Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 08:35 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sorry, you are wrong. We all pay taxes. He hasn't for years. Why hasn't he shown his tax payments which all president elects do.
Because envious democrats like you will use his success against him over and over. It will never happen, but if you were in his shoes you would do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I care about the working class paying their fair share. The millionaires don't care about paying their share. They have loop holes to avoid it. You seem to be ok with this. Sorry, I don't.
The loop holes are deductions for (usually) having a business expense which results in other people working for them and paying income taxes, often, in total, more than the business owner could possibly pay from the business profits alone.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I

As Trump supporters love to point out, the goal of a good CEO isn't to provide jobs first and foremost, the primary goal is to enrich the business and its stockholders.

I guess you consider the increase in jobs when the businesses succeed as an unfortunate consequence of their success?

Old 11-25-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Rule by minority is not the American way and hopefully never will be.
The Electoral College has been the American way for over 200 years now. Have they stopped teaching Civics in school? I know a lot has changed since I graduated HS in 1968. This might explain how things just keep getting worse.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
No, we won't. People who live in California are just as good as me or you.

Hillary won this election by 2 million votes and we will never ever shut up about it just to make you feel better.

I repeat: Hillary won by 2 million. The whole world knows it. The whole world sees that America is not a beacon of democracy. We have elected presidents who did not win the popular vote twice in sixteen years. That is an embarrassment.

The people wanted Hillary. Whether they were Californian or not, they are still people.

She won by two million. You deal with it and give it a rest
And as long as you refuse to understand how the presence of the Electoral College affects the popular vote turnout, you will continue to show your ignorance of that fact and your pettiness at losing.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
This is all based on embellishment and unsubstantiated allegation, a strategy cooked up by the Trump campaign to deflect his total lack of experience in the political game ,just bash Hillary with any accusation and Trump supporters will believe it,the strategy obviously worked as it fooled enough people to get him the presidency.Well played Mr Trump.
Her problems were well known long before Trump announced his run. If there is anyone person to blame, it is Hillary herself. She has just been lucky that Obama has her back - for now.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:06 AM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,048 times
[quote=Mathguy;46300871]You seem to not be grasping that voter turnout is not 100%.

Also no crap trump is going to be facing the same relentless partisan crticism just like obama.

Trump can handle all the critique they can dish out. He has very thick skin. Unlike obama.........

Old 11-25-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The electoral college has ruined more than one election. Not time to abandon it? Why?
Only when you look at the popular vote, which is not a valid snapshot of the nation, since the Electoral College suppresses some of that vote. The EC works as it was designed to. You need to look at the reasons it was implemented, and learn how it still applies today as it did in post-colonial America.

People against the EC complain that they don't like that some states are determining who will be their president, because they are not aligned with them. Ultimately that is why the EC was put in the Constitution. Those other states don't want to be lorded over by the states you agree with.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:14 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I wouldn't call government taking away a woman's right to choose or a homosexual's right to marry leaving us alone. I would call that big government sticking its nose into people's private lives where it doesn't belong.
^^^^^ You are proving my point without even realizing it. You are looking at the Republican PLATFORM. As I made obvious, I'm not a platform person...I'm an individual candidate person. Also, as I stated, I'm not a Republican.

Quote:
Also, the Republican dream of privatizing SS and Medicare, essentially handing it all over to Wall Street and big business, will be a disaster.

As Trump supporters love to point out, the goal of a good CEO isn't to provide jobs first and foremost, the primary goal is to enrich the business and its stockholders.

What do you think is going to happen to future seniors who failed to or couldn't save enough to retire?

Are they all going to live in shelters or will we have to institute Senior Welfare, that they never even paid into like SS, instead supported 100% by the taxpayer?
Again, as I stated in the post you relied to I'm not a Republican. I'm not a Trump supporter, but I do realize that progressives love to demonize CEOs as not 'caring enough'. CEOs of public companies have a LEGAL FIDUCIARY DUTY to their shareholders. They don't have that same duty to anyone else. Would you rather live within an economy that doesn't have any such companies? You might claim that you would, but I doubt that you really would. In another thread a few weeks ago I mentioned a documentary/show about the Occupy Wall Street movement. The camera panned a block ++ in Manhattan that was so crowded one could barely see the sidewalk. The interviewer and camera person managed to make their way over to a woman who was standing up tying away on her Mac that was propped up on top of a trash can. They chatted her up for a while and she railed about greed, corporations, etc. The interviewer then essentially asked her if she is so against corporations why was she typing away on a computer that was produced by a large corporation, and especially an expensive Mac that might be seen as insensitive/rubbing it in their faces by fellow protestors. The woman was speechless. She had no idea how to respond to that question (you could see that written all over her face), and had no response.

We can't afford to make everything sunshine and lollipops for everyone.

Interest rates have already started to increase and, as interest rates rise, servicing the debt costs more money/eats up more of the federal budget. We have to eventually make cuts somewhere. Taxing 'rich people' wont generate enough revenue. Growth does help solve some problems. As other CD members have pointed out in other threads, the national healthcare system in Sweden does NOT stifle economic growth because of REGRESSIVE features in their tax system, and because they don't have any equivalent to our FATCA regulations.

From your words above, it sounds as though you think lack of personal responsibility shouldn't have any consequences. I'm not married and I don't have kids, but I could afford both. I've never understood why anyone would get married or have kids unless they have certain things in place financially. I guess part of it is the whole "you're not supposed to 'do it' unless you're married" thing, but I didn't grow up around that in the SF Bay Area. Also, 'doing it' is different from food or water. IMO, the attitude is also different here in Texas when compared to where I've lived most of my life....California. I see "If you can't feed 'em don't breed 'em" bumper stickers here in Texas all the time, I don''t ever remember seeing one in California.

Much of the above may end up being moot for a reason that I actually agree with some of the progressives (whom I disagree with re many other things) on this board about.....that eventually automation will decrease the need for labor so drastically that we will eventually need to have a basic income in the United States or resign to great civil unrest being a norm. What form that might take, and what it would cover....up for debate.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:16 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
[quote=mtnbkr5;46306095]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You seem to not be grasping that voter turnout is not 100%.

Also no crap trump is going to be facing the same relentless partisan crticism just like obama.

Trump can handle all the critique they can dish out. He has very thick skin. Unlike obama.........
You know I disagree with this statement.

I voted for Trump, but one thing he needs to get better with is developing thicker skin.

He needs to be able to take the criticism without going to his Twitter account to vent about it.

Obama has done a ten times better job in this capacity. I give Obama a ton of credit for being a good face. A very good politician. Good at smiling, waving at cameras, speaking well to the public as he remembered his prewritten script.

Very good at playing the part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies