Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 06:28 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm anti- government being allowed to funnel poor kids into subpar public schools.
As am I. That grossly disproportionately harms minority kids. I simply can't understand how liberals justify that. Unless they're willing to flat out admit they want to maintain a permanently dumbed down and poor Dem voter base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:30 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As am I. That grossly disproportionately harms minority kids. I simply can't understand how liberals justify that. Unless they're willing to flat out admit they want to maintain a permanently dumbed down and poor Dem voter base.
Except vouchers don't really help poor kids or minorities. Milwaukee has had vouchers for over 25 years, and educational outcomes have not been fixed. Draining Milwaukee Public Schools of financial resources has not made them better, either.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:43 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Except vouchers don't really help poor kids or minorities. Milwaukee has had vouchers for over 25 years, and educational outcomes have not been fixed. Draining Milwaukee Public Schools of financial resources has not made them better, either.
What educational outcomes are you looking for? It drains Public Schools of money without expectation of success... which is a good thing, you expect success to get the money.... parents who have the vouchers will measure that success and perhaps the outcome YOU wanted is not the same outcome that the parent's wanted... vouchers does one thing and one thing only, it empowers the parents over the teachers... and teachers hate that... teachers can no longer choose who succeeds and who does not... parent's can choose the success of their kids...

Old 11-25-2016, 06:45 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What educational outcomes are you looking for?
The fact that you have to ask this shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. The rest of your post was some tiresome teacher bashing that is becoming more and more passe.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
The fact that you have to ask this shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. The rest of your post was some tiresome teacher bashing that is becoming more and more passe.
I said what are YOU looking for... apparently reading comprehension was not taught in your school....

Old 11-25-2016, 06:49 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Think vouchers for low income families to attend private and public school is a good thing, if this is what it entails. Also for towns/cities with multiple schools. Parents/Children should have the option to go to their school in their location. However, should if parents opt to can apply to a lottery selection that would try to place the Child in the 3 public schools of choice in the City/Town. In hopes make Schools focus on becoming equal across the board with education/services. Eventually do away with Department of Education and transfer powers to the States. Allow schools to make their own choices. Allow States/Towns manage and allocate funding for education their own way. Do away with Common Core and Standardized Testing. States evaluate school's every six months release data that evaluates schools strong points and weak points.

Only two issue's I could get behind with Federal Government involvement is nationwide standard qualifications to be a teacher and a bill passed creating a minimum teachers salary of $65,000 a year.

Last edited by RunD1987; 11-25-2016 at 07:04 AM..

Old 11-25-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
It depends on where the vouchers can be used. If they're only for public charter schools, the same problems are present that exist in the public school system. If they can be used at private schools, both Time Magazine and the Washington DC voucher program have found better educational results among the voucher students. On my phone now, but I'll post links in a bit.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What educational outcomes are you looking for? It drains Public Schools of money without expectation of success... which is a good thing, you expect success to get the money.... parents who have the vouchers will measure that success and perhaps the outcome YOU wanted is not the same outcome that the parent's wanted... vouchers does one thing and one thing only, it empowers the parents over the teachers... and teachers hate that... teachers can no longer choose who succeeds and who does not... parent's can choose the success of their kids...
Very well-stated.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:04 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
The democrats always like to say that charter schools are "draining" tax dollars from the public schools. I am wondering, if you are removing the income, but simultaneously removing the expense, how is it draining anything? Isn't it a wash? For example, in my home state of NJ, we pay upwards of $30K per student per year in the poorest school districts. So if you take away that $30K, but you also take away that student that is costing $30K, it seems like it is neutral to me, not a loss. With less students, the schools use less resources and needs to pay less teachers and administrators.

I don't pretend to know a whole lot about this issue, so I would like someone to explain to me how this is "draining" tax dollars from public schools.

Why am I not to believe that this is nothing more than the democrats supporting and defending the public school teacher's union?

Old 11-25-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The democrats always like to say that charter schools are "draining" tax dollars from the public schools. I am wondering, if you are removing the income, but simultaneously removing the expense, how is it draining anything? Isn't it a wash? For example, in my home state of NJ, we pay upwards of $30K per student per year in the poorest school districts. So if you take away that $30K, but you also take away that student that is costing $30K, it seems like it is neutral to me, not a loss. With less students, the schools use less resources and needs to pay less teachers and administrators.

I don't pretend to know a whole lot about this issue, so I would like someone to explain to me how this is "draining" tax dollars from public schools.

Why am I not to believe that this is nothing more than the democrats supporting the public school teacher's union?
Probably by volume discount... 3 students at 30k each together will only cost 70k, so a 20k left over...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies