Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 03:47 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
She was born in South Carolina and went to Clemson. You have a pretty skewed definition of foreigner.
If you're not 100% European descent you're a foreigner in his eyes. But I'm sure there's exceptions for half Asian/white females
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 10:29 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
How has Haley failed in bettering the interest of her state? SC is currently one of the fastest growing states in the Southeast
Overall, she's done very well.

However.. She has neglected the infrastructure pretty badly. That would be my knock on her.

The 'fire hose' storm that flooded Columbia last year exposed how bad the infrastructure here has become. Michelin has made some idle threats about expansion if the roads are not improved.

Michelin leader calls for state leaders to fix roads

October 2015 South Carolina Dam Failures | National Performance of Dams Program

Now, neither of these things happened on her watch, she inherited them.. But there has been little to no action on them under her watch, either.

Again, this one isn't her fault.. This one goes all the way back to Carroll Campbell's term.. Which ended 21 years ago. Carroll Campbell ended 11 years ago.

SC

I will mention as well that SC is almost like 4 different states.

You have the Coast, which their money mostly comes from Tourism, though Charleston does have a fair amount of industry (Boeing)..

You have the upstate, which is highly automotive driven with ICAR, BMW, Michelin all located here..

The midlands.. I swear every job there is related to healthcare in some way.

Then there's the rest of the state. Rural counties. Unemployment is horrendous in those areas. Bamberg, where the governor is from, is at 9.1% Orangeburg is at 9.3%.. But those are lowly populated areas, too.. So, the higher populated areas that are at 3.8% unemployment bring the numbers overall into a very good position.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
No.

No one has went from an ambassador to the presidency. She won't be the first. Sorry.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:33 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
I actually like Nikki Haley. Others before her tried and failed to get the Confederate flag down. That was a huge accomplishment.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:40 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No.

No one has went from an ambassador to the presidency. She won't be the first. Sorry.
Noone other than John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison, James Buchanan, and George HW Bush

Fact check yourself sometime. Because others will.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Noone other than John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, William Henry Harrison, James Buchanan, and George HW Bush

Fact check yourself sometime. Because others will.
Dude...early presidents are a whole different story. Obviously I'm talking about the modern era. And no president in the modern era has walked from the UN directly into the White House. HW Bush was a veep before becoming the president. Hell, it's extremely hard to go from the House and Senate into the White House, let alone from the UN.

LOL@ dude comparing Haley's situation to Martin Van Buren. Get a grip. SMH

Old 11-24-2016, 10:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Trump Blunts Critics With Nikki Haley Appointment | RealClearPolitics

Here is a very successful and likable governor who wil now have a wealth of foreign policy experience.
I don't have a problem with her. Her primary function as UN Ambassador is to push Trump's agenda at the UN. She should be able to swallow her pride and do that.

Quote:
If you want to know who the first woman president will be, I think you know now.
Perhaps. She's a Millennial. She could certainly pull their votes.

Quote:
And I would not be surprised if Trump declines a second term and she runs in for years.
I don't see Trump running for a 2nd Term, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But I'm sure there's exceptions for half Asian/white females
I always grant exceptions for Eurasian females.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:34 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dude...early presidents are a whole different story. Obviously I'm talking about the modern era. And no president in the modern era has walked from the UN directly into the White House. HW Bush was a veep before becoming the president. Hell, it's extremely hard to go from the House and Senate into the White House, let alone from the UN.

LOL@ dude comparing Haley's situation to Martin Van Buren. Get a grip. SMH
Dude you clearly said "no one". There have only been 45 presidents. In the modern era you're talking like 8. People like Trump don't typically get elected either.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:44 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Overall, she's done very well.

However.. She has neglected the infrastructure pretty badly. That would be my knock on her.

The 'fire hose' storm that flooded Columbia last year exposed how bad the infrastructure here has become. Michelin has made some idle threats about expansion if the roads are not improved.

Michelin leader calls for state leaders to fix roads

October 2015 South Carolina Dam Failures | National Performance of Dams Program

Now, neither of these things happened on her watch, she inherited them.. But there has been little to no action on them under her watch, either.

Again, this one isn't her fault.. This one goes all the way back to Carroll Campbell's term.. Which ended 21 years ago. Carroll Campbell ended 11 years ago.

SC

I will mention as well that SC is almost like 4 different states.

You have the Coast, which their money mostly comes from Tourism, though Charleston does have a fair amount of industry (Boeing)..

You have the upstate, which is highly automotive driven with ICAR, BMW, Michelin all located here..

The midlands.. I swear every job there is related to healthcare in some way.

Then there's the rest of the state. Rural counties. Unemployment is horrendous in those areas. Bamberg, where the governor is from, is at 9.1% Orangeburg is at 9.3%.. But those are lowly populated areas, too.. So, the higher populated areas that are at 3.8% unemployment bring the numbers overall into a very good position.
I've always been irritated with the road situation. We have the lowest gas taxes in the country and she won't even raise it a nickle, which means on the coast we have to vote ourselves a sales tax increase to take care of road projects.
However I look at states like California with terrible roads and high gas taxes and it does seem like our DOT is more efficient overall. People tend to spend money more carefully when there isn't tons of it to go around. Something at least benchmarked for inflation wouldn't hurt though.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:15 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Nikki Haley 2024
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies