Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 02:07 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
I volunteer to inform people about Islam. Why are you so bent out of shape over it? You don't support Islam do you?
I don't feel informed by anything you've volunteered so far. Did someone tell you there's a need for volunteers to "inform people about Islam", or are you self-appointed?

Perhaps if I knew more about your qualifications to inform the world about Islam, I could re-examine your posts for some insight I may have missed earlier.

Care to share? Are you a Muslim scholar?

Old 11-23-2016, 02:13 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
I don't feel informed by anything you've volunteered so far. Did someone tell you there's a need for volunteers to "inform people about Islam", or are you self-appointed?

Perhaps if I knew more about your qualifications to inform the world about Islam, I could re-examine your posts for some insight I may have missed earlier.

Care to share? Are you a Muslim scholar?
As a Liberal, I feel ideologies don't have any rights, they should all be criticized.

Why are you such an ardent apologist for Islam?

Old 11-23-2016, 02:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
To be fair, he did wait until she was 9 to consummate the marriage. Apparently that made it A-OK.
The onset of puberty was considered adulthood throughout most of the world in those times. Life expectancy was only 30-35 years.

There has been much speculation about the age of the Virgin Mary when Jesus was born. While no one knows, most scholars seem to agree she was likely somewhere in the 9-12 year range and Joseph was an old man.

It's irrational to judge ancient civilizations by current social norms and US laws.

BTW, Delaware determined age 7 to be the age of consent for girls. How whacked was that?

Old 11-23-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The onset of puberty was considered adulthood throughout most of the world in those times. Life expectancy was only 30-35 years.

There has been much speculation about the age of the Virgin Mary when Jesus was born. While no one knows, most scholars seem to agree she was likely somewhere in the 9-12 year range and Joseph was an old man.

It's irrational to judge ancient civilizations by current social norms and US laws.

BTW, Delaware determined age 7 to be the age of consent for girls. How whacked was that?
Christians dont believe that marrying a young girl is ok just because Joseph did it.

Muslims on the other hand do believe that since Muhammad did it, it is the right thing to do. And Aisha was only 6 years old and Muhammad 51.

Less than 1% of Muslim population do not follow Muhammad because they find his character not suitable to follow in modern times. These Muslims are called "Quranists".

Old 11-23-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Is it still ok to marry 8-9 year olds in islam? Poor Europe smh
Islam is not a place.

Countries have their own laws. Child marriages remain common in rural areas throughout Asia and Africa, regardless of religion. Young girls continue to be sold into marriage by their fathers to repay debt and reduce the number of mouths that require feeding.

Child marriages in rural areas of the US were fairly common not that long ago. Dr Ben Carson's mother had only a 3rd grade education when she married at age 13.

Child marriages everywhere usually involve parental consent. The US has one of the most lenient set of state laws as it relates to child marriages with parental consent compared to other developed nations.

A Strange Map of the World's Child-Marriage Laws - The Atlantic

Old 11-23-2016, 02:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
Married a 6 year old... explains a lot
Different time, different culture and custom.

What's the difference between Muhammad marrying a 6 year old and Washington owning slaves? Which one was more evil?

Before you point out others are full of it, maybe you should look at your own behind first.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Lots of things went on in those ages that are seen as barbaric now.

Even in the Bible, slave trade and treating women like property were simply par for the course.
Indeed it does. Rape of slave girls was common and just fine in those times.

There are no shortage of biblical interpretations that deem girls age 3 and beyond as ready for sexual relations.

The concept of childhood, as we know it, did not exist until the Victorian era and then it was mostly limited to the wealthy economic class. For most of history no one raised an eyebrow to child marriages throughout the world.

Every one of us is descendent of a young girl who had no say in the matter.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 11-23-2016 at 03:04 PM..

Old 11-23-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
As a Liberal, I feel ideologies don't have any rights, they should all be criticized.
What's stopping you? There are billions of Muslims in the world. Better get busy.

Quote:
Why are you such an ardent apologist for Islam?
I'm not.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Different time, different culture and custom.

What's the difference between Muhammad marrying a 6 year old and Washington owning slaves? Which one was more evil?
The difference is Washington was a normal human being, he was not a Prophet who claimed to be in conversation with God through a messenger angel.

Neither did Washington dictate a book that is supposed to be from heavens with a perfect message from God. A book that says Washington is the perfect human being and an example to follow for all times.

Washington, Bush, Obama, Trump,..... you may love or hate them, but eventually they are just normal humans who will fade away.

Muhammad is whole different animal.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Christians dont believe that marrying a young girl is ok just because Joseph did it.
They don't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDhCxER2fqM

Quote:
Muslims on the other hand do believe that since Muhammad did it, it is the right thing to do.
They do? How do you know?

Quote:
Less than 1% of Muslim population do not follow Muhammad because they find his character not suitable to follow in modern times. These Muslims are called "Quranists".
Are you sure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quranism

I didn't see anything about rejecting Muhammad.

Can you explain, please? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies