Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:24 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Boy, they are hard to boycott, but they have 2 major strikes against them:

1. Jeff Bezos owns WaPo which is nothing but an anti-Trump tabloid.
2. Their new ad tries to morally equate murderous Islam with peaceful Christianity
Here we go again. Even if the Washington Post were anti-Trump, that has nothing to do with Amazon as a company. Boycotting them because Bezos doesn't care for the president-elect is patently ridiculous. That's like conservatives boycotting Starbucks because they don't agree with their political positions. It has nothing to do with the product itself.

Secondly, equating all Muslim people with the tiny minority of Muslim terrorists is a huge, inaccurate generalization. It's the same as saying all Christian priests are pedophiles because a tiny number of Catholic priests were/are molesting children, and I'm sure you don't believe that about "peaceful Christianity," do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:

2. Their new ad tries to morally equate murderous Islam with peaceful Christianity

The free market has a way of weeding out the bad players.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:28 AM

937 posts, read 926,748 times
Quote:

There was the period of... You know...

Spanish Inquisition, The Crusades, KKK, The French Wars of Religion, that whole period of Brigham Young's Quest to the West.

It wasn't really until MLK did Modern Day Christianity really actually mold itself into a truly peaceful religion.

Remember that the start of this nation and many of its griefs come from the separation of immigrants into religious factions in order to practice religion in peace... And even then, their religious principles still incited violence.

Even then, I sense a lot of subterfuge.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:31 AM

57,221 posts, read 26,166,435 times
I'm sure the OP had no issues with Breitbart and Bannon but take issue with a peaceful message regarding Muslims.

Amazon will just need to survive his boycott, I hope they get through the holiday season

Last edited by Goodnight; 11-22-2016 at 08:12 AM..

Old 11-22-2016, 07:35 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,789,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
If you are going to boycott every company that believes that Islam is just a religion like Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism etc, you are going to be left with the gift shop at a trump hotel for your shopping needs.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:40 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
Default I just ended my Amazon Prime membership...

I cannot support Amazon.com when it also runs the rag WaPo.... I spend a lot of money but insignificant compared to its revenue... Does anyone also do stuff like this or am I the only one?

Old 11-22-2016, 07:43 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Half the stuff I buy from Amazon actually comes from third parties. Sure Amazon gets some money from those transactions, but unless they start killing people or doing something crazy, I won't let their political views impede on the convenience and cost savings I get from them. Also I don't mind funding a company that uses their revenues on innovation, especially considering Besos wants to privatize space travel and is actively working on it. Big picture for me is much more important then a few political views.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:43 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,588 times
I don't know what is going on with Amazon but I know conservatives have stayed away from Target and avoided the NFL. Target doesn't seem to be effected much but the NFL ratings have dramatically dropped(at least that is what headlines are making it out to be, I never looked at the real numbers to be honest). Starbucks has been boycotted for awhile, I think it was something about gun rights.

Liberals vowed to avoid a state do to LGBTQ concerns, I think it was South Carolina. That might be insignificant, because SC isn't really a tourist destination.

So yeah people do stuff like that. I haven't avoided any companies for political reasons, too inconvenient for me at this point. But I understand why people do and honestly I might jump on the bandwagon because companies are becoming more and more decisively politically outspoken.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:46 AM

6,744 posts, read 3,360,889 times
It is the right of every consumer to boycott whatever establishment they want for any reason they see fit.

If you don't like the message, don't spend your money there. I haven't gone into a Target store since they announced their (ridiculous) bathroom policy. Evidently a lot of customers felt the same way because Target lost almost $5 billion in value.

The point is, the power of your wallet can speak pretty loud, and that's what gets their attention.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:46 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,323,715 times
Not with Christmas around the corner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies