Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2016, 12:52 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
He could have responded, but his secret service was already taking him out of the theater. He actually stopped and listened which is a good thing, but he was already in the lobby. I am sure they would have allowed him to speak if he had wanted to.
It was likely impractical at that point for him to speak for security reasons as the crowd was probably chomping at the bit to get out and the secret service goal was to get him out ahead of that crowd. The fact is the cast did not want to have a conversation as they later said; if they did they would have made it easy for that to happen. They had plenty of advance notice he was coming. They wanted to put him on the spot and lecture him.

Is this really the type of society that Americans want?

I live in a small city. Our elected city and county officials are almost always out and about in town. Its also very rare for people to be rude enough to engage them in policy discussions when its clear they are just out on their personal time.

I personally do not want to have to listen to political rants from businesses or other customers everytime I go somewhere to socialize, do business or be entertained. Horrible precedent to support.

There are plenty of places for political free speech whether they be rants, lectures, or actual conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 12:57 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Paper or plastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Getting really tired of entertainers abusing the camera to broadcast thier political views. Their job is to sing, dance, act, or play sports for their audience, not to preach to them. Sure theres a first amendment obviously, but when you're on the clock for your employer you can't just spout whatever you want or cause a scene. Its divisive to your customers and casts the whole company in a negative light.

I understood that the star of the show wrote the book, composed the music & wrote the songs. As he works (plays the lead) in the play as well, isn't he in effect self-employed? It was his stand-in who actually spoke after curtain call (after the play). So, if the stand-in was articulating a POV consonant with the writer's/librettist's/composer's POV - it's hard to say that the stand-in was defying his employer's express wishes.

The play is political in content, I believe - a celebration of an immigrant's hard work & rise in the 13 colonies & then the US. Theater often has an ideological content - & I'm fairly sure that Pence & his family & crew knew that. I assumed that that was the reason they wanted to see the show - unless it was just because it was the hot ticket on Broadway then.

However that may be, transactions in the arts aren't nearly as cut-&-dried as buying a burger & fries.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:06 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times
President elect can't even handle criticism from a Broadway show and reverts to another 3:00am tweet to respond.

Wow....

Old 11-20-2016, 01:13 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times
That's very pathetic and rude, but the play Hamilton is overrated anyways

Old 11-20-2016, 01:15 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
That's very pathetic and rude, but the play Hamilton is overrated anyways
I wouldn't know, I haven't seen it. I suspect you haven't either.

Yeah, that just wasn't cool. But hey, it's their right if that's what they wanted to do at that time. I see that cry baby Trump yet again is stamping his feet in poutrage demanding an apology. That guy is so unfit to be president it's ridiculous.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:16 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
'We are the diverse America who are alarmed': Embarrassment for VP-elect Mike Pence as Hamilton cast STOPS show to address him directly about their fears - after audience BOOED him throughout

Mike Pence has been roundly booed in New York while seeing Hamilton

Vice-president-elect was filmed being jeered inside the Broadway theater

The booing was so loud at points the performance had to be stopped

The cast also delivered a message to Pence at the conclusion of the show

Performers explained why people are scared of both Pence and Trump

‘We are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children,' the cast said

Pence has been in New York for planning talks for Trump's administration

The VP-elect was slammed for seeing the play given his anti-LGBT stances

Read more: Hamilton cast address Mike Pence after he is booed by audience | Daily Mail Online

Even if you're a liberal do you really think it is right for an entire show to be pretty much stopped to attack another person? What about other people in the audience who just wanted to see this play and not have it disrupted by politics?

Good for him.

No leader will be without criticism from those that are opposed to their philosophy.

LGBT and Same Sex Marriage threaten the stability of the institution of family.

It is the FAMILY not the GOVERNMENT, in which people are to run to for help. If there is no family, than there is volunteer charity/churches, etc to help with community assistance.

NOT the Government where there is no accountability with a long record of abuse.

So let them cry about not having equal rights.

They can cry me a river. Dont' care. Ultimately increased government dependency weakens every American.

It's not just a social issue but economic.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:17 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I wouldn't know, I haven't seen it. I suspect you haven't either.
I haven't seen it live, but I've seen recordings.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:45 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Nah, can't be done. fascist is one thing, think Mussolini's brand of ultra-nationalist, extremely right-wing regime (you can't call that politics, because the state there arrogates all political activity to itself). Left & Liberal can be put together, because the internal meanings are close &/or identical. But fascist is way way out there in the far-Right field.

The tenets set by the creator of fascism do not align with the current political right in the U.S.
The issue with "liberalism opposing fascism" is, that is a reference to classical liberalism. The current left in the U.S. often leans towards statism, which aligns very well with fascism.

The divide is more along the lines of authoritarian versus libertarian, not left and right. Leftist politics in the US are often authoritarian while the right espouses more libertarian leaning views.

As evidenced by Mussolini's statements;
Quote:
Against individualism, the Fascist conception is for the State ... Liberalism denied the State in the interests of the particular individual; Fascism reaffirms the State as the true reality of the individual.
Quote:
The keystone of the Fascist doctrine is its conception of the State, of its essence, its functions, and its aims. For Fascism the State is absolute, individuals and groups relative.
Quote:
The truth is that men are tired of liberty
Quote:
All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:53 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I have a big problem with the Hamilton actors publically disrespecting our incoming VP. I also have a problem with Rep. Joe Wilson yelling "You Lie!" at Obama during a speech. I was raised to treat people in power with respect. Our society no longer values respectful disagree and civility, two things critical to democracy.

Old 11-20-2016, 02:06 PM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Accidental v. essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The producers should issue an apology for not controlling the audience behavior and for using their actors to make a political statement in the way that they did which was both unfair and cowardly.

Do you live in a place where if you go to the local movie theater and create a ruckus they will not ask you to either pipe down or leave?
Crowd control isn't usually among the responsibilities of the producers of a show, TMK. controlling the audience the way you're calling for only happens - as far as I know - in the bad old USSR & Warsaw Pact countries, maybe Cuba, N. Korea, Iran, either absolute or on-their-way-to-being absolute dictatorships or something along those lines. I'm not sure about the economics of Broadway shows - I understood that the star wrote the play, the music, the lyrics. & I don't know that the actors made a political statement. TMK, the actors said their lines. The stand-in for the lead addressed the audience & Pence, not the entire company.

& yah, the movie theater would certainly intervene - if you could find a human in charge who would act. But no - stopping & restarting a movie is hardly the same as stopping & starting a play - which didn't happen, by the way. The stand-in's statement was @ the curtain call, after the play was over. So no - the cases aren't the same - a movie is repeatable, with exactly the same delivery & timing & pacing - it's basically a fixed artifact. A play - with actual human beings - is not precisely the same from show to show - once you have people involved in the production, there are human factors that will keep each performance from being identical, the one to the other.

That both venues have ticket booths is accidental - the real difference is in the fixity of the movie's representation, & the plasticity of the theater's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies