Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:56 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,424,992 times

Advertisements

What happen to all the talks of Americans fleeing to Canada, apparently it will be the other way around

Trump:Stocks post 3-week win streak as major indexes post record highs
https://www.theguardian.com/business...s-record-trump
Data shows U.S. economy strengthening on eve of Trump presidency | Reuters
Economic Resilience Bolsters Prospects for December Rate Rise - WSJ
Confidence in the US economy spikes after Trump wins | 11/23/16 | Markets Insider
Bay Area job boom intensifies traffic and housing woes
Texas Economy Adds 13,700 Jobs in October
Markit flash manufacturing PMI, November 2016 - Business Insider
From lintheads to high tech: the Sun Belt, and why America continues to head south | CityMetric

Trudeau: A Bank of Canada rate cut is more likely than markets think, economists warn | Financial Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/yo...eful.html?_r=0
Canada's economy would be overwhelmed by massive quake: report - NEWS 1130
Trump presidency poses 'existential' economic threat to Canada: Manley - Politics - CBC News
Canadian Homeowners Are in Trouble | The Motley Fool Canada
The Government Is Right: Canada Is in Trouble | The Motley Fool Canada
Canada's Inflation Is Eating All Your Wage Gains, And Then Some
Canadian retail sector employment to hit 12-year low: report - CityNews

Liberals lose again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:06 PM

18 posts, read 15,294 times
Are you Canadian or American Winter? anyway, yeah Trudeau and his team stinks. He may be a charitable person (refugees, women and gays rights etc.) but he can't keep a budget and he doesn't know bleep about running a country. His father was much more fiscally responsible and intelligent than him. Clearly takes after his mother...

Old 11-25-2016, 06:32 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,462 times
Reported to the mods for closure of thread.

Threads like this add absolutely zero value to the civil discourse because the entire premise is based on a one-sided argument augmented by selective Google searches of negative news articles. I can just as easily give you an even bigger list of negative news out of the Trump presidency (plenty out there) and an equally long list of positives of what the Trudeau government has done over the past year. I could, but I won't out of sanity and respect for my Friday evening.

If you want to start a negative and vicious partisan thread do it in the U.S. forum, or better yet, do it in the comments section of Fox and Breitbart. The vast majority of Canadians have no appetite for Trump's brand of politics. Thank you but no thank you.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:37 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,973,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdie View Post
Are you Canadian or American Winter? anyway, yeah Trudeau and his team stinks. He may be a charitable person (refugees, women and gays rights etc.) but he can't keep a budget and he doesn't know bleep about running a country. His father was much more fiscally responsible and intelligent than him. Clearly takes after his mother...
But darn he does have good hair! Sunny ways!

And yes, bluebirdie .. while I was never a Pierre fan, I agree with you about the budget thing.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:37 PM

18 posts, read 15,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

Threads like this adds zero value to the discussion because the entire premise is based on a one-sided argument augmented by selective google searches of negative news titles. If you want to start a negative and vicious partisan thread do it in the U.S. forum, or better yet, do it in the comments section of Fox and Breitbart. The vast majority of Canadians have no appetite for Trump's brand of politics. Thank you but no thank you.
We don't want Trump but that doesn't mean Trudeaus inability to properly balance the budget or conduct trade does not deserve criticism.

Old 11-25-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Threads like this add absolutely zero value to the civil discourse because the entire premise is based on a one-sided argument augmented by selective Google searches of negative news articles. I can just as easily give you an even bigger list of negative news out of the Trump presidency (plenty out there) and an equally long list of positives of what the Trudeau government has done over the past year. I could, but I won't out of sanity and respect for my Friday evening.

If you want to start a negative and vicious partisan thread do it in the U.S. forum, or better yet, do it in the comments section of Fox and Breitbart. The vast majority of Canadians have no appetite for Trump's brand of politics. Thank you but no thank you.

You and I must have been posting at the same time and while I am not sure this thread will go too far anyway, I don't think it needs to be closed. I think there was a good point to be made - perhaps it was just 'how' that point was made that you take issue with?

And you reported it just because you disagree with the OP's opinion? Please don't speak for all Canadians - let them (including me) speak for ourselves .. thanks.

The fact is there will most likely be significant changes/effects on Canada because the election went the way it did in the States. No one can know what those will be yet - but it is critical that we watch the Canadian government to see how they handle those changes - which I doubt they thought would happen either.

Last edited by Aery11; 11-25-2016 at 06:49 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 06:43 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdie View Post
We don't want Trump but that doesn't mean Trudeaus inability to properly balance the budget or conduct trade does not deserve criticism.
My dear fellow, Trudeau just signed off on the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) with all 27 member states of the European Union this month. This gives Canadian businesses tariff free access to the entire European market. What is your definition of "properly conduct" trade?

As for balancing the budget, there is a time for "balancing the budget" but there is also a time for spending on things like much needed infrastructure, public transit, healthcare to decrease wait times, and increasing defense budgets to meet NATO defense spending commitments. A government is not a business, does not operate like a business, does not serve customers like a business because we are citizens and not customers, and nowhere in the constitution does it ever state that "balancing the budget" should be a government's priority at all times - sometimes yes, sometimes no - all depending on the current economic climate and GDP growth projections. If Mr. Harper was in power, he, as a pragmatist economist, would do exactly the same by running a deficit so that the government can pump more investment into the economy in order to support GDP growth and jobs in a number of industries that rely on government investment. GDP = G + I + C + (Exports - Imports), and one of the 4 key components that make up our GDP growth is G (Government investment).

Former Prime Minister Harper along with all previous conservative governments did the exact same thing when growth slowed down because it is the only thing the government can do in slow growth environments to sustain national GDP. Just for some perspective, Mr. Harper's conservative government ran 6 consecutive years of federal deficits from 2009 to 2015, out of his 9 years as prime minister, totally more than $160 billion in deficit spending through issuing national debt. Mr. Harper did it because he had to and increasing government spending was the only way to sustain GDP growth. There is nothing new about this.

I'm just a little perplexed as to why some people seem to be so intent on "balancing books" like we are running some sort of bagel shop or convenience store.

Last edited by bostonkid123; 11-25-2016 at 06:55 PM..

Old 11-25-2016, 07:22 PM

CETA is much more complicated than as you describe it. As with NAFTA, little is 'free' and there are many possible drawbacks for Canada in that agreement. Suffice it to say, one should not just describe these things as simply as you are doing, bostonkid123. Interestingly though, CETA is an agreement that Harper was all for .. one would think that Trudeau would not be so enthusiastic. We will see where it leads but I honestly have little faith in Canadian negotiators when it comes to trade deals.

When one does not come close to (or even aim to) balance the budget, it leaves one open to more issues and at some disadvantage than if the budget is balanced, and the deficit is being reduced (hopefully along with the debt as well). Emergencies may not be easily paid for if there are not ready funds to handle them. Borrowing can carry much higher costs. Just as it is not a great idea for an individual or family to carry too much debt or to spend beyond one's means month after month/year after year, so too that applies to countries. And in the end, one government overspends and the next is forced to reign it all in. Of course, Liberals like to be on the spending end (because those who want money lavished on them beam with smiles) but eventually it gets out of hand, in fact often after very little tangible is actually done to show for it, and Canadians are plunged back into paying for it all. Harper spent to some degree .. all governments do .. but many people complained about austerity under him as he tried not to spend too lavishly. He was trying to be responsible for the most part.

I will wait to pass judgement on the guy with the good hair but I suspect he will produce much less for a lot more $ in the end. I will say that Trump's election may help to hold that line far more than if Hillary was coming into power - and that would be a good thing I think. On verra.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:44 PM

295 posts, read 263,761 times
Quote:

Just another "liberal" approach to the free speech...

Old 11-25-2016, 07:56 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Trump is going to cause his own impeachment, unless he sells off all his businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies