Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 09:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Are you really this obtuse or just pretending? Notwithstanding the existence of a union, the production of Hamilton is a privately run business. It is not a government business. The actors are not paid with public funds.
You are the one who said the actors run a privately owned business.

They still don't.

I informed you that the actors are union workers.

They still are.

That's it.

Same end to the same story.

Stop trying to make it into something that it never was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 09:39 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
No, the cast should not need to apologize, if Trump, Pence, and the conservatives are so hurt by what was said, maybe they need to have safe places to go where these snowflakes can be protected from any form of criticism against the Trump Administration and their voting history (referring to Pence on that one since Trump, the political novice, lacks any form of voting record.)
ha, the left is the king and queen of those safe spaces.

Distraught students get therapy dogs to cope with Trump’s win | New York Post

Your buddies have a monopoly on the play dough, coloring books, therapy dogs, and cry ins.

Of course the cast doesn't have to apologize. Their right to spout whatever they want. But they really should learn how to "win friends and influence people" by actually having an actual conversation with one on the topic, not using a bully pulpit/one way preaching technique to try to sell their idea. And the wording/way it was all phrased was frankly counterproductive to what I think(?) they were trying to accomplish. I'm not a fan of rove but he makes a very good point here:

Karl Rove: What if

This is what was said:

"We, sir,” Mr. Dixon said, “we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights. We truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us.”"

And imagine if it was phrased like this, not in a condescending/accusing type manner:

“We, sir, are the part of the diverse nation that is America. With the election now past, we all hope for your administration’s success in defending our planet, our children, and the inalienable rights of every American. We are grateful you came and hope this show inspires you as you work on behalf of all the people of our common country.”

So yeah, he could say whatever he wanted. 1st amendment and all that. Great. But it alienated in the eyes of many. And didn't sell. Sounded preachy/whiny/placing blame. Perhaps next time smarter heads will prevail and replace snarky/ineffective communications if their goal was to get the VP to do something/convince him to see things in a different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
A tad defensive, are you?

So, tell us what you do for a living where you are allowed to start a political argument with a patron of your business without getting fired? Is losing your job over your right to "free speech" worth it to you?

Once again, people spend good money to go to a Broadway play. Have you ever gone to one? If so, then you should realize that. No one who spends that kind of money deserves to have to put up with any disruptions, be they by the cast or the audience.

If you went to a play that you looked forward to seeing, maybe even saved your money for quite sometime so you could attend, you would not appreciate any type of interruption.

You are only agreeing and applauding the despicable actions of this cast member because, like you, he is anti-Trump. We all know you would be singing a different tune if it was a cast member who spoke in a similar fashion to Hillary.
I saw this type of thing at a U2 concert, bono going on at one point, preaching this/that/the other thing political. My wife and I were thinking......"shut up bono, we are here for the entertainment/music, not your ego/ political views. Get over yourself.".

Old 11-19-2016, 09:42 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Just stop it already. You voted for a foul-mouthed hate monger because of his "economic policy." He dished out ignorant vitriol for years and now he and his followers are going to receive a fair share of it back.
Jokes on you.

We wont be "receiving" it. We will most of the time be ignoring it as irrelevant.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:43 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
A tad defensive, are you?

So, tell us what you do for a living where you are allowed to start a political argument with a patron of your place of employment without getting fired? Is losing your job over your right to "free speech" worth it to you? Or are you a business owner who doesn't care if you alienate customers?

Once again, people spend good money to go to a Broadway play. Have you ever gone to one? If so, then you should realize that. No one who spends that kind of money deserves to have to put up with any disruptions, be they by the cast or the audience.

If you went to a play that you looked forward to seeing, maybe even saved your money for quite sometime so you could attend, you would not appreciate any type of interruption.

You are only agreeing and applauding the despicable actions of this cast member because, like you, he is anti-Trump. We all know you would be singing a different tune if it was a cast member who spoke in a similar fashion to Hillary.
First, the play wasn't interrupted. Second, the comments weren't despicable--not even close. Third, I'm a staunch defender of the First Amendment and never criticize anyone for exercising free speech rights.

And yes, I have seen Broadway plays and hope to see Hamilton one day.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:46 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
First, the play wasn't interrupted. Second, the comments weren't despicable--not even close. Third, I'm a staunch defender of the First Amendment and never criticize anyone for exercising free speech rights.

And yes, I have seen Broadway plays and hope to see Hamilton one day.
So what do you do for a living where you are allowed to instigate political arguments with customers?

Old 11-19-2016, 09:47 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Obama was never anything other than divisive. You are delusional as usual.
Wow. If you think Obama was divisive then hold on for a ride because Trump is already proving to be more divisive.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Jokes on you.

We wont be "receiving" it. We will most of the time be ignoring it as irrelevant.
Hahahahahahaha! Ignore it? Your precious snowflake Trump is the one who demanded the apology and all the baby snowflakes are calling for apologies all over the Internet.

Trump will be a wreck trying to defend himself from all the crap coming his way.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:52 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Hahahahahahaha! Ignore it? You precious snowflake Trump is the one who demanded the apology and all the baby snowflakes are calling for apologies all over the Internet.

Trump will be a wreck trying to defend himself from all the crap coming his way.
You got that right...that's all you people are good for, crap. Race mongering & irrational emotionalism. Pathetic group of white, self-loathing beta males out here on CD.

Quote:
So what do you do for a living where you are allowed to instigate political arguments with customers?
What I do for a living isn't any if your business. But I happily exercise my First Amendment rights then I'm there. Believe me or not. I don't care.

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Wow. If you think Obama was divisive then hold on for a ride because Trump is already proving to be more divisive.
Not by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies