Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should women who have an abortion be punished?
yes 5 4.42%
no 105 92.92%
don't know 3 2.65%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 09:04 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times

Advertisements

Are you really that obtuse? Women don't pregnant by themselves. It takes two, and the man needs to be held accountable as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan Savage View Post
Guess I'm getting old , never heard of a man getting an abortion .

Old 11-27-2016, 09:07 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
It really confuses me as to why women who have abortions are not to be punished for what they did.

Trump said there should be a punishment, but then he withdrew that statement after he got into trouble for it.

But why?

Logically it makes sense. If abortion is murder, and most Republicans think it is, then logically you'd punish someone for committing murder in order to deter future murder.
Accept it's not legally murder, which is objectively the correct answer to your question. A poll is really just testing if people know the law. You could ask if the laws need to change, but alas, that's a separate question. Granted, in some states, it's illegal to get an abortion past a certain amount of time but I cannot say what those punishments are as I do not know or care enough to find out. That said, I feel the doctors should be receiving the brunt of the punishment and not that patient. However, in these scenarios, I feel the punishments should be relatively lax as making them too harsh will lead to abortions being done in secret and in not necessarily sterile environments. Meaning punishment would lead to more problems that it;s worth. If you want to avoid abortions, focus on better sex education and teaching people how to be in meaningful relationships.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:10 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,027,960 times
Of course not, in many cases we should reward them for eliminating future Democrat voters and government dependent children.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:18 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,789,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihku7 View Post
It really confuses me as to why women who have abortions are not to be punished for what they did.

Trump said there should be a punishment, but then he withdrew that statement after he got into trouble for it.

But why?

Logically it makes sense. If abortion is murder, and most Republicans think it is, then logically you'd punish someone for committing murder in order to deter future murder.
Abortion has been going on for hundreds of years and will not go away. Also, why would it be considered 'murder' if someone aborted something the size of a dot, something that hasn't even formed into anything?

Why do you want to control other people's lives? I know women who have had abortions. They were in VERY precarious situations and it was the best decision.

It just doesn't make sense to force a women into having a child they do not want to have, or that will keep them in dangerous situations. It's ridiculous.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:24 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Of course not, in many cases we should reward them for eliminating future Democrat voters and government dependent children.
Please, run with that.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh it is! Women are astronomically more effected by unwanted children than men. They almost always get the worst end of the deal between carrying the baby during pregnancy, enduring the birth, missing time from work due to birth and ensuing childhood years, making less money than men due to their parental status, having less money due to having to raise the child and often not getting child support from the child's father, etc.

Yes, unwanted pregnancy and children are definitely a punishment for women.
Not only that, I knew someone who found out the person she was dating was an actual psychopath. He had hidden it VERY well until a small thing threw him off and he started acting strange. She was pregnant and so scared, imagine being linked with a child to a psychopath? Very scary...

There are very personal stories and no one has the right to be controlling other people's lives and decisions.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:32 AM

649 posts, read 316,287 times
I will amend my post to say if a woman is raped & reports it or if for health reasons it's either the mother or the baby I could see that as legitimate reasons for abortion . The 99.9 % that do it because they don't want to accept responsibility for their actions is a different story .

Old 11-27-2016, 09:33 AM

11,237 posts, read 11,014,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Actually, this is not a bad angle to view the issue from.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:34 AM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Not only that, I knew someone who found out the person she was dating was an actual psychopath. He had hidden it VERY well until a small thing threw him off and he started acting strange. She was pregnant and so scared, imagine being linked with a child to a psychopath? Very scary...
Normally I'd say "cool story," but I think I might know the guy.

Is his name Donald?

Old 11-27-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR1 View Post
Abortion is what pushed our crime rates low. They should be given a $500 check if they're poor, addicts, or likely to have a child that would have ended up in prison.
My family has adopted many children from Foster Care. The situations many of them came from are really sad. Some of the kids are able to overcome their situations, many are not, and as you said, end up homeless, committing crime, or living the same life as their parents.

Most of the mothers are drug addicted mothers and really should not be having children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies