Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 08:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
King Arthur? Which book?
I specifically said a bad 60's Hollywood movie. I was not referring to anything from Mallory or Tennyson.

Quote:
What, specifically, is strangled in my language? If you wish to keep avoiding your debate, then at least be more specific. If you can't, the perhaps admit to a poorly thought out counter response and we'll move on.
The style of writing you have adopted to engage with me in discussion is equivalent to someone wearing a tweed jacket and smoking a pipe to make a point.

Quote:
You identify the claim that you made. In what post? Which claim?
The post you quoted, in its entirety. I think you know exactly the post to which I am referring:

Quote:
I saw a wall of devaluation. No one is going to pick through your noise in your apoplectic wall of text, nor jump through your hoops. You propose the topic as suggested, and we'll move on to a debate.
So you see a wall of text, but you are not certain which post I am taking you to task for criticizing?

This is not a jousting tourney. The topic of debate is in the title of the thread, and I responded with a very specific argument about why I believed such a reconciliation to be unlikely.

Quote:
If not, then be content with your narcissistic tactic of devaluation in lieu of debate and then we'll all move on.
We can get to narcissism in a moment. Narcissism plays a critical role in my theory, but first and foremost, you must address my argument:

Who told you how to want?

Not what to want, how to want.

Who gave you a language that, in my own words, "precludes argument, evidence, reality; anything that does not align with convenient specifics."

In this case, convenient specifics means that the image on a magazine can be changed in a moment's notice, but the language remains the same. Switch out the model on the cover of Vogue for a cadillac; the language still fits. It still tells you how to want, no matter what is being presented.

And any time that is happening, someone is lying.

I welcome this debate with open arms. I sincerely do. It is the debate I would absolutely love to have, it is something so critical to understanding American political (and, if we're being honest, everything else) culture. It explains to a terrifying degree the erasure of history from discussion.

And it really does come back to narcissism. That you hit on that point is the one and only reason I am still talking to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 08:30 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You paid for it, you're entitled to it. The people who haven't paid for it are NOT entitled to it. Who calls you pathetic losers? That would be YOUR people, the real deplorables, experts at name calling. The only people who think the Trump administration is going to send you anywhere are rabid Huffington zealots lost in their own twisted fantasies.
So you say. Generally when the Trumpsters talk entitlements they lump them all in the same basket. The word itself is a negative dog whistle to them in my experience. Perhaps because I'm sensitive to it, having worked so hard all my life to enjoy the ones I have.
I can pull up many posts that will fill the entire first page of P&OC with examples of the right and Trumpeteers lumping all entitlements together in a negative way.
Do I need to do that for your edification?
But we're drifting off topic.

It will take one dynamic person to unite the country. Either a true patriot who can communicate with everybody or a true despot with a golden tongue and a ruthless character.
I believe we have the latter in spades and he will ultimately unite the nation but not in the positive way we would hope.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:39 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Not gunna happen!

What could possibly unite most of 330-million people in the USA............nothing!

Such a HUGE land-mass...with a huge, very different, divided populace.

The best thing to do is make things manageable and divide the USA up into 5 or 6 apartheid-based countries........each race gets to rule-over their own country.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:39 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
potus problem
No, it's our problem, always has been.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:42 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Tell the entitlists to work for their own stuff and quit whining about things you can't change.
We the people have the power to change anything. We don't work for anyone. They work for us.

Old 11-24-2016, 08:44 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Not gunna happen!

What could possibly unite most of 330-million people in the USA............nothing!

Such a HUGE land-mass...with a huge, very different, divided populace.

The best thing to do is make things manageable and divide the USA up into 5 or 6 apartheid-based countries........each race gets to rule-over their own country.
All empires are eventually reduced to mere shells of their former self. It is the natural progression of civilization. Unfortunately now, there are weapons that can destroy the entire planet in 30 minutes. Who get's them when the country splits up?
Where does the balance of power go?

Last edited by mohawkx; 11-24-2016 at 08:54 PM..

Old 11-24-2016, 09:17 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
It's funny, I find a lot of times the people instigating and provoking a political debate are of the liberal variety.

So if they want to get along, just don't bring it up. Because when they do, I am now obligated to educate them on the flaws of their philosophy.

A democracy only lasts as long as the populace can vote themselves out of the public treasury. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Government historically has increased public dependency to establish power over the public.

After a while, they just want to get away from me.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:25 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Saw it on a show this morning ( dvr'd of y&r, Faith), listening to both sides and trying to find some common ground.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:45 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
We'll never be united as citizens of this nation until the "love trumps hate" crowd stops hating. /SMH

Old 11-25-2016, 05:58 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So you say. Generally when the Trumpsters talk entitlements they lump them all in the same basket.
I've not seen that. They generally tend to NOT refer to SS and Medicare as entitlements specifically because one does have to pay taxes (premiums) for those for decades to be eligible for those benefits.

It's the left who claims they're entitlements like welfare and Medicaid, which of course, they're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies