Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 11:49 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Actually there are plenty of nosy busy bodies out there that ask and comment. I have an autistic son and really don't want to smile, be nice and answer random questions from strangers like this, but I do. People are really clueless, of course they are. Most haven't lived it and this thread is solid proof that people are clueless self proclaimed experts about the whole thing.

For one thing, people keep asking what is wrong with someone being autistic. I'll tell you, A LOT!!!!! I saw a meme the other day on social media that said "Autism is my super power." NO. Sorry it is not, that is, if you do have it, no its not. At its worst it is debilitating takes away the ability to speak and communicate and leaves someone dependent on others and the government their entire life. A LOT is wrong and not enough is being done about this horrible condition that is ruining our children. Acceptance of disabled people is one thing, claiming that we love these horrible disabilities as they are a blessing is just sick. No they are not.

And we call everything autism. It's a blanket diagnosis and shouldn't be. That there are high functioning people that have the same diagnosis as my son just makes things harder for families like mine. But go on, all you experts here, please tell us how it is.
Hugs.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:57 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Actually there are plenty of nosy busy bodies out there that ask and comment. I have an autistic son and really don't want to smile, be nice and answer random questions from strangers like this, but I do. People are really clueless, of course they are. Most haven't lived it and this thread is solid proof that people are clueless self proclaimed experts about the whole thing.

For one thing, people keep asking what is wrong with someone being autistic. I'll tell you, A LOT!!!!! I saw a meme the other day on social media that said "Autism is my super power." NO. Sorry it is not, that is, if you do have it, no its not. At its worst it is debilitating takes away the ability to speak and communicate and leaves someone dependent on others and the government their entire life. A LOT is wrong and not enough is being done about this horrible condition that is ruining our children. Acceptance of disabled people is one thing, claiming that we love these horrible disabilities as they are a blessing is just sick. No they are not.

And we call everything autism. It's a blanket diagnosis and shouldn't be. That there are high functioning people that have the same diagnosis as my son just makes things harder for families like mine. But go on, all you experts here, please tell us how it is.
I hear you. I wish more people read your fantastic post.

I lost a boyfriend to suicide, people always give me unwanted advice too. I now realize they didn't mean anything bad, but no, they are not helpful.

Boundary is very important. Like I posted earlier, each individual is different, each journey is different.

And Rosie O'Donnel - Whatever she tried to accomplish, I hope she hasn't lost her compassion and a little bit of human decency.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
Could you please send this to Trump?
There is a man with no boundaries.

If Barron's parents had been smart about this they would have moved
to DC in January but they chose to stoke the imagination
of all by them staying in NY.
Trump likely did not anticipate winning.

He and his campaign staff were whining about a rigged election right up to the election.

The overwhelming majority of polls, including those run by the WSJ and Fox News showed Hillary as the winner.

On the morning of the election Kellyanne hit the morning shows and did not appear optimistic and blamed the RNC for not supporting their candidate.

High end private schools are unique enviornments and are used to a revolving door of students. Parents often function in boom/ bust mode, or transfer or reestablish their kids in boarding schools or were on wait lists for other preferred schools.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:20 PM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Oh and, putting together a video collage to ask controversial question about a 10 year old is a personal attack. I think had this been about another family there would be a good case for a lawsuit. It only serves to hurt.

Old 11-27-2016, 05:21 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:

Finally, a parent tells the truth. I work with students with autism daily and it really irks me when I read things like those parents who say it is a 'blessing' or the like. Recently I read an article/blog parent of a child with autism saying, "I wouldn't have him any other way." I couldn't believe it. It was as if she was saying she wouldn't like a child with no disability or that she was glad he had autism and I find that hard to believe. Having a child with autism is exhausting to say the very least. It has to be. Just an hour working with a student with autism can be extremely fatiguing so I can't imagine what a parent of such a child has to deal with, but I have a very good idea/Don't get me wrong, I love working with all my students, but I find it delusional to say it is "a blessing" or you "wouldn't have it any other way." On the other hand, this same phenomenon is observed with other disabilities, IMHO, especially with children with Downs Syndrome. I am aware, of course, that this is a way of coping with the enormity of the disability.

Just to add, I agree that there are many misdiagnoses. I work currently with a student who has been diagnosed as AU when it is clear that he is ED (Emotionally Disturbed) and was so designated before and was receiving appropriate services, but the 'stigma' of that designation was unacceptable to the parents and lo and behold he is now 'Autistic'. I'm just disgusted. He is not Autistic and no one is being served by this misappropriation of the label. Aargh!

Old 11-27-2016, 05:41 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
What a fat, disgusting slob. Attacking a 10 year old now?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rosie/sta...39338615824384
In this case, Rosie O'Donnell really does appear to be an idiot!

Old 11-27-2016, 10:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
No, just if they are Trump's kid.

You make the same types of posts in just about every thread about Trump.

No, you are targeting the child and then trying to follow up like it is benign within this thread.

Over and over again with insulting terms for a 10 year old.

Then you post a video to the Onion in this thread?
Several posts alluding to speculation that hey look, look he has autism. look!

Who the f are you?
I didn't post videos from The Onion.

I am not targeting a child. We tax payers are the ones being targeted. I don't think tax payers should be on the hook for one million dollars a day so a 10 year old does not have to change schools as thousands of other children do all the time. If an elected official wants to keep their child in a certain school, fine but let them pay for the added expense. Imagine what our country could do with one million dollars a day!

Old 11-27-2016, 10:41 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Here's info about Barron's emotional outburst when he dropped his clarinet onstage after he missed a note and ran away crying.

Barron Trump Sprints Off Convention Stage In Tears After Missing Note During Clarinet Solo Performance - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
That's the Onion. Satire. I find some of their faux articles amusing. Not this one.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:50 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Rosie O'donnell has said one of her children has been diagnosed autistic...

Old 11-28-2016, 12:38 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I didn't post videos from The Onion.

I am not targeting a child. We tax payers are the ones being targeted. I don't think tax payers should be on the hook for one million dollars a day so a 10 year old does not have to change schools as thousands of other children do all the time. If an elected official wants to keep their child in a certain school, fine but let them pay for the added expense. Imagine what our country could do with one million dollars a day!
How do you know Trump isn't paying for the extra expense?

He can easily afford it, and he's not accepting his presidential salary.

I also wonder how many people who say "we taxpayers" actually pay federal income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies