Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 07:45 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Here you go again with your anti-immigrant rants. I am an immigrant. A legal immigrant. Of 100% European stock. Christian.

And like millions of other immigrants, I am more focused, more determined, more goal-oriented, more optimistic, more broadly-thinking, more curious, more courageous, better educated, and certainly more adaptable and more hard-working than are plenty of native-born Americans. I am DEFINITELY an asset to the US, as are most other immigrants, and, quite frankly, the US is damn lucky to have me.
I don't care where you are from. You are an immigrant and that explains a lot of your biases. You even showed your anti-Native, pro-immigrant bias. You prove my rule of thumb. No 'we' are not lucky to have you . We already have more people like you than we could ever need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 07:56 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about what happens in a LEGAL context. My question is a fair and logical one. Many conservatives often ask, "why don't Muslims in the US publicly and vocally criticize radical Islam's violence?" Well, why don't men here publicly and vocally criticize male violence, either against women or against other men?

But, perhaps you can explain away the "motives" for violence against women that you mention. Is there an acceptable motive I'm missing?
What are you on about? Plenty of people publicly and vocally condemn abusers and rapists. But religion is doctrine, and it isn't unreasonable to expect people practicing a religion peacefully to condemn the ones who slaughter thousands of innocent people a year who do it in the name of their religion.

This is apples to oranges.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,835,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't care where you are from. You are an immigrant and that explains a lot of your biases. You even showed your anti-Native, pro-immigrant bias. You prove my rule of thumb. No 'we' are not lucky to have you . We already have more people like you than we could ever need.
Anti-native bias? LOL. If I were anti-American, I wouldn't have become a US citizen. Quite the contrary.

Like it or not, most immigrants, no matter their country of origin, or the country to which they emigrate, DO possess those qualities I listed. In spades. Often more than do the native-born. It stands to reason. People with the chutzpah to (legally) move to a different country, a different culture, and often a different language, aren't exactly lazy schlepps.This rule applies just as much to my home country, Canada -- another land of immigrants.

You can throw all the insults you want, if it makes you feel any better. Says more about YOU than it does me.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Anti-native bias? LOL. If I were anti-American, I wouldn't have become a US citizen. Quite the contrary.

Like it or not, most immigrants, no matter their country of origin, or the country to which they emigrate, DO possess those qualities I listed. In spades. Often more than do the native-born. It stands to reason. People with the chutzpah to (legally) move to a different country, a different culture, and often a different language, aren't exactly lazy schlepps.This rule applies just as much to my home country, Canada -- another land of immigrants.

You can throw all the insults you want, if it makes you feel any better. Says more about YOU than it does me. rolleyes:
You came to the US for your own benefit, no one else's. You are the one being insulting. I hold the illegal apple pickers in some case in more esteem. You should drive around or walk around my city and see the garbage that's being allowed to legally immigrate.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You came to the US for your own benefit, no one else's. You are the one being insulting. I hold the illegal apple pickers in some case in more esteem. You should drive around or walk around my city and see the garbage that's being allowed to legally immigrate
Oh, I know the organization and people I work for absolutely benefit from having me around. The many people and organizations to whom I've donated thousands of volunteer work hours have appreciated my contributions, as well. I've also had 3 American-born kids. You know, future taxpayers and citizens.

You are an incredibly rude, bigoted individual. What's it like to go through life with that huge chip on your shoulder? Have at it, if it makes you happy.

You should walk around my city and meet some of the long unemployed and/or lazy, addicted, entitled native-born Americans. In an overwhelmingly red state, I might add.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 11-19-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 11-19-2016, 08:37 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Women are subjugated by Islam itself. They don't enjoy equal rights or privileges. They can't even pray alongside their husbands. They are treated as second-class citizens under the guise of "respecting and protecting". But don't take it from me - read some of the works of Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who escaped life as a subjugated Muslim woman and has written several fantastic books. She is a staunch proponent of Islamic reformation.

I've never understood how leftists so vocal about feminism can be so mute on the topic of Islam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJkFQohIKNI

A great youtube video of this amazing women.

bill

Old 11-19-2016, 08:40 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about what happens in a LEGAL context. My question is a fair and logical one. Many conservatives often ask, "why don't Muslims in the US publicly and vocally criticize radical Islam's violence?" Well, why don't men here publicly and vocally criticize male violence, either against women or against other men?

But, perhaps you can explain away the "motives" for violence against women that you mention. Is there an acceptable motive I'm missing?

Are you kidding?? I have three daughters..........All three have had some form of "violence" visited upon them by men...........I have been much more than "vocal" against that which you say "men" do not condemn???

Old 11-19-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Are you kidding?? I have three daughters..........All three have had some form of "violence" visited upon them by men...........I have been much more than "vocal" against that which you say "men" do not condemn???
Oh, calm down. Jeezus. I'm not talking about YOU.

I'm talking about condemning violence EN MASSE. Just as people often want American Muslims to condemn radical Islam's violence EN MASSE. There's power in numbers.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Oh, calm down. Jeezus. I'm not talking about YOU.

I'm talking about condemning violence EN MASSE. Just as people often want American Muslims to condemn radical Islam's violence EN MASSE. There's power in numbers.
You are conflating violence which has every motive and cause under the sun with the political-religious motivated violence of Islam. That's just goofy.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Liberals are people with idealistic views of the world which none of them are realistic and balanced. In a perfect world where everyone have well paying jobs, 5 weeks of vacations, and live in good sized homes then having a few more illegals in the outskirts of town is not gonna hurt that's the view of most liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies