Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 04:51 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times

Advertisements

Perhaps they already had enough whites in the show and crew and they went out of their way to INCLUDE others. I see plenty of whites in the google images of the show.

Another example of snowflakes trying to make oppression out of equality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 05:48 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Look at the list, and how many Africans, and Asians, etc are played by white actors or converted into white characters.
So no answer on what would happen if a show like Roots was remade largely with white actors as the slaves, and minorities were specifically told not to bother asking for an audition? You just want to divert rather than bother answering ?

Why bother responding if you don't want to answer simple questions put to you ?

Old 11-20-2016, 07:48 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
So no answer on what would happen if a show like Roots was remade largely with white actors as the slaves, and minorities were specifically told not to bother asking for an audition? You just want to divert rather than bother answering ?

Why bother responding if you don't want to answer simple questions put to you ?
Oh so it's ok as long as it's not on the casting call? got it. that makes sense.

I since it's not my industry I don't really look up casting call details. I doubt you do either. But the proof in the in pudding when you look at the history of white washing.

example: World Trade Center white actor William Mapother plays Marine Sergeant Jason Thomas, who in real life is of African American descent.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:56 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Oh so it's ok as long as it's not on the casting call? got it. that makes sense.

I since it's not my industry I don't really look up casting call details. I doubt you do either. But the proof in the in pudding when you look at the history of white washing.

example: World Trade Center white actor William Mapother plays Marine Sergeant Jason Thomas, who in real life is of African American descent.

I have no clue why they chose to change the character to a white guy . Certainly makes no sense . But it still doesn't address my point . We are not talking about a few select individual decisions . We are talking about an entire show making a point of telling everyone of a certain race to not bother auditioning because their particular color isn't wanted. Especially when the people being told not to audition are the color of the characters being portrayed .

Since you don't seem to be willing to address the actual point and answer my question on something like "Roots" as an all white cast, we appear to be at an impasse . I don't care to continue a discussion with those afraid to answer questions they don't like .

Old 11-20-2016, 07:58 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Most of the cast (plurality or majority) is already white so they were probably looking to give a chance to nonwhite actors (which are rare)

Old 11-20-2016, 07:59 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
It seems that there are a couple of basic rules at play for many liberals:

1) Liberals are never racist.

2) Libertarians, conservatives, and independents are INVARIABLY going to be racist. Even if they aren't racist, they still are. To liberals, that is.

3) It's never racist to discriminate against whites. Asians are usually included with whites on this one.

4) See #1.

This makes it nearly impossible to have a genuinely practical discussion with some liberals about race relations, racism in government, culture and society, etc.
Tho in the real world; skin color and sex seem to be the "line" IF talking stupid level racism. A white woman with gennie "Black woman" facial features WILL almost always be accepted as "white"; especially if a blue eyed blond, even by hard core neo nazis. But a pasty white skin blue eyed "Black" dude will probably have more trouble, sad to say.

Asians: they're all over the map if talking racists of any "race" cause skin color lines don't mean much to their kind.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:04 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I have no clue why they chose to change the character to a white guy . Certainly makes no sense . But it still doesn't address my point . We are not talking about a few select individual decisions . We are talking about an entire show making a point of telling everyone of a certain race to not bother auditioning because their particular color isn't wanted. Especially when the people being told not to audition are the color of the characters being portrayed .

Since you don't seem to be willing to address the actual point and answer my question on something like "Roots" as an all white cast, we appear to be at an impasse . I don't care to continue a discussion with those afraid to answer questions they don't like .

I believe race/age/physical fitness/height etc are listed on casting calls all the time...... do you really believe otherwise?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:14 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
It was a horribly-worded casting call. Casting calls frequently specify that insert race, sex, height, whatever actors are needed for the roll. The produces wanted non-white actors. It's allowed.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
I believe race/age/physical fitness/height etc are listed on casting calls all the time......
All.the.time.

But leave it to the people who have NO idea how casting actually works to cry, "It's racist!!!" so they can get their digs in at "Hamilton" and anyone associated with it.

Seriously, people. Get a grip.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:21 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
President Trump should shut the show down immediately for racist violation of discrimination laws in their hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies