Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 11:48 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
As a Liberal I am glad Conservatives are not such cry babies. 1 million cry babies.

Being Liberal is becoming harder and harder each day.

Liberals are now against everything we claim to be for. It's pathetic.
Apparently over a million of them no longer believe in democracy or the democratic process. That level of hypocrisy kind of makes you wonder what they are so upset about.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:52 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Apparently over a million of them no longer believe in democracy or the democratic process. That level of hypocrisy kind of makes you wonder what they are so upset about.
The electoral college isn't a democratic process.

In this case, it's anti-democratic. More people voted for Clinton.

So, you might want to check you definitions before you start talking about other peoples hypocrisy.

Trump was elected by a system that disproportionately benefits people in rural areas of small states.

So, you can say "the system worked as it was designed to", but not that the system is democratic..because it isn't.

Also, the electors have a right to elect who they want to. It's happened in the past. So, if by some slim chance that were to happen, it would be legal, and Trump supporters would have no claim that the system was unfair or undemocratic..because he lost the popular vote, and the electors can change votes.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
This is US process. The electors have not cast their votes yet, so this is the last chance to try to change their minds. Its very unlikely they will change anything, but they can try.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:04 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
I inherently dislike long term solutions to short term problems. The law of unintended consequences comes to mind. What works for you today, may bite you in the ass tomorrow.

Some liberals are all for abolishing the electoral college because right this instance it serves their immediate purpose....the future be damned.

I'm not oblivious that it gives one pause (and it should) when the popular vote doesn't rule the day, but anyone that looks into the founders reasoning for the electoral college realizes that there is a good reason to keep it.

I would not advocate abandoning the electoral college just because my candidate lost an election. There would have to be a much more logical and well thought out reason to drastically change the way we've been holding presidential elections for 200 plus years.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:07 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I'll bet Hillary signed that petition at least 500,000 times. Bill twice that amount.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Someone asked me for a signature, so I had to look it up. It is true, they are collecting signatures for the electorate to vote for Hillary instead of Trump, and since there is no legal mandate for them to vote for Trump, it is at least theoretically possible, they would do it.

I didn't sign, but apparently they have over 1.3 million signatures already.

Petition for electoral college coup against Trump gets more than 1 million signatures

Anger and discontent over President-elect Donald Trump’s victory is being channeled into an electoral college coup attempt. More than a million people have signed a petition urging electors from states Trump won to cast their votes instead for Hillary Clinton

Who cares!

Just like you don't care about over 3 million illegal aliens that voted in this election nor do you care 5 states counted more votes than registered voters, with more vote still left to count.

The only petition that would matter is an amendment to the US Constitution.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:12 PM

776 posts, read 745,829 times
I do find it quite funny that they want nearly 5 million signatures to overturn 60 million plus votes.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:40 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

So, you might want to check you definitions before you start talking about other peoples hypocrisy.

Trump was elected by a system that disproportionately benefits people in rural areas of small states.

So, you can say "the system worked as it was designed to", but not that the system is democratic..because it isn't.

Also, the electors have a right to elect who they want to. It's happened in the past. So, if by some slim chance that were to happen, it would be legal, and Trump supporters would have no claim that the system was unfair or undemocratic..because he lost the popular vote, and the electors can change votes.
We don't live in a democracy anyways. We live in a republic.

You can rail against the Electoral College till doomsday. It's not going away. You can make strong arguments for and against it. In a recent interview, Bernie Sanders makes the case in favor of the Electoral College (skip ahead to 6:12):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlmuKtyhDKg

Sanders' home state of Vermont is just one of roughly 21 states that would get completely ignored if we went to a pure popular vote. That is precisely the reason states have the number of electors that they have. At the Constitutional Convention, tiny states like Delaware, Rhode Island and Vermont wanted assurances that their low-population states wouldn't get run over and bullied by large population states. Truth of the matter is, that hasn't changed. Wyoming, Vermont and South Dakota don't want to become completely irrelevant when electing our government leaders. I think we all know that if we were a pure representative democracy, then that's exactly what would happen. It already does to some degree.

Ultimately, it'd take an Amendment to get rid of the Electoral College. So first you need the 29 most populous states to vote unanimously. Then you need 9 of the 21 states that benefit significantly from the Electoral College to vote to make themselves even less important than they already are.

I think we all know that's never going to happen.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:52 PM

451 posts, read 236,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, I just looked at the petition, and it's now 4,535,934 supporters.

I'm sure it will go nowhere, but if it somehow should, I wonder how many people who have been defending the EC would still think it's such a great idea. There is little in the way of real consequences for faithless electors.

HAHA!! First of all there have already been threads on this at least 2 or 3 and they are already 7 - 10 days old. Also, do you know that out of those 4,535,934 supporters... do you know that people have signed that petition in countries such as Canada, Brussels, France, Japan, etc.

Also, people have been signing it multiple times! Hell, I am a staunch Trump supporter. Voted for Trump.
Can't wait for Jan. 20, 2017!! And just for laughs I signed the petition at least 5 times. Once as Daffy Duck, once as Donald Duck, once as Darth Vader......you get the picture.

In fact, a lawyer on MSNBC , the most liberal of the libs, could not keep a straight face when asked on the "chances" of this petition succeeding.

Odds are probably better that Hillary will invite Monica Lewinsky over for Thanksgiving Dinner.

But hey....one can always dream........

Old 11-21-2016, 12:54 PM

451 posts, read 236,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

Of course if Trump had won the popular vote......and Hillary the electoral college....you would be saying the
same thing....Right?? Hello? Hello?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies