Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 04:16 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
The interesting thing is how liberals argue by essentially throwing a mess of arguments up on the wall and seeing which one sticks. On the one hand, they say that everyone loves gay marriage and that anyone who doesn't is a dinosaur and these beliefs will die out with the old has-beens who hold them. On the other hand, they say that what is popular or in the majority is irrelevant and that the minority who support gay marriage are in the same situation as, for example, those who opposed slavery (an attempt at linking the two morally). Also interestingly, they don't mind if anyone notices their contradictory statements, as long as someone is persuaded by either one of them.
Nobody ever said that "everyone loves gay marriage". Except you.

It isn't linking the two things at all. It is saying that merely what is most popular is not what America is about.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
First, rights are not determined by court decisions. If they were, then court decisions could remove rights. I presume you don't want that.

Secondly, I notice that nobody likes to cite the Supreme Court decision affirming slavery. If they're always right, then they're always right.

Thirdly, nothing that man has to invent, such as marriage, can be a right, by definition. It's a societal construct and therefore it is wholly under the control of society in any arbitrary way it wishes.

Nothing wrong if a person supports gay marriage. It's a problem if they create laws and push their agenda on others.
Now who is trying to link two different concepts?

Old 11-25-2016, 05:10 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Your source for that information?
Here you go. I'm surprise its not common knowledge.

Homosexuality: Infidelity is the key to a stable marriage? | Virtueonline

Same sex marriage alert: Shocking statistics on gay and lesbian infidelity

And as one of the commenters in the latter link stated homosexuals make up only 2% of the population.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Nothing is wrong with it...until you get to reproduction.
But the argument is focused on consent isn't it? So whether they can reproduce is irrelavant to the topic. It doesn't have to be brother and sister at reproduction age. They could be in their 70s or it could be 21 year old grandson marrying 80 year old grandma/grandpa.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
So now you are using the slippery slope tactic? Stop already
It's not a slippery slope argument. Do you believe homosexuals should be able to marry because they consent to it?

Old 11-25-2016, 05:21 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
What do you feel when you read the thread title?

Just 20 years ago, I could make this statement and there would hardly be a cringe among a crowd.

Today, it is seen as taboo; as if a damning slander suddenly leaped out of the dark ages. Heck, someone might close this very thread.

Why is this? How is it that a societal opinion can change so quickly, and so fiercely?

Ask Hillary.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post

And as one of the commenters in the latter link stated homosexuals make up only 2% of the population.
You said: "Besides infidelity is at an all time high in the homosexual community."

I asked where you got that.

Neither of those sources says that infidelity is at an all time high in the homosexual community, although both sources indicate infidelity is important to a stable relationship (which most of us already knew).

But okay...are you saying that infidelity should be a reason not to allow gay marriage?
And if that is what you are saying, should we also not allow someone who has been unfaithful in one marriage not remarry?

Oh, and P.S. -- not exactly neutral sources.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
But the argument is focused on consent isn't it? So whether they can reproduce is irrelavant to the topic. It doesn't have to be brother and sister at reproduction age. They could be in their 70s or it could be 21 year old grandson marrying 80 year old grandma/grandpa.
To you it's irrelevant. To me it is not.
However, if 2 people want to live in a sexless situation, who is stopping them?

Old 11-25-2016, 05:49 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,366 times
Quote:

Any survey of the gay population does not measure those in the closet. The 2 percent figure comes from the CDC survey which was conducted through face to face interviews. Other surveys conducted over the phone which are more anonymous show closer to 4 percent. On the flip side those that are closeted are not going to be entering into a same sex marriage before coming out.

Last edited by jazzy jeff; 11-25-2016 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 05:51 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
It's not a slippery slope argument. Do you believe homosexuals should be able to marry because they consent to it?
In the case of homosexuals, yes I do. But now because I said that, you are now going to say... Why not your dad? Why not a goat? Why not your pet dog? That is why I say you and the other poster are using the slippery slope tactic, because anything other than heterosexual marriage is evil to you guys/girls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies