Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
There isn't plenty of water in the desert southwest, but there is a lot of population growth -- virtually all of it from immigration since the non-immigrant population is declining.

If you want to give up your water and ship it west for the use of legal and illegal immigrants, be my guest.
I would propose that we eject the illegal immigrants and if the West wants my water they can pay to have it shipped there assuming no significant impacts in my area. I would also stipulate that flow of water can be shut off at any time to meet the needs of my area....

While the illegal immigrants being ejected is distinct possibility the water being transported there is not going to happen.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-25-2016 at 07:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The Great Lales are shared and just as much Canada's as they are USA's so it would also need to be approved by Canada, and that's never going to happen. Effective 2010 Canada, similarly to the GL states, has a new Canadian water conservation compact that bans the export of bulk water outside of Canada. That compact includes the Great Lakes waters.

Well that solves that, we can just tell California to blame Canada.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I have lived in a Great Lakes state all my life and actually get pissed when I see auto-flush toilets in hotels and such.
Huh? That is perhaps the most single most important technology developed over the last 1000 years. Who the hell wants to handle a flush lever that was used by how many people after doing their business.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

Or put cisterns and catchment systems on every house - that would probably take care of 5% of residential needs, even in drier areas. IF it ever rains again...
If you do that you aren't allowing it to flow into it's natural place thus preventing someone from charging you for it. That is actually against the law in many places out West, no problems here in the Northeast with such rules.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:06 AM

763 posts, read 379,522 times
For anyone talking about a pipeline from the Mississippi or Great Lakes, do you not understand how much energy would be required to move all that water up over the Rockies? Even if you went through the lowest elevation passes that you could find, I'd say you would still have to pump the water at least 3,000 to 5,000 feet up in elevation to get to California and the rest of the southwest. It just isn't feasible.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:08 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
For anyone talking about a pipeline from the Mississippi or Great Lakes, do you not understand how much energy would be required to move all that water up over the Rockies? Even if you went through the lowest elevation passes that you could find, I'd say you would still have to pump the water at least 3,000 to 5,000 feet up in elevation to get to California and the rest of the southwest. It just isn't feasible.
It's a retarded idea. Just like towing icebergs was 20 years ago.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:14 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Uh, thanks for you concern, but we will do fine without your water. If you really want to worry about water problems you should look to the plains from North Dakota all the way to Texas. They have real problems there already and the possible cultural, technology and engineering fixes are far more limited in number than they are in the southwest where there is always the ocean or vast brackish groundwater sources that can be exploited. It is a lot more likely those states will come to take the only thing the midwest has of value anymore - water - away from you.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:17 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Uh, thanks for you concern, but we will do fine without your water. If you really want to worry about water problems you should look to the plains from North Dakota all the way to Texas. They have real problems there already and the possible cultural, technology and engineering fixes are far more limited in number than they are in the southwest where there is always the ocean or vast brackish groundwater sources that can be exploited. It is a lot more likely those states will come to take the only thing the midwest has of value anymore - water - away from you.
The Oglala is a mess without possibility of replinishment at current depletion.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:40 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I will agree that all the great plains have water problems, but if you do not think that can affect California in a hurry you are fooling yourself. Colorado is a major source of water for all the south west states, currently they do not come close to using their share of water out of the rivers coming from the western slope of the rocky mountains, that will have to change if Colorado continues to grow at the current rate it is growing at.

Last time we had a major drought in Colorado Denver and some of the other cities stole millions of water shares from farmers with the help of the state and federal government, next time they may not get that help.

One of the long term solutions being discussed is building a pipeline from the western slope to the metro area, much more feasible than some of the pipelines being discussed here, but it California and the other states in the southwest will not have the water coming that they are currently getting and it will result in even bigger issues in California.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:43 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You can buy water.
Not really. CA can't buy its way out of its water problems. There isn't enough water there for them. And if they take it from elsewhere be it by pipeline or millions of bottles of water, it creates problems elsewhere. Nope, money can't fix this problem. It's an overpopulation problem. Human folly running into nature's wall. Big cities in the desert don't work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies