Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 03:28 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,498 times

Advertisements

I use to be libertarian leaning but as time has gone by I now consider myself more of a moderate. I still despise liberalism and leftism but I just can't agree with libertarian views anymore.

The basic premise of libertarianism is that as long as people have to face the consequences of their actions, they will use their freedom in a way that is responsible, and that only when government artificially shields people from said consequences do they do stupid things. Well, about a year ago I got into the fitness lifestyle which has literally changed my life, and one of the biggest things that has stunned me during that time is that it has opened my eyes to just how stupid people can be.

I already sort of knew that most people are fat even before this, but I did not spend too much time thinking about it. But as the year has gone by I have been amazed by just how weak and ignorant most people are in regards to food and diet. Nobody cares if what they are putting into their body will make them fat and ill, they just eat it anyway.

The traditional response from a libertarian will be that it's their freedom to make that choice.

Yes, but here's the thing: Nobody actually knows what they are doing, and when they do they are too weak to act/care. You will almost NEVER find a fat person that actually likes being fat. The reason people are so fat is because they are too stupid to bother learning about what they are eating or are simply too greedy to learn portion control. FAT PEOPLE ARE NOT INFORMED CONSUMERS. They are basically just morons who don't care. They aren't fat because they made that choice, they are fat BECAUSE THEY ARE STUPID.

Fat people are literally the perfect example of the failure of libertarian ideology. Being fat comes with clear negative effects and thus on paper should give people a good enough of a incentive to care about what they eat in a free market economy where people are free to choose what they eat. And yet, nothing could be further from the truth. Most people don't give a ****. If something tastes good, they just eat it without any regard to what the consequences might be.

Does this mean I want to live in some uber-liberal nanny state? No, but I still think libertarians would do well to ask themselves, if people are so able to take responsibility then why is everyone so fat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 03:30 PM

1,008 posts, read 487,439 times
What business is it of yours? You were never a libertarian liar.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:32 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
libertarianism is not a diet plan or a panacea for whatever else ails you. It just means you don't initiate force against others and respect private property rights.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:37 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
libertarianism is not a diet plan or a panacea for whatever else ails you. It just means you don't initiate force against others and respect private property rights.
It also means that the big majority of the population will have the great freedom to choose between food or medicine as a tiny super rich elite will rule the economy indefinitely using their monopolistic powers and total control of media to ensure it stays that way.

The OP talks about stupidity but working stiffs supporting libertarianism is really the peak of stupidity.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:38 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Literally nothing you said would indicated that libertarianism does not work. As a non-libertarian, that's hardly me saying it would. It is however me saying that this argument demonstrate a clear lack of understanding of what libertarianism is.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It also means that the big majority of the population will have the great freedom to choose between food or medicine as a tiny super rich elite will rule the economy indefinitely using their monopolistic powers and total control of media to ensure it stays that way.

The OP talks about stupidity but working stiffs supporting libertarianism is really the peak of stupidity.
The natural monopolies have all but disappeared. It is the unnatural monopolies of government that are in the hands of the elite and always will be.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:40 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

Hahaha you just described the results of the D vs. R system we have today

Old 11-20-2016, 03:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Thread over.

How many times do we have to go over this?

1. NAP
2. Private property rights

End. Fin.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:43 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Hahaha you just described the results of the D vs. R system we have today
But but but we get to vote!

Old 11-20-2016, 03:43 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
I agree. Libertarianism would just result in everyone stepping on each other's toes. And private individual property owners and wealthy or Islam would step in and become the de facto government.

I want closed borders and protectionism and then we can talk about libertarianism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies