Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:31 PM

983 posts, read 734,479 times

Advertisements

https://fee.org/articles/try-to-feed...each-your-bbq/

Quote:
The holiday season is officially upon us, which means Americans will soon be feeling extra charitable. However, while random acts of kindness and helping those in need are as intertwined with the holiday season as colorful lights and gift giving, the government has chimed in to remind us that charitable efforts must first be approved by the state.

The American Royal’s World Series of Barbecue is a longstanding tradition for community members of Kansas City, Missouri. Since 1899, the event has attracted the most talented barbecue chefs from all corners of the state, who gather annually to show off their skills. With so many BBQ experts in one place, there tends to be a fair amount of leftover food once the festivities come to a close.

Hating to waste such a vast amount of quality barbecue, some of the event’s BBQ gurus got together and founded the charitable group, Kookers Kare. Partnering with the Harvesters Community Food Network, Kookers Kare has made a tradition of donating the leftover food to local homeless shelters at the end of each annual event.

This year, the two groups collected over 3,000 pounds of meat and 1,200 pounds of sides, all bound for a local nonprofit organization called Hope City, where it was to be served to over 3,000 homeless citizens in need. However, the Kansas City Health Department put the kibosh on Kookers Kare’s attempts to feed the homeless before anyone was even able to enjoy the food.

Claiming they had no foreknowledge of this charitable tradition, the health department forbid the food from being served to the needy. Suspiciously, the inspectors just happened to be doing a random inspection of Hope City the day the BBQ arrived.

“All of that food was uninspected, so that makes it from an unapproved source, it cannot be served to the public,” Kansas City Health Department Operations Manager Joe Williamson said in response to the department’s decision to stop the food from being consumed.

The health department did not stop at simply forbidding the food from being served, they demanded that it be destroyed immediately. Those who had worked diligently to collect the food were forced to douse over 3,000 pounds of award-winning barbecue food with bleach, in order to ensure its destruction and appease the local health department. Meanwhile, 3,000 homeless individuals went without a meal that day.
Quote:
As disappointed as these volunteers may be, we can only imagine the disappointment among the 3,000 people who were denied a hot meal.
This just goes to show you how our government doesn't give a damn about homeless people. Oh award winning chefs can't offer food because it "uninspected" by have fun looking through trash bins and garbage containers for food!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 01:36 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,724,811 times
I've been there.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,979,049 times
We discussed this here before but it's always good to remind people how out of control the government has become in trying to control everything.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,545,277 times
Most, if not all, states require a Food Handler license/ permit. Municipalities within states may impose more requirements than the state. Usually at least one person affiliated with food needs to be licensed.

Too bad no one affiliated with this great food giveaway bothered to take care of business. A simple 90 minute online course and a $25 fee and they would have been good to go in Kansas City.

KCMO.gov » Online food handler training

State and municipal health departments routinely shut down food operations when no one affiliated is licensed.

The flip side is, who is responsible if , out of carelessness/ ignorance, the food becomes contaminated and 3000 homeless people become sickened and potentially need medical care, if for no other reason than extreme dehydration?

Imagine 3000 homeless people hit with spontaneous diarrhea and projectile vomiting and no where to go? Shelters are not going to deal with it.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 11-25-2016 at 01:54 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most, if not all, states require a Food Handler license/ permit. Municipalities within states may impose more requirements than the state. Usually at least one person affiliated with food needs to be licensed.

Too bad no one affiliated with this great food giveaway bothered to take care of business. A simple 90 minute online course and a $25 fee and they would have been good to go in Kansas City.

KCMO.gov » Online food handler training

State and municipal health departments routinely shut down food operations when no one affiliated is licensed.

The flip side is, who is responsible if out of carelessness/ ignorance, the food becomes contaminated and 3000 homeless people become sickened and potentially need medical care, if for no other reason than extreme dehydration?
Homeless shelters feed the homeless everyday and have the needed permits.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:11 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,099,019 times
**** them for that.

Makes me genuinely nauseous to know that so much food is being wasted and so many people are going hungry because of BS laws like that.

My husband and I are putting together care packages for the local homeless and are planning to hand them out next week. Anyone tries to stop us, I will do everything legally possible to fight it.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:11 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,507,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Homeless shelters feed the homeless everyday and have the needed permits.
Yes, because they're making their food in a licensed kitchen. If these people donating the food haven't cooked the food to the proper temps, hot held it at the proper temps, cold held it at proper temps, or did the proper cooling procedure for the food, that foods bacteria count grows & the potential for a foodborne illness greatly increases. If a restaurant causes an outbreak of a foodborne illness, that restaurant is shut down until proper protocols are abided by. I don't agree with the vast amount of food waste that goes on in this country by any means. It's disgusting. However, there's a reason that food that is made for the public must come from an approved source. I guarantee if you got e coli from a restaurant, you'd be demanding that restaurant be shut down.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:13 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,507,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
**** them for that.

Makes me genuinely nauseous to know that so much food is being wasted and so many people are going hungry because of BS laws like that.

My husband and I are putting together care packages for the local homeless and are planning to hand them out next week.
I think that's great that you're doing it. I hope your packages do not include potentially hazardous foods though, you wouldn't want to risk the potential of a foodborne illness.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
**** them for that.

My husband and I are putting together care packages for the local homeless and are planning to hand them out next week. Anyone tries to stop us, I will do everything legally possible to fight it.
I wander through the homeless tent city now and then handing out food and socks. Granted these are the ones that rarely visit the homeless shelter.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:23 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,099,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I think that's great that you're doing it. I hope your packages do not include potentially hazardous foods though, you wouldn't want to risk the potential of a foodborne illness.
Socks
3 unopened Emergen-Cs
Toothbrush + holder
Toothpaste
Chapstick
Hand sanitizer
Anti-perspirant
Eucerin lotion
Gentle cleansing wipes

No actual food, since there are so many shelters around, and I do worry about potential food allergies. We're trying to go for essentials for health/hygiene that are easy to forget about, but make a difference when it comes to personal comfort and dignity.

Everything is unopened and has ingredients listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies