Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 01:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
not the same thing........when you bake a wedding cake you also have to deliver it at the gay wedding and set it up and make sure the customer is satisfied with the product. That's like forcing a black baker do a big cake for the anniversary of the KKK and take it to the private party and set it up and if he doesn't do it, he will get fine and sue by the government.
a better comparison is, Pence wanting the cast of Hamilton to do a personal show for a group of conservatives Republicans at Pence's house and the cast of Hamilton refusing because they are all Democrats and they wouldn't feel comfortable doing and then Pence suing the cast of Hamilton for refusing to do the private ceremony.
whoa hold on a minute. There is no requirement that the cast of Hamilton conduct a private performance for anyone, and if they chose to do so there would be no prohibition from them declining to do so for people with a particular political ideology, because republicans are not a protected class under the New York anti-discrimination law

A bakery does not have to deliver or set up a cake for anyone, where did you ever come up with that? The cases in which courts have ruled that bakers who normally prepare and sell cakes cannot refuse to do so solely on the basis of the sexual orientation of the buyer, the only time that would include a duty for the baker to set up and include delivery in the order would be if they routinely included those services for other customers. AND there is no federal basis for forcing a baker to bake a cake for an LGBT customer, it is only illegal in states with anti-discrimination laws that include sexual orientation as a protected class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 01:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Even MSNBC gets it right...
There's a time and place for everything.
lol Morning Joe..he's a former Republican congressman, it's so funny when people try to claim he's a 'liberal'

Old 11-21-2016, 02:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Even MSNBC gets it right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Kg0dD7MS4

There's a time and place for everything.
The time for free speech is any time. For many, they may get one opportunity at an elected official.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:56 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
yall really crying about broadway play?

Old 11-21-2016, 04:05 PM

652 posts, read 874,032 times
$1,500 a ticket to watch these clowns?

Old 11-21-2016, 04:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Talking Everybody (incl. Trump) please calm down

Look...

Pence is a big boy. He's held elected office for quite a few years now. He's supposed to be a polished operator capable of moving in the top circles.

So, how come he ran away?

Is that what passes for leadership in today's GOP?

Why couldn't he show some class?

He could have gone on stage and spoken to the cast AND the audience.

Something like:

"I understand your concerns. But please watch and see how we perform once we take office. You may be pleased with how things develop. We're going to be working for all Americans."

Or words to that effect.

A simple statement like that would have made him look a whole lot better than skulking out into the hallway and then letting Trump cover for him with another tweet war.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:11 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
I think they are in their own right to make a political statement assuming that the management/owner of the show is on board.

However, I think it was tactless to address the Pence directly thereby singling him out. I don't think it was disrespectful or harassment..... just a bit tactless.

I personally feel that Pence is acting more presidential than Trump on this one... and I say that as someone who doesn't like Pence.

The leader should hold the higher ground and show patience/even temper at those he supposedly represents. Then lead with actions. Pence stated that he wasn't insulted by it and was listening to their concerns quietly....

I expect concerned scared people to lash out..... They feel powerless. I hold a President who holds power/influence to higher bar of expectation than the typical scared citizen.

Last edited by usayit; 11-21-2016 at 04:19 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 04:37 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Look...

Pence is a big boy. He's held elected office for quite a few years now. He's supposed to be a polished operator capable of moving in the top circles.

So, how come he ran away?

Is that what passes for leadership in today's GOP?

Why couldn't he show some class?

He could have gone on stage and spoken to the cast AND the audience.

Something like:

"I understand your concerns. But please watch and see how we perform once we take office. You may be pleased with how things develop. We're going to be working for all Americans."

Or words to that effect.

A simple statement like that would have made him look a whole lot better than skulking out into the hallway and then letting Trump cover for him with another tweet war.
I am by no means a fan of Pence, but he's come out since that time and said he enjoyed the play and had no issue with what they said to him. I do believe from what I read the play was over and he was leaving. It appears everyone else is more worked up about it than him.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I am by no means a fan of Pence, but he's come out since that time and said he enjoyed the play and had no issue with what they said to him. I do believe from what I read the play was over and he was leaving. It appears everyone else is more worked up about it than him.
Yep, it's about the only thing I've ever agreed with him on.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:43 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I said that addressing an audience member in theater is not unheard of and has happened before. You said prove it so I did. Now you're complaining because it isn't the same thing as what happened with Pence?

Well I guess expecting you to admit that you were wrong on this matter was too much.
How's this. You are technically right, but pfft the point flew over your head.

An actor calling out a rude customer who is yelling to an actor, has a cell phone ringing etc, is not the same thing as an actor singling out and lecturing a paying customer who is on his on time even though he happens to be the VP.

Happy now? How does it feel to be right, but oh so wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies