Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2016, 05:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Over half the country? I don't like Trump, but you people are inept if you think half the country dislikes him. Hell, only a 1/4 of the country voted against him.

Seriously, if you people want to gain support, you have got to stop the stupid lies.
No, only 1/4 of the country voted for him. You guys really hate facts, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 05:50 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
The thought of Al Gore being President on 9/11.
Because he would not have invaded Iraq for an aggressive act by Saudis living in Afghanistan?

Uh--ok.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:58 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,786,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Republicans can call me anything they like, I know how this will turn out. This is the build up before the fall and it's going to be epic.
The Republicans will fall, or at least lose a lot of their power, if Trump doesn't figure out how to compromise. Or if the economy doesn't improve in Trump's term.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:58 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
The thought of Al Gore being President on 9/11.
If only Al Gore had been president... we wouldn't have been tricked into starting the Iraq War!

Old 11-26-2016, 06:36 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Were you here in 2008?
Been "here" in the US as an eligible voter since 1971. (they changed the voting age to 21, about the same time I turned 21)

If you mean on CD, about a year longer than you.
What about it?

Old 11-26-2016, 06:42 PM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Been "here" in the US as an eligible voter since 1971. (they changed the voting age to 21, about the same time I turned 21)

If you mean on CD, about a year longer than you.
What about it?
You said it got worse since 2008.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:50 PM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
I believe the democrats were spouting "We won, you lost, get over it."

Meh. Trump will start with less then Obama regarding control, with a worse deficit, and with a significantly more divided country (thanks media!). I'm interested to see if he upholds four things: Second Amendment, Tax Plans, Immigration, and Obamacare.

If he does those three things he will be the most accomplished president within my lifetime so far.
He will have more control, both houses, historic numbers of GOP governors and legislatures.

Yes the deficit is worse for a very good reason, 2007 and it will get worse under Trumps tax proposal and increased defense spending.

Yes it will be a more divided country than when Obama started as far as partisan politics and race.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Quite a few "liberals" didn't want Hillary.

Bernie Sanders was the anti-establishment candidate on the "liberal" side.

Either way, the plutocracy won this election. The rest of us lost.

Just like every election, regardless of which candidate wins.
Maryland is a deep blue state, I think everyone would agree with that. It always votes for the Democrat in the presidential election. In the last few elections for Governor, though, the Democrats have run a woman and an African American man(Lt Governor, no less) and each time the Republican challenger won. The woman was Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, yes one of the Kennedy relatives.

It seems that even the Democrats are not without their share of voters that carry a bit of racism or misogyny in their hearts. I have a feeling that there are more like this scattered throughout the country.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
I believe the Democratic Party needs another Bill Clinton. Bill Clinton ran to the center-left on social issues, but more towards the center on economic issues. Hillary Clinton ran to the far left on both, and I would argue even Obama was socially less liberal than Clinton as a candidate in 2008.

If Donald Trump is a successful President, I think the Democrats might have a difficult time winning in 2020. Generally, the party in power loses after two terms, not one.

If Donald Trump is not a successful President, the Democratic Party will have an opportunity much like that of Ronald Reagan in 1980. I firmly believe that if they nominated a candidate who adhered to the party's views socially but who was closer to the center on fiscal issues, they would win a significant number of Republicans who are young, female, living in suburbs, and or college educated. A number of these Republicans voted for Clinton this year, but most didn't because although they dislike Trump, they viewed him as far better than Hillary.

I admit I was wrong about Donald Trump. I thought that a radical leftist with a lot of ethical issues running as the GOP nominee could not defeat a radical leftist with a lot of ethical issues running as the Democratic nominee. Apparently, I was right in terms of popularity, but wrong in terms of the electoral college. The Democratic Party can move in the direction of Bill Clinton, which helped them win the white house twice for the first time since FDR, or they can continue to be a radical left-wing party.
The problem is that the social issues the Democrats espouse, end up breaking the bank fiscally. They can't have it both ways. At least Trump seems to go along with some of the social needs of the people with some degree of responsibility to the budget.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You said it got worse since 2008.
Said what got worse since 2008. It would help if you had quoted what you were responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies