Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 06:58 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,221,735 times

Advertisements

Now is the time to do it. If they want, leave it open only for ALL races below poverty line.

Sick of this reverse discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 07:03 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Absolutely. With the appointment of a few good judges it might actually be possible for America to get rid of government sanctioned racial discrimination.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:04 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Now is the time to do it. If they want, leave it open only for ALL races below poverty line.

Why? Don't you know some people are just not good enough and they need our help.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:36 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:

Agreed.

Correcting a wrong with a wrong.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:50 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewby509 View Post
keep dreaming. you whine about affirmative action, yet are quiet about legacy admissions, which is affirmative action for white males who dont belong.
I have never understood what one has to do with the other.

It being 2017, I would think there are more than a few black legacy admissions out there.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:53 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
I support equality

which also means I think that affirmative action in certain areas have long past served its purpose and should be removed.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:56 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewby509 View Post
keep dreaming. you whine about affirmative action, yet are quiet about legacy admissions, which is affirmative action for white males who dont belong.
Admissions should be based on merit and merit only.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:40 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,177 times
Quote:

Affirmative action was already ended in multiple states. I moved to Florida in 2002 and learned that Governor Jeb Bush had banned affirmative action in 2000. As a minority (indigenous) from Arizona, I never heard any minority in Florida complain about it. Historically, there were some protests in 2000 as the ban was about to start. But as the years went by protests largely disappeared. I know the reason.

Minority graduation rates actually went up. Once affirmative action ended, only minorities with legitimate credentials matching the rest of the admitted class were admitted. For example, when affirmative action was in place, a minority with a gpa far below the average and SAT/ACT at the bottom of the class often got admitted anyway. But after Jeb Bush enacted his rule, such minorities were rejected and forced to go to community colleges. There were still minorities admitted but they had high gpas and test scores like the rest of the class since affirmative action was gone.

So (1) the admitted minorities in the absence of affirmative action were compatible with the rest of the class and (2) minorities rejected largely went to community colleges. The effects of (1) and (2) led to higher graduation rates overall for minorities.

So the ban on affirmative action actually helped minorities in Florida. I never heard a minority complain - not even once. I earned multiple graduate degrees in Florida without affirmative action. It was an awesome experience.

By contrast, the resentment against affirmative action in Colorado had reached a boiling point when I was last there in 2002. There were "affirmative action bake sales" from student Republicans mocking affirmative action. Under the surface, most minorities in the law school and medical school were stigmatized as illegitimate. This led to counter claims of racism. The "affirmative action bake sale" was a deeply divisive event. Colorado was not thriving with affirmative action. I wish they had outlawed it like Florida.

In writing this as a minority alumnus, I am well aware other minorities on the internet will likely label me a "traitor" or "sell-out". Among Native Americans, the term "apple" is often used as a pejorative reference to "native-red-on-the-outside-but-white-on-the-inside". My response is minority graduation rates really did no up, and the racial tension found in Colorado's university system is largely absent in Florida. Racism can still happen in Florida, but the tension and stigma related to affirmative action is absent because the policy ended in 2000.

I know how it feels to be a minority who go the highest score on a graduate exam on a campus where affirmative action was outlawed. It's a victory for me - my own version of "Little Big Horn".

Old 03-18-2017, 08:13 AM

2,416 posts, read 1,447,520 times
We do need to repeal and replace it with reparations. That way not only will black descendants of slaves receive real resources, but no other group will be able to take away from it as they did with Affirmative Action. Especially white women, who are the number one beneficiary of AA.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 AM

21,124 posts, read 19,707,707 times
I support reparations. A one way ticket back to Africa and forfeiture of their US Passport. This will make them whole again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies