Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:17 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times

Advertisements

They want the government to control the food we eat and to tax it so people don't buy as much of it, and yet the government allows and supports the manufacture and wide spread use of corn syrup and GMO foodstuffs. It's insanity. If libertarianism helps end the corn lobby with corn syrup and ethanol, more power to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 07:23 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,653 times
Libertarianism is not a practical political philosophy. It ignores basic human flaws and makes the assumption that all people are the same. Libertarianism can never work in the society that we have today. Our population is not suited for libertarianism and many libertarians know this, yet promote the ideology anyway.

It's true that most people are too stupid for a libertarian government to work.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 AM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Libertarianism is not a practical political philosophy. It ignores basic human flaws and makes the assumption that all people are the same. Libertarianism can never work in the society that we have today. Our population is not suited for libertarianism and many libertarians know this, yet promote the ideology anyway.

It's true that most people are too stupid for a libertarian government to work.
Ah but those same "stupid" people are qualified to vote for rulers and laws that impact us all. Interesting logic and spoken like a true elitist.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:43 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,256 times
People are so afraid of being free. It would be really amusing, except for the fact that their fear not only subjects them to state control, but also binds those of us who wish to be free.

I can't help but picture being in a cage with a bunch of people, and when we try to open it the others rush to keep it shut. They cling to the cage because they've never experienced being an actual free, responsible human being and the master tells them how bad it would be if they left.

It's hard to convince people that they should be free when they have a phobia of it. I just looked it up: Eleutherophobia - "The fear of freedom".

Old 11-21-2016, 07:45 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Ah but those same "stupid" people are qualified to vote for rulers and laws that impact us all. Interesting logic and spoken like a true elitist.
Yes! Took the words out of my mouth.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You know that I'm right. You can't honestly say that a population with an 85 IQ average would be able to cope in a libertarian society. There really are stupid people in the world. Stop pretending like that's out of the bounds of discussion as if you're some kind of overly sensitive progressive.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
People are so afraid of being free. It would be really amusing, except for the fact that their fear not only subjects them to state control, but also binds those of us who wish to be free.

I can't help but picture being in a cage with a bunch of people, and when we try to open it the others rush to keep it shut. They cling to the cage because they've never experienced being an actual free, responsible human being and the master tells them how bad it would be if they left.

It's hard to convince people that they should be free when they have a phobia of it. I just looked it up: Eleutherophobia - "The fear of freedom".
Why are you afraid of being free? Pack up and leave this society and stop being a ridiculous hypocrite. You like to pretend that you are a libertarian, yet you live in and benefit from a non-libertarian society. You are like a person claiming to be a vegetarian yet you eat a steak dinner every night. No one is stopping you from leaving.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,740 times
Numerous libertarians are actually Republicans who are too embarrassed to identify as "Republican". They will often disagree with the GOP on a few little social issues, but they'll sensationalise these differences to appear alternative and rebellious.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:57 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Socially liberal? Libertarianism is being against the use of force in government. Nothing to do with the individual being more responsible. Everything to do with allowing the individual more freedom in running their lives and having the ability to be more responsible. Be irresponsible (fat) if you want, don't abuse the rights of an individual.

Libertarians are not on both sides of the marriage issue. They don't want government forcing others to accept that marriage. Your examples are off.
Is this a joke? I literally said libertarians are not socially liberal and do not think government should be involved in marriage. I can kind of accept you messing up the first part, since I did start off by saying the common definition given, which is that it's socially liberal and fiscally conservative. The literal next sentence said that definition was **** though. And I very clearly said libertarians don't believe governments should officiate marriages.

So, let's try a little harder to read the whole post before we make ourselves look like asses, shall we?

Old 11-21-2016, 07:58 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let me change the question to help keep the debate on aa narrower path.

How does government subsidized healthcare reduce obesity?

I know the fact I have insurance makes my cholesterol medication cheaper.
To the extent, for instance, that I as a primary care doc can help get their weight down. I/we do a much better job than 20-30 years ago, but still not very effective. Gov't dollars spent simply for weight reduction is relatively meager, but the long term dollar reduction benefits are quite high per successful patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies