Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 01:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
When you tell someone that "who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir", what do you think they're saying?

Seriously, that you'll pass laws that aren't environmentally friendly thus destroying our Earth. That you won't protect minorities from legislation that will impede on their civil rights which will put them in harms way, i.e. which will lead to more hate crimes and discrimination.

I mean it was basically saying in liberal newspeak that Pence and Co. will destroy the country and the planet.
So you weren't actually quoting what was said as you claimed to do? You were making up what you thought was said instead of what was really said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 01:02 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well one thing has never changed and that is that I have always been a populist. I thought the left was going there with their talks of class and such but dropped all that for racial scapegoating telling minorities white people or white men were the source of their problems. They use identity politics to shame their opponents.

Plus, never in my life did I think that the GOP would be the populist, anti-globalization party. I find it laughable that the left was so supportive of a center right Democrat who is pro-globalization, and pro-Wall ST.

The Democrats had a populist candidate in Bernie but used dirty tricks to unseat him in favor of a corrupt, pro establishment politician. And then they turned around and called all of Middle America a bunch of morons for even considering Trump. The media gave the green light to just be openly and brazenly rude and crass toward middle America and conservatives.

I knew right then and there that Democrats were not for the people at all. They're just elitist snobs.
True, I've always been a populist too. I've always thought both parties were elitist snobs without our best interests at heart, but at least the Republican rules allowed the people to decide instead of superdelegates. The establishments of both parties are still just two sides of the same coin. Throw a little nugget to the base (pro life, gay marriage), but once in office do nothing. Hillary said it, you have to have a public position and a private one.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:03 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I always find that when people say that I find it a bit disingenuous. They never go on to explain how they evolved from believing in a woman's rights to choose, civil rights for people of color and gays or how they reconcile supporting a party that is always on the side of the rich and the corporations.
Trump flipped the script because for years socially conservative but populist or nationalist economic people have been searching for a home. There are tons of conservative Democrats who've been dying to switch but felt they couldn't because the Republicans were pro-free trade, pro-corporate, globalization.

Now it's the Democrats who are staunchly pro-Wall st. Pro globalization through the Clintonian branch. All of Silicon Valley and Wall St are solidly blue.

Trump scooped all of the left out up.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:06 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default Mike Pence booed and jeered while seeing play in NY

Disrespectful Liberal losers, the democrats will neve recover from their spanking.

Last edited by Roaddog; 11-19-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-19-2016, 01:06 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The bolded is nowhere in the actual speech.

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you so much for joining us tonight. You know, we had a guest in the audience this evening. And Vice president-elect Pence, I see you're walking out but I hope you will hear us just a few more moments. There's nothing to boo here ladies and gentlemen. There's nothing to boo here, we're all here sharing a story of love.

We have a message for you, sir. We hope that you will hear us out. And I encourage everybody to pull out your phones and tweet and post because this message needs to be spread far and wide, okay?

Vice president-elect Pence we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us here at Hamilton: An American Musical — we really do. We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.

Again, we truly thank you for sharing this show. This wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men [and] women of different colors, creeds, and orientations.

Care to try again?
Thank you for posting the actual speech. It was very respectful to the Vice President-Elect. I certainly hope we never get to a place in this country where ordinary citizens are not allowed to voice their concerns to their elected officials. Which was the whole point to begin with.

Trump better learn to grow a thicker skin. Resistance to his policies hasn't even begun yet. He's in for a whole lot more in the coming months and years, and he's already whining about it and acting like a--hmm, let me think...what are those words the right keeps throwing out in post after post after post? Oh, yeah, like a delicate little snowflake.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
You do realize the average new yorker can't even afford to go to broadway right and have actually been pushed out of their homes due to gentry midwesterners, but yes we know you guys have it so hard that's why you voted for Trump..
I DIDN'T vote for Hillary because when she was a Senator for NY, where I live upstate, she promised 200,000 jobs. What did we get "bubkis." She only became a Senator in NY as a stepping stone. I was in the military for 20+ years and if I screwed up ONE Classified document I would have been put in jail, what did the big H get...NOTHING! Hillary cried they were broke when they left the WH, Really? That Clinton Foundation is sure sucking off all her wealthy friends who pay for her vacations and expensive lifestyle.

Families all across the country are losing their homes and their children are unable to afford to go to college or pay for student loans, or afford the high deductible of Obamacare. But Hillary and her band of Merry Do gooders give free college, welfare, health care and benefits to the illegals who enter this country. The legal immigrants stood in line and went through the process.

Why did I vote for Trump? Because I hate Hillary and her lies!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:09 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
True, I've always been a populist too. I've always thought both parties were elitist snobs without our best interests at heart, but at least the Republican rules allowed the people to decide instead of superdelegates. The establishments of both parties are still just two sides of the same coin. Throw a little nugget to the base (pro life, gay marriage), but once in office do nothing. Hillary said it, you have to have a public position and a private one.
Exactly, what sickofnyc doesn't get and what the left will never get is that many people are pro-life, many people are religious, and have probably held their nose for years voting Democrat because of the Republicans overly zealous defense of everything and anything a corporation does as legitimate.

Trump and Co destroyed that because while remaining conservative they are also populist and nationalist economically.

This is a signal that could spell the resurgence of a new GOP and cost the Democrats dearly. What the left doesn't get is that most people decide on politics largely on ECONOMIC issues.

The Dems had the high ground because for a while they focused on CLASS but ruined it when they focused solely on IDENTITY POLITICS so they can ram in their pro-corporate shill Hillary.

Politics is NOT about identity, it's the economy stupid. And Trump stole it from the Dems. Brilliant!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:10 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I always find that when people say that I find it a bit disingenuous. They never go on to explain how they evolved from believing in a woman's rights to choose, civil rights for people of color and gays or how they reconcile supporting a party that is always on the side of the rich and the corporations.
Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but both parties are on the side of the rich and the corporations. This year at least someone came along saying he would do something to secure our border and fight for better trade deals. Is he going to do it? I hope so, but we will see. I think if there is one person willing to fight, Trump is better than others. He has executive experience, he knows how to negotiate, and he is only beholden to his legacy and ego. Corporate donors favored his opponent, who said to them in private that she tells voters one thing and does another. Or did you forget about her public and private positions?

Old 11-19-2016, 01:10 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Huh? Do you know what Hamilton is about? This wasn't a performance of Cats or Phantom of the Opera.
That would be a fine comparison were it not for the fact that the actors in Hamilton sing and prance across the stage. Something I'm fairly certain Alexander Hamilton did not do.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:11 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
As a post-truth Trump supporting fascist, you have zero credibility at this point. This was a defense of our American liberties, not an "attack" - and a perfect example of how freedom of speech WILL be exercised in this country while we still can. If the fascist Right thought the people of this country were going to go quietly under the thumb, they are hugely mistaken.
No one expected you to go quietly but go you will. Enough people are tired of your selective definitions surrounding freedom and democracy. The day of redefining them to your liberal ideology excluding the original meaning to promote propaganda is over. The like spoiled children won't alter the reality coming your way as you learn what it means to obey the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies