Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 09:54 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenoodle99 View Post
And then let him baby sit your children while you're at work. That's just one of many examples why that is the worst.Idea.Ever.
That makes no sense. If you hire a guy clearly strung out on heroin to babysit YOUR kid, it's somehow his fault? Or the heroins fault? No, that's not an example of why legalization is a bad idea. That's an example of ****ty parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 09:55 AM

237 posts, read 245,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
That is an irrational response. Drug abusers are not going to be sane and rational people. But just because someone isn't "sane and rational" doesn't mean they should be locked up. And no bus company worth a damn is going to hire a known drug abuser to drive for them. If they do, that's more on the bus company wouldn't you think?

How will they know you're an oxy abuser or you're sniffing xanax? If it's legal then they won't be allowed to ask, just like with Marijuana cards. My brother has a Marijuana card and he's a caregiver for disabled, special needs and the elderly. By law, his job can't ask him why he uses it or when. I love my brother, but he's an idiot and I wouldn't want him taking care of my family while he was high.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:56 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
For the life of me, I've never been able to understand this. The underground black market drug industry is estimated to be worth close to $900 billion dollars a year. This is a lot of money not being circulated in our economy, and a lot of potential jobs not being created. There is zero reason why all narcotics are illegal, as having them illegal doesn't seem prevent people from buying them or selling them. So it seems to me all we've done is stagnate ourselves economically. Then the same people who says drugs should be illegally are the same ones complaining that there aren't any jobs for people. But uhm yeah, killing a nearly 900 billion dollar industry isn't a great economic plan.

Plus our prisons are filled to the brim with drug abusers and people who sell drugs. Not violent offenders, and simply are people who are engaging in a so-called "illegal trade". But it doesn't seem incredibly harmful.

So to the people who want drugs to remain illegal, do you actually have a legitimate reason?
Well, if anyone knows me on this issue you know that despite never doing drugs in my entire life, I'm all for decriminalizing drugs. Take a tiny fraction of what we're spending right now stomping around in South and Central America, patrolling the borders and harbors for drugs and keeping minor drug offenders in prison -- just a tiny fraction of all that is costing us -- and spend it on treatment, intervention and recovery programs for addicts. Nations like Portugal have demonstrated that this approach simply works better.

The reasoning for keeping drugs illegal is the same as it has always been. "Drugs are bad for you!!" Yes of course they are! Nobody is debating that! The underlying issue is whether it is the government's job to protect people from themselves. Any self-destructive behavior has indirect victims, but ultimately drug users are only hurting themselves. Also, is the War on Drugs actually making things better or is it making them worse?

Presently, the bigger problem is legal drugs. Prescribed pain killers continues to kill more Americans annually than all illegal drugs combined.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
How will they know you're an oxy abuser or you're sniffing xanax? If it's legal then they won't be allowed to ask, just like with Marijuana cards. My brother has a Marijuana card and he's a caregiver for disabled, special needs and the elderly. By law, his job can't ask him why he uses it or when. I love my brother, but he's an idiot and I wouldn't want him taking care of my family while he was high.
What stops people from going to work drunk?

Old 11-25-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
That makes no sense. If you hire a guy clearly strung out on heroin to babysit YOUR kid, it's somehow his fault? Or the heroins fault? No, that's not an example of why legalization is a bad idea. That's an example of ****ty parenting.
You don't look like that immediately after starting to abuse drugs. That takes time, you'll have no idea what the person does behind closed doors, just like most people don't now.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:59 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In case you didn't got the memo, no self respecting politicians would want any real solution!
Oh I got the memo. But 'tis approaching the season of unexpected gifts.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
What stops people from going to work drunk?
Nothing, until they get caught. Alcoholism is an awful disease that destroys families. Making every drug under the sun, including narcotics would make that seem like a simple cold.

There are more people in this world using prescription narcotics than there are smokers. I don't think legalizing it for everyone is the best idea.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You don't look like that immediately after starting to abuse drugs. That takes time, you'll have no idea what the person does behind closed doors, just like most people don't now.
But if they do it behind closed doors, it's not a problem. And I just asked this question, so you can just respond to that, alcohol is legal so what stops people from going to work drunk? The same principle applies. Are you concerned about someone who drinks too much being a babysitter too?

Old 11-25-2016, 10:03 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
... black market drug industry is estimated to be worth close to $900 billion dollars a year. ... So to the people who want drugs to remain illegal, do you actually have a legitimate reason?
There isn't, but powerful people - we would all probably even recognize some of them - who pocket a good chunk of that $900 billion annually tax free don't want to share it with the rest of the population, so they circulate propaganda that effectively keeps it illegal, and they pocket a good chunk of the profit around those economic activities that enforce its illegality.

So they get it their profits coming and going. No bonus points for guessing what they do with these profits.

Let us consider ourselves lucky that we can at least participate in some portion of the arms-dealing business through some dividend-paying so-called defense stocks, as well as tobacco and alcohol by the way.

So, yes, for the sake of a bit more economic fairness, the entire industry should be legalized, taxed, regulated, and publicly traded dividend-paying companies should be formed around it, and then, as with any other product, caveat emptor.

But don't hold your breath.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Nothing, until they get caught. Alcoholism is an awful disease that destroys families. Making every drug under the sun, including narcotics would make that seem like a simple cold.

There are more people in this world using prescription narcotics than there are smokers. I don't think legalizing it for everyone is the best idea.
Most countries that have legalized or have loosened up on restrictions see better results. Harsh restrictions increase demand for illegal trade. Prohibition in the 20s was a failure, objectively. It made problems worse. Given that countries that have ended their drug prohibition usually see some pretty big improvement, it stands to reason that the legalization of drugs in the US would have similar results. By no means should we encourage hard or heavy drug use, but I think it's time we realize that harsh laws and penalties don't necessarily change behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies