Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 05:35 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times

Advertisements

And another ironic twist...... A friend of mine struggles with her weight due to diabetes and thyroid issues... her doctor has recommended gastric bypass.... but the insurance she is forced to purchase, will not cover it. And with her ever rising insurance premiums she can not afford the 14K price tag.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 05:42 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I see this thread headed towards a dark place. I have traveled to many countries and you can tell what class people belong to by their girth. Here in the US we have a bar that is set that is MUCH higher than in the third world. You will not be enjoying the good life as a poor person here but 9 bucks an hour (US) will make you a big cheese in Jamaica or Haiti. Perspective. Fast food and sugary cereals and soda are high calorie junk Thats is easy for the poor to purchase.
It's just as easy to buy fruits and vegetables ... lots more factors involved than just availability.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:46 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Other countries that are truly poor wish they had our form of poverty.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:49 AM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
"America is one of the few places in the world where a 'poor' person can still be obese." - Donald J. Trump.

I mentioned this line to a co-worker and one of them said that is so bad for saying that.

I was thinking, isn't a sad fact? Every other place in the world, poor people are skinny.
So telling the truth is "so bad?"

Everything Trump said is "so bad" to SOME people.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:52 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
SMH....amazing how people don't travel.

The poor tend to be overweight all over the world, depending on their national diet.
Amazing that you don't know your facts.

I've been all over the world including India, China and South Africa. I can assure you that their are millions of very poor people in India, China and South Africa who are skinny because they don't have enough food. In fact, hundreds of millions.

The poor in in those countries are almost 100% skinny.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:06 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Amazing that you don't know your facts.

I've been all over the world including India, China and South Africa. I can assure you that their are millions of very poor people in India, China and South Africa who are skinny because they don't have enough food. In fact, hundreds of millions.

The poor in in those countries are almost 100% skinny.
Bingo ... none of those people have SNAP cards.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:23 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Poor people got no reason to live.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:25 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Poor people got no reason to live.
I've been poor and have lots of reasons to live.

Post fail.

Old 11-24-2016, 06:26 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Poor in USA are fat not because they cannot buy "expensive healthy food", their obesity comes from the same place that made them poor from the beginning: Laziness, inability to resist to unhealthy habits, lack of will power, lack of education or a will to educate themselves, inability to restrain themselves.
And please don't tell me bull** about genetics etc. There were no fat people in Leningrad Siege.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:00 AM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
American's poor have unhealthy diet habits of eating high fat, high sugar foods. On the other hand, the non-poor tend to have healthy diet habits. I don't think it's a conspiracy by the rich. Southern poverty area has a diet tradition of fried chickens, brown sugar peach cobblers ... and fresh vegetable and fruits are expensive, provide less energy.

Poorest are also skinniest happen in extreme poverty countries where almost no one has adequate nutrition, and only the wealthy can afford adequate food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies