Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:55 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Numerous libertarians are actually Republicans who are too embarrassed to identify as "Republican". They will often disagree with the GOP on a few little social issues, but they'll sensationalise these differences to appear alternative and rebellious.
It's hard to identify with Republicans if you support LGBT equality, trust science, believe in separation of church and state, etc. Even if you support the GOP on other issues, claiming to be Republican means taking on that baggage by default.

I think pure libertarianism is like communism in that it looks good on paper and would work in a perfect world but doesn't account for the flaws in human nature. That doesn't mean that there aren't libertarian principles which can work and benefit in our democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 09:59 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I already explained why the bold is incorrect, so I won't repeat myself.

I don't think of myself as a victim, but everyone technically is a victim of the state. I put victim in quotes because I wasn't sure what other term to use.

How about this...

You give me $50 a month, or I'll send someone to your house with a gun if you don't pay up. You're also not allowed to own white socks, and it's mandatory that you take dance lessons...so if you're in violation of either of those things, he'll make sure that bad things happen to you.

But remember not to be an insufferable whiner about it. You're free to move if you don't like it.
No, you didn't explain why you can't move. You didn't give a good reason.

I know the reason. Living in this "oppressive" society isn't as bad as you pretend it is. It's certainly not bad enough for you even consider leaving it. If you did consider leaving it, then you must have weighed the pros and cons and made the decision to stay, because you enjoy living here more than the alternative.

You enjoy pretending to be a libertarian because then you can feel like you are part of an exclusive group and sneer and others who don't share your beliefs. Yet you aren't even sincere in your beliefs. Most libertarians aren't.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:18 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I use to be libertarian leaning but as time has gone by I now consider myself more of a moderate. I still despise liberalism and leftism but I just can't agree with libertarian views anymore.

The basic premise of libertarianism is that as long as people have to face the consequences of their actions, they will use their freedom in a way that is responsible, and that only when government artificially shields people from said consequences do they do stupid things. Well, about a year ago I got into the fitness lifestyle which has literally changed my life, and one of the biggest things that has stunned me during that time is that it has opened my eyes to just how stupid people can be.

I already sort of knew that most people are fat even before this, but I did not spend too much time thinking about it. But as the year has gone by I have been amazed by just how weak and ignorant most people are in regards to food and diet. Nobody cares if what they are putting into their body will make them fat and ill, they just eat it anyway.

The traditional response from a libertarian will be that it's their freedom to make that choice.

Yes, but here's the thing: Nobody actually knows what they are doing, and when they do they are too weak to act/care. You will almost NEVER find a fat person that actually likes being fat. The reason people are so fat is because they are too stupid to bother learning about what they are eating or are simply too greedy to learn portion control. FAT PEOPLE ARE NOT INFORMED CONSUMERS. They are basically just morons who don't care. They aren't fat because they made that choice, they are fat BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID.

Fat people are literally the perfect example of the failure of libertarian ideology. Being fat comes with clear negative effects and thus on paper should give people a good enough of a incentive to care about what they eat in a free market economy where people are free to choose what they eat. And yet, nothing could be further from the truth. Most people don't give a ****. If something tastes good, they just eat it without any regard to what the consequences might be.

Does this mean I want to live in some uber-liberal nanny state? No, but I still think libertarians would do well to ask themselves, if people are so able to take responsibility then why is everyone so fat?
Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong

Old 11-21-2016, 10:22 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Food stamps don't make people fat, overeating and eating bad food does.
When food stamp recipients double-dip and even triple-dip several different government free food social programs simultaneously, that results in overeating. They're getting 2 to 3 times as much food as they need.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:26 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
How about I don't give a crap? Oh, next you will likely tell me that they drive up health costs? Well... that is only a problem for communists who think everyone else should be paying for others health care? See, if we get rid of all these programs that subjugate some to pay for another, well... it solves itself and then when you ask a question as such, I say... I don't care if you are fat, lazy, and irresponsible, I am not paying for it and so I don't care?

This isn't rocket science here.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:37 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
It is correct that exercise is healthy, but it still doesn't burn that many calories.

No it can't. It's exactly this misunderstanding that keeps so many people fat. They go and exercise, and then afterward they think "well I am doing lots of exercise so I can afford to eat this burger" and then they just stay fat. Treadmills are honestly the biggest joke ever and I secretly laugh whenever I see fat people on them. They are wasting their time. The only thing that safes you from being fat is eating less. Doing an hour of cardio a day on a treadmill will do almost nothing.

Don't confuse physics with psychology.

Your choice - less calories in or more calories out.

Eat less and eat low cal stuff. Fine.

And/or exercise more.

Get your MyFitness App, and tabulate all your intake and output.

Treadmills are a great exercise modality. Speed and elevation are important, along with the time factor. Anyone doing a daily routine of 1 hr @ 2.8 mph and 10% grade is going to lose weight!

It is relatively easy to lose a pound a month with a proper regimen.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:52 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I agree. Libertarianism would just result in everyone stepping on each other's toes. And private individual property owners and wealthy or Islam would step in and become the de facto government.

I want closed borders and protectionism and then we can talk about libertarianism.
Yep. Libertarianism doesn't work if non-US citizens get free access to the US, while US citizens only have access to the US and nowhere else because every other country has no problem enforcing their borders and prioritizing their own citizens.

All it does is shortchange Americans.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:58 AM

537 posts, read 597,625 times
Quote:
It is correct that exercise is healthy, but it still doesn't burn that many calories.

I never said exercise doesn't burn ANY calories. It just doesn't burn enough to allow for a meaningful increase in food consumption. I work out 3 times a week, and I probably burn no more than perhaps 600-900 extra calories for those 3 combined.

No it can't. It's exactly this misunderstanding that keeps so many people fat. They go and exercise, and then afterward they think "well I am doing lots of exercise so I can afford to eat this burger" and then they just stay fat. Treadmills are honestly the biggest joke ever and I secretly laugh whenever I see fat people on them. They are wasting their time. The only thing that safes you from being fat is eating less. Doing an hour of cardio a day on a treadmill will do almost nothing.

Food stamps don't make people fat, overeating and eating bad food does. Stupid people aren't just more likely to be fat, they are also more likely to be poor, because just like they are bad with food they are also bad with money. I suppose you might have some point in that giving even more money to stupid people probably isn't a very good idea, but it still doesn't make sense to claim food stamps make people fat in that food stamps themselves don't force people to overeat/eat crap.
Saying that walking and treadmills are a joke is complete rubbish. Walking is an absolutely fantastic way to get the metabolism going in the morning, and adding it into your daily routine is a great way to moderate weight gain. That said, it's certainly not a substitute for "real" exercise like weight lifting or interval training or HIIT cardio. Lots of walking PLUS weight lifting PLUS high intensity interval training is really the most optimal way to keep fit, on the physical activity side of things.

I switched to a walking desk for work, and over a year lost about 30 pounds (I wasn't even very overweight to begin with, so that 30 pounds was a lot for me). Walking several miles a day DOES burn hundreds of calories, in some cases well in excess of 1,000 depending on the distance and your weight.

I eat about 3500 calories a day, have a 33 inch waist, and never gain a pound unless I am specifically trying to, such as when I want to gain more muscle mass. Physical activity DOES make a huge difference in terms of caloric expenditure. Between the walking I do thanks to my treadmill desk plus weight lifting, I burn in excess of 1,000 calories a day easily. My base metabolic rate burns about 2500 calories a day, so that means 3500 calories a day - 1000 calories burned through physical activity minus my base metabolic requirements of 2500 = 0, which explains why I remain at a consistent weight.

I think where people get confused is thinking 15 minutes of walking is going to make a difference - it won't. An HOUR (or more) of walking a day will make a difference, but only if it's consistently done 5+ days a week, and only if caloric intake isn't increased at the same time. If you only have 30 minutes a day to exercise, walking is a poor choice.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:30 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
No, you didn't explain why you can't move. You didn't give a good reason.

I know the reason. Living in this "oppressive" society isn't as bad as you pretend it is. It's certainly not bad enough for you even consider leaving it. If you did consider leaving it, then you must have weighed the pros and cons and made the decision to stay, because you enjoy living here more than the alternative.

You enjoy pretending to be a libertarian because then you can feel like you are part of an exclusive group and sneer and others who don't share your beliefs. Yet you aren't even sincere in your beliefs. Most libertarians aren't.
No, not at all. I honestly wish it was just normal for people to live and let live. That would be great. I don't even identify with any specific label...libertarian, anarchist, voluntaryist...I don't care what group I'm a part of, I'm just against using force against innocent people.

It really can be condensed down to one thing. If it's wrong for people to do on their own, it's wrong to have the government do it on their behalf. That's the only thing that needs to change.

People currently (falsely) believe that an action is somehow made right by getting together and electing somebody to else to do it. They want an organization in society that's allowed to do what would be wrong if any of them did it on their own. That's all that needs to go.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:01 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
I use to be libertarian leaning but as time has gone by I now consider myself more of a moderate. I still despise liberalism and leftism but I just can't agree with libertarian views anymore.

The basic premise of libertarianism is that as long as people have to face the consequences of their actions, they will use their freedom in a way that is responsible, and that only when government artificially shields people from said consequences do they do stupid things. Well, about a year ago I got into the fitness lifestyle which has literally changed my life, and one of the biggest things that has stunned me during that time is that it has opened my eyes to just how stupid people can be.

I already sort of knew that most people are fat even before this, but I did not spend too much time thinking about it. But as the year has gone by I have been amazed by just how weak and ignorant most people are in regards to food and diet. Nobody cares if what they are putting into their body will make them fat and ill, they just eat it anyway.

The traditional response from a libertarian will be that it's their freedom to make that choice.

Yes, but here's the thing: Nobody actually knows what they are doing, and when they do they are too weak to act/care. You will almost NEVER find a fat person that actually likes being fat. The reason people are so fat is because they are too stupid to bother learning about what they are eating or are simply too greedy to learn portion control. FAT PEOPLE ARE NOT INFORMED CONSUMERS. They are basically just morons who don't care. They aren't fat because they made that choice, they are fat BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID.

Fat people are literally the perfect example of the failure of libertarian ideology. Being fat comes with clear negative effects and thus on paper should give people a good enough of a incentive to care about what they eat in a free market economy where people are free to choose what they eat. And yet, nothing could be further from the truth. Most people don't give a ****. If something tastes good, they just eat it without any regard to what the consequences might be.

Does this mean I want to live in some uber-liberal nanny state? No, but I still think libertarians would do well to ask themselves, if people are so able to take responsibility then why is everyone so fat?
So you used to be a libertarian but now you are a fascist. Two years ago, I would have shrugged. These days, I'm all too aware that this is a trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies