives in Trump tower, She has her own Fashion Designer lol

Why would she want that Rank Amateur ?

When she already has the Best .

He announced he wouldn't be her designer

Because He knows he has ZERO chance of getting the job.

Makes no sense , just nonsense.

Last edited by Vondutch; 11-20-2016 at 07:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies