Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 07:46 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

After two years of this crappola the result almost seemed anti-climatic.

Have got to admit that the amazing capability for the American MSM to get nearly everything wrong is matched only by that of the various American protesting groups.

Those two entities should have a sit-down and study session over what it is they think the American public will actually support or even tolerate.

Americans are fed up. What more needs to be said?

Old 11-23-2016, 07:05 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Did you know that there is already an ongoing thread about this very topic in the CD World forum? //www.city-data.com/forum/world...-election.html

Speaking for myself, I am soooooo bored and sick and tired of hearing all the whining and snivelling about Trump and Clinton and about American elections and American politics and American people and their American problems for months and months and months and months and months and .......... Just so much, it's about to gag me. I'm almost at the point I wish the earth would just open up a giant sink hole in the middle of the lower 48 and suck it all down and close over it. Then maybe the rest of the world could get back to normal again.

Seriously.

No, I didn't know about that thread. Thank you for the link. I do understand how exhausted you must feel with the barrage of American political coverage. But I'll ask that you don't sinkhole us yet! Most of us are quite good and decent.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:17 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
My family members in Germany don't really follow American politics. But since I am interested in politics, my uncles, aunts, and my cousins follow American politics just for me.

One uncle thinks Trump is uncultured and a little bit rude. But he likes him because he is an anti-globalist.

I have another uncle who doesn't understand the American "Who cares what the French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, the world think" mentality. He believes being the world leader comes with responsibilities and knowing what your allies and enemies think is always a plus.

Most of my family members understand the messenger Donald Trump is sending out though.

I have several very good German friends who are Millennials just like myself. They think of Trump as a apolitical amateur. Other than that, they don't really have an opinion about him, although to them, Trump is like Italy's prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, who is an uber-rich populist too.

Anyway, they all believe Globalization transfers jobs from developed countries to less developed countries. But they are not sure if Trump can be a good president. "good luck" is what they say. I will have to say this though, some of my family members and friends are very happy with Trump's victory. It’s generally (simplified) the anti-establishment crowd who are not a uniform group. They like what he has to say.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:22 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
You might want to post this in the Europe section but from my home country I mainly see
and hear that people cannot really believe a man like Trump
made it to the top. They feel like the uneducated( I mean politically uneducated) and country bumkins ,racist people voted him in.
The newspapers are full of cartoons making fun of him and the USA has lost even
more respect. Obama , as Bill Clinton ,was respected and admired but
Trump is another story.
He is a total flake that speaks out of both sides of his mouth, he appears uneducated as to how
politics work but then again that is what the "people" wanted. There is of course rumblings of alt-right movements there too but hopefully it won't rise like here.
Bottom line, they make fun of him and hopes the world will survive him . Me too.
Thanks for saving me all the keystrokes! I'm in Canada and I, and everyone i've spoken to, feels just like this, along with worrying about his position on NAFTA and how it will impact Canada.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:26 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
You might want to post this in the Europe section but from my home country I mainly see
and hear that people cannot really believe a man like Trump
made it to the top. They feel like the uneducated( I mean politically uneducated) and country bumkins ,racist people voted him in.
The newspapers are full of cartoons making fun of him and the USA has lost even
more respect. Obama , as Bill Clinton ,was respected and admired but
Trump is another story.
He is a total flake that speaks out of both sides of his mouth, he appears uneducated as to how
politics work but then again that is what the "people" wanted. There is of course rumblings of alt-right movements there too but hopefully it won't rise like here.
Bottom line, they make fun of him and hopes the world will survive him . Me too.
It's often puzzled me that pretty much any Democrat is well liked and well thought of and pretty much any Republican is feared and hated internationally. Seems like a lot of assumptions are made based entirely on political party affiliation. Obama was no saint. He managed to destabilize Libya, Egypt, Syria and Iraq. George W was no picnic either, having invaded Iraq to begin with. Both men are idiots in my book and I'm glad we survived both of them.

Why is it that Democrats get so much instant -- and often undeserved -- approval internationally? And I ask this from a perspective of neutrality. My own Libertarian Party isn't on either side when it comes to the bickering and mudslinging of the Democrats and Republicans.

That said, Trump is an obnoxious blowhard and has earned any contempt he has garnered.

Old 11-23-2016, 08:40 AM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Why is it that Democrats get so much instant -- and often undeserved -- approval internationally?
It's to do with image.

Democrats are warmongers too, but they're more secretive about it. People are deceived into thinking they're the more peaceful and therefore "reasonable" party – in contrast to the Republicans, who are direct about their dreadful intentions.

Whether you agree with Obama or not, his calm demeanour is a lot more digestible for non-American Westerners.

That has helped the Democrats. People don't quite like loud braggadocio, and the Republicans tend to embody that more.

Now that I'm more knowledgable on American politics, I've realised that both major parties are terrible.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:47 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It's often puzzled me that pretty much any Democrat is well liked and well thought of and pretty much any Republican is feared and hated internationally. Seems like a lot of assumptions are made based entirely on political party affiliation. Obama was no saint. He managed to destabilize Libya, Egypt, Syria and Iraq. George W was no picnic either, having invaded Iraq to begin with. Both men are idiots in my book and I'm glad we survived both of them.

Why is it that Democrats get so much instant -- and often undeserved -- approval internationally? And I ask this from a perspective of neutrality. My own Libertarian Party isn't on either side when it comes to the bickering and mudslinging of the Democrats and Republicans.

That said, Trump is an obnoxious blowhard and has earned any contempt he has garnered.
Perhaps because democratic views of
Europe line up with European views? Like take care
of the poor and unfortunate? This election we just got thru
will throw the world into a spin and I won't be surprised if more right
wing parties rise to the top in EU.

I think Europe would love to have a break from having anything american
showed down their throat at every turn but don't know how
the US can pull out of being the protector due to the threat from Russia.
I believe that there has to be someone keeping the scales in balance so therefor
I'm obviously not a libertarian.
Americans don't realize how much influence they have
on Europe. They are holding black Friday sales for goodness sake ,
a true thanksgiving tradition in countries that hold no thanksgiving.
There are times I go home and all I'm reminded of is a
mini USA.

Old 11-23-2016, 12:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,013,863 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQkmPYnNbqw

Old 11-23-2016, 12:41 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Hopefully trump stops US protection of the allies so at least their worries about him are justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies