Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2016, 11:33 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well Ive seen too many awesome families leave because they make $100,000 but still cant afford a house in a decent area. That's quite frankly immoral and we are ultimately going to suffer economically.

What we need is perhaps 2 million units of affordable housing of all kinds( apts, townhouses, single family homes etc) but it's not happening.

But I digress.
I know they all come running to Phoenix we have a little refugee camp set up going on.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:37 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
To give you an example, we have a initiative making it's way on the ballot this coming March in LA that will put a halt on all new construction in LA that required an zoning/planning exemption from the city. That will throw a monkey wrench into the the tremendous growth LA experienced in the last five years and brought it out of the recession it was in. The construction boom was vital to a recovering LA.

This initiative was started by a rich industry guy who lives in Hollywood and was upset that the new development was blocking his view of the Hollywood sign. I chit you not. Most of these NIMBYs get involved or hound their local planning commissions to stall or halt development projects which costs the developers money which they then pass along to future tenants. The only way it's lucrative to build in LA is if you create expensive housing and charge high rents to offset all the development headaches.

Environmental groups secure swathes of land they intend to preserve but honestly most detractors of the NIMBYs aren't buying it anymore. They know they're just looking to preserve their QOL, their tastes and preferences and their property values which have gone through the roof since they've aided in artificially restricting supply through these third party agencies.
That's pretty absurd. I miss living in CA but I guess I can say I'm proud I don't live there anymore. We have our own versions of NIMBYs in the DC area but on a smaller scale. I live in a cookie-cutter subdivision in a location that isn't really that desirable but not cheap either (but cheaper than the Bay area or SF).

Old 11-24-2016, 11:42 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
What's odd is that Californians seem to feel the need to benchmark themselves against Texas.
For anyone who's ever lived in Texas, you quickly find out Texans gives no f**ks about what's going on California.
Totally wrong. The CA forum was innundated with gloating Texans for years during the recession when their state was flying high. When you go to TX it seems like there is a real awareness that TX is 2nd to California, and they send delegations to poach our companies, so spare us this 'TX gives no f*cks about CA' tripe because absolutely they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99
I think it's because they never expected a "cowpoke" state like Texas to develop so quickly
Trust me, we were totally indifferent until Texans started shttalking. Californians are like New Yorkers, we only care about whats happening here...not on purpose, thats just how it is.

On the other hand, Silicon Valley has really catapulted to a level of global prominence that at this point, TX has an impossible task if it's design is to supplant CA just because it's less expensive-TX still needs decades to develop it's intellectual capital and creative class.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:46 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
That's pretty absurd. I miss living in CA but I guess I can say I'm proud I don't live there anymore. We have our own versions of NIMBYs in the DC area but on a smaller scale. I live in a cookie-cutter subdivision in a location that isn't really that desirable but not cheap either (but cheaper than the Bay area or SF).
The crazy thing is that this happens with both democrats and republicans who support this. The conservatives think that this is local control and thus falls within the realm of limited government even though they don't get they're artificially restricting supply in an already tight market. Liberals use the ruse of preserving neighborhood integrity while not realizing they're dictating their tastes and preferences across the state. They all want to preserve their high property values and keep the hordes of newcomers from entering CA. CA doesn't have much room on the coast but to build up and they won't have it. So the few dictate to the rest of CA how CA should and will look based on their biases, tastes and preferences. All that at the expense of newcomers, older generations who don't own homes already or the youth entering the market and cannot inherit homes.

If you talk about this in the CA forum they will chide you and say it's all supply and demand. Yeah but if you're restricting that supply through third party agencies to help your property values to attract foreign investment or a high bidder, than that doesn't tell the whole story.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:51 AM

163 posts, read 130,129 times
So you want us to bow down to you? Ok. Thank you California for the bloods and crips that have murdered thousands of black men nationwide and the Aryan brotherhood and nazi lowriders which has turned many of my brothers into nazis and killers. Thank you for Hollywood which has distorted multiple generations kids minds and made them hate themselves and all others...

In short, California please secede. We do not want or need you. Have fun becoming a 3rd world country on your own, I just hope we deport you back there when you hop the border.

Remember you are historically the left overs of the left overs. Slaves and servants in England and Africa were sent to America and then people who could not come up or oppressed people and wanted to hide it moved to the west coast, along with Mexicans and Central Americans here you are. We do not want you. Unless you are a legal immigrant from central
America or south, you are a loser. A failure. You have always ran, keep running. Please secede so we can deal with a refugee crisis in your newly formed country and deport you, worldwide failure.

Last edited by Beardo; 11-24-2016 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 11:55 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Totally wrong. The CA forum was innundated with gloating Texans for years during the recession when their state was flying high. When you go to TX it seems like there is a real awareness that TX is 2nd to California, and they send delegations to poach our companies, so spare us this 'TX gives no f*cks about CA' tripe because absolutely they do.

Trust me, we were totally indifferent until Texans started shttalking. Californians are like New Yorkers, we only care about whats happening here...not on purpose, thats just how it is.

On the other hand, Silicon Valley has really catapulted to a level of global prominence that at this point, TX has an impossible task if it's design is to supplant CA just because it's less expensive-TX still needs decades to develop it's intellectual capital and creative class.
The awareness is real that Texas is the only state that can actually compare in terms of size and scope economically to CA. But that doesn't mean that Texans think that they're number one. The point is that for the short term the state has exploded in growth. That is what gives Texas a sense of pride but it still has a long way to go to even think about beating CA.

I agree with you to an extent but it's focus isn't and shouldn't be the creation of this yuppified notion of a "creative class". That's a silly term coined by the Atlantic monthly and touted as something spectacular but it's really just another way to define urban yuppies. You don't need to have a "creative class" to have a productive robust base of people who majored and work in STEM fields. This idea about intellectual capital seems so pretentious and I don't know why you bank on this stuff so much.

You read like a prestige who re gunner high schooler obsessed with things like prestige, intellectual capital and "creative class", Look if you want to be a yuppie and live among yuppies and bask in the glow of yuppiness fine, but don't act as though that is needed to create some sort of amazing state. Texas is doing it's own thing and it relies on working professionals without the pretension.

Besides Texas has always had an industry of national and international prominence; oil n gas, energy. It's just not as "sexy" as tech.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:55 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
I think it's because they never expected a "cowpoke" state like Texas to develop so quickly and rise up to be 2nd to CA and have I believe now the 12th or the 14th largest economy in the world. It's doing very well and the recession never hurt Texas. Even the drop in oil prices didn't send it to anywhere near the recession CA experienced during the 08 downturn.

To be fair though, a lot of the financial rags about five years ago kept playing the Texas Miracle up as though it was the best thing since sliced bread. California was always the butt of the joke while Texas was played up. They kind of fostered this rivalry between the two states and their economies. It didn't help that Gov Rick Perry was asking CA businesses to move to Texas either.
I think TX was hurt economically in the 80s with oil being a huge part of the economy. Nowadays, their economy has diversified and has relatively remained a strong place.

Quote:
So it probably leaves a bitter taste in CAs mouth that Texas has grown so much as is second to CA. But the whole country has done a 180. It's nice to live in a lot of places now not just CA. If I wasn't in CA I'd live in Oregon, North Carolina, Texas or Nashville. I mean the growth in a lot of cities outside of CA has just been amazing. It's no longer CA or NY or bust.
As long as there is land to expand, growth will continue. It sounds like CA has less land to go around in general for many reasons (including the ones stated here) as opposed to TX and other places you mentioned where there isn't much red tape to expand.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:01 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
I think it's because they never expected a "cowpoke" state like Texas to develop so quickly and rise up to be 2nd to CA and have I believe now the 12th or the 14th largest economy in the world. It's doing very well and the recession never hurt Texas. Even the drop in oil prices didn't send it to anywhere near the recession CA experienced during the 08 downturn.

To be fair though, a lot of the financial rags about five years ago kept playing the Texas Miracle up as though it was the best thing since sliced bread. California was always the butt of the joke while Texas was played up. They kind of fostered this rivalry between the two states and their economies. It didn't help that Gov Rick Perry was asking CA businesses to move to Texas either.

So it probably leaves a bitter taste in CAs mouth that Texas has grown so much as is second to CA. But the whole country has done a 180. It's nice to live in a lot of places now not just CA. If I wasn't in CA I'd live in Oregon, North Carolina, Texas or Nashville. I mean the growth in a lot of cities outside of CA has just been amazing. It's no longer CA or NY or bust.
Yep, it's not the Grapes of Wrath anymore. Dust Bowl's been over for awhile.
I've been to or through 42 states now and I try to drive back roads when I can to find the "real America". I've found so many gorgeous places that I find it sad that people limit themselves to New York, LA, San Fransisco, and Miami. My last trip to CA was mainly in the desert which I thought would be terrible but it was awesome. Long Beach and LA on the other hand was ..meh. Malibu was nice though.

Growing up in Texas, we lived pretty much in a bubble. It doesn't help when people moved from out of state and the first thing they do is fly a Texas flag and get a tattoo or something. It's almost as much of a fraternity as it is a state.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:03 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
So you want us to bow down to you? Ok. Thank you California for the bloods and crips that have murdered thousands of black men nationwide and the Aryan brotherhood and nazi lowriders which has turned many of my brothers into nazis and killers. Thank you for Hollywood which has distorted multiple generations kids minds and made them hate themselves and all others...

In short, California please secede. We do not want or need you. Have fun becoming a 3rd world country on your own, I just hope we deport you back there when you hop the border.

Remember you are historically the left overs or the left overs. Slaves and servants in England and Africa were sent to America and then people who could not come up or oppressed people and wanted to hide it moved to the west coast, along with Mexicans and Central Americans here you are. We do not want you. Unless you are a legal immigrant from central
America or south, you are a loser. A failure. You have always ran, keep running. Please secede so we can deal for a refugee crisis in your country and hopefully deport you, worldwide failure.
Actually what I would like is a list of states you consider more important and less expendable to this country than California, and your reasoning.

That would be **extremely** illuminating.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:07 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
The exact same thing happens in every forum on this board to some degree, the Texas forum is inundated with gloating CA residents from time to time just trolling for attention. I have my doubts you've ever set foot in Texas or anywhere outside of CA, your ignorance backs up that feeling daily around here.

Quote:
Is that why you never fail to bring up Texas when you start your daily CA trolling threads? You obviously care about what's happening in TX, you bring it up daily.

Quote:
Texas doesn't have any task related to CA, that's just more of the daily stupidity that floods your mind. Texas is wildly successful because it's not like CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies