Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 07:16 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Why repealing Obamacare is going to be a long, chaotic mess.

The GOP has spent 6 years screeching at the top of its lungs that Obamacare needs to be repealed and replaced. The problem is, they never had much of a plan for the replace. So now it is something that they absolutely must do because they said so many times that they would do it -- but it's not going to be an easy thing to do.

The problem is that this is not food stamps or medicaid -- people who voted Republican and people who voted Trump are benefiting from Obamacare. If the GOP strips them of their benefits summarily, they will be pissed. Some insurers have struggled to make money under Obamacare, but other insurance companies have thrived under the law and are making record profits.

Obamacare is a mess -- there are too many regulations for employers and it always risked a death spiral of too many sick people signing up and too many insurers dropping out and too many people simply electing to pay a penalty. But the law also had benefits for many people, and they won't realize those benefits until they are ripped away.

The GOP would probably love to repeal the law on day 1 and delay the effect for a year or two while they dream up the replacement. But that would also be a mess because then insurers would drop out pre-emptively and leave a gap before the replacement.

It's going to be a mess and one I am glad I can sit on the sidelines and watch since I voted for Clinton (and I have employer coverage anyway so it doesn't affect me.)
Paul Ryan has a substitute plan, if I remember correctly.

I've said this countless times, to relatives, friends, and in online forums. I was an avid supporter of the HCA, so followed its passing and progression fairly closely. I then watched, and unfortunately experienced, the installation of the final provisions in 2014, since I purchased an individual policy.

It took five years to implement the act fully because of its reach into so many areas of the business and government sectors, and its complications and complexity. I knew it could not just be repealed in one stroke without causing significant hardship to the public, including deaths, as well as significant problems to businesses, who made business plans based on Obamacare provisions, changed accounting procedures, and even made hiring decisions based on it.

So I knew all this blustering talk of repealing Obamacare was just talk. I thought they might eventually repeal it, but that at best it would be done in stages.

But they'll do something. Who knows what remains to be seen. I think Paul Ryan will try to privatize Social Security and Medicare (partially) by blaming those programs' alleged issues on Obamacare.

Now Trump is making sounds that parts of it may need to remain. I've always said the pre-existing condition part of Obamacare could have been passed alone and didn't need an entire reform act. So I think they'll keep that in some way (in fact, keeping that is part of Paul Ryan's plan).

One after another, the stones that Trump stacked to get votes are falling. Climate change, Obamacare, Mexico wall, deporting 11 million illegals, bringing lots and lots of jobs and jobs so many jobs that we'll yell stop with all the jobs, not being elitist....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 08:13 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Paul Ryan has a substitute plan, if I remember correctly.
LOL. Sort of....if you mean a completely unworkable bit of nonsense just full of buzzwords.

Trump has a more specific one. But its also full of wishful thinking at this point.

So far nothing I have seen leads me to be hopeful that these people have the slightest clue.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:02 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,038,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Perhaps do it in pieces and see how things go. Start with the parts of the law most disliked, like the employer mandate and the penalty for not buying insurance. Then look at things like subsidies, medicaid expansion, the exchanges, same premiums despite gender, staying on parents insurance until 26.

Pre-existing conditions will continue to be covered. He did campaign on this after all and repealing that part of Obamacare without a replacement plan that includes it will not be good for him.
The ACA is like a three-legged stool, the three legs being mandates, subsidies and that insurers must cover preexisting conditions. You need all three legs in order for the stool to stand. As soon as you take away the mandate the whole thing falls apart.

Trump's claim that we could keep the parts that are popular and get rid of the rest was just another one of his many, many lies.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:51 AM

1,804 posts, read 2,362,021 times
Republicans weren't really interested in repeal, they just didn't want President Obama taking any credit for attempting to do something about health care and accomplishing anything. Now that the Republicans have control of the Senate, they are in a position to repeal Obamacare. Why not? Maybe the Republicans are afraid that the voters will show their displeasure.

They were fine with the number of people insurance dropping every year under Bush and policies with annual, life time limits and once if you used your insurance, they unloaded you.. they were fine with 300% increases under Bush, for insurance so bad, it could not be sold in any other developed country.

And repubs intentionally tried to bankrupt Medicare, overpaying insurance and drug companies. Without Obamacare Medicare went broke by 2016. Obamacare expanded Medicare benefits, closed their drug doughnut hole saving the avg senior 1200/yr and has so far extended the trust fund life 13 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies