Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 05:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Oh I see. You're one of those people that, no matter what they do, you find fault with others.
Look, you proposed this idea, and I told you that I really don't want you to concern yourself with matters that don't appertain to you.

You should be happy, not annoyed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The embargo was started not because Castro was a dictator, but because he wasn't America's lap dog dictator.
Bingo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
But we liked Batista.
No, we LOVED Batista.

Americans always love people they can control. It's when they can't control you that you get on their target list. Especially if you aren't White.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 05:50 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Cuba

"According to anthropologists dispatched by the European Union, racism in Cuban is systemic and institutional.[1] Black people are systematically excluded from positions in tourism-related jobs, where they could earn tips in hard currencies.[1] According to the EU study, black people are relegated to poor housing, were excluded from managerial positions, received the lowest remittances from relatives abroad, and were five times more likely to be imprisoned. Blacks also complained of suffering the longest waits in healthcare."

I've been told by a friend who escaped from Cuba that it's actually much worse than indicated in the Wiki article.
as twisted as the Castro are I can believe it to be so- but in Miami/ area they are as one-

Old 11-29-2016, 05:55 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He was forced to run to the Russians.

There was far more under Batista. And I mean FAR more.

If we needed nothing from Cuba, then why embargo them?
I was trying to see why - what I understood- was that Ike somehow said we are not recognizing the new Castro or his govt... - maybe Intel was that he was friendly with the Russians and figured to smoke him out via hunger. there was a reason IKE did NOT like Fidel enough to ban the whole country-- I dont know why -but the congress passed those laws- and I do know the Kennedy's did try to pop him off, but did not have Seal Team Six---

Old 11-29-2016, 05:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look, you proposed this idea, and I told you that I really don't want you to concern yourself with matters that don't appertain to you.

You should be happy, not annoyed.
I don't care if you want me to or not. There are plenty of people, thank goodness, who believe in working together even if a particular problem doesn't affect them. Glad to know if you saw someone getting hurt, you'd walk right on by because it doesn't concern you.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:32 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Cuba has been moving towards capitalism for quite a while now, they all know communism failed and that the revolution was essentially a lie.

Countries with strong trade-ties to Cuba have to logically respect that Raul is still in charge and so they have to downplay Castro's many negatives and say some nice words. (ie Canada).

I personally hold Castro to a higher standard than say....the Saudi monarchy because Castro was supposed to be leading a peoples revolution. When he hijacked that into a purged core of loyalists supporting a dictatorship he became no different than the previous administration.

P.S. Interesting to see Elian Gonzalez interviewed. A lot of younger voters don't realize that he was the reason that Bush II wound up in the white house instead of Al Gore. A tiny event, the survival of a young boy on a raft....changed the course of history in a big way.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I was trying to see why - what I understood- was that Ike somehow said we are not recognizing the new Castro or his govt... - maybe Intel was that he was friendly with the Russians and figured to smoke him out via hunger. there was a reason IKE did NOT like Fidel enough to ban the whole country-- I dont know why -but the congress passed those laws- and I do know the Kennedy's did try to pop him off, but did not have Seal Team Six---
A simple google search would tell you why. When fighting broke out between Batista and Castro, the U.S. started an arms embargo against Cuba. It hurt Batista more than Castro since the Soviets were providing arms to Castro. After that we refused to import 700,000 tons of sugar from them or sell them oil, and Castro nationalized three American refineries that refused to refine Soviet crude oil, and then nationalized a lot of other American businesses. Then there was the Bay of Pigs fiasco, and then Cuba let the Soviets put nuclear missiles on their island pointed at the United States.

So, he wasn't America's lapdog, but he was most definitely the Soviet's lapdog. And people romanticize him because of it. Because I guess he stuck it to us, huh? I mean, he really hurt our country by the brain drain out of his country and the poverty he imposed on his subjects while he was worth $900 billion, not to mention the firing squads. But, but, healthcare! And literacy!

What I think is interesting is that some people are so ignorant that people like Colin Kaepernick actually think Castro invested in education while we invested in prisons. As if we don't invest billions of dollars in education, and as if Cuba has zero prisons.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:57 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
you forgot your sarcasm tags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Take away the facts that the Castro gov't owns all media, arrests, imprisons, tortures and kills political dissidents, has locals spying and reporting on their neighbors, kills those who try to flee his paradise, doesn't allow worker's unions and has the lions share of the wealth and higher material living standards concentrated in the gov't and I'm sure he's a great guy.

Forget how Amnesty International labels him. I'ts all a misunderstanding.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
A simple google search would tell you why. When fighting broke out between Batista and Castro, the U.S. started an arms embargo against Cuba. It hurt Batista more than Castro since the Soviets were providing arms to Castro. After that we refused to import 700,000 tons of sugar from them or sell them oil, and Castro nationalized three American refineries that refused to refine Soviet crude oil, and then nationalized a lot of other American businesses. Then there was the Bay of Pigs fiasco, and then Cuba let the Soviets put nuclear missiles on their island pointed at the United States.

So, he wasn't America's lapdog, but he was most definitely the Soviet's lapdog. And people romanticize him because of it. Because I guess he stuck it to us, huh? I mean, he really hurt our country by the brain drain out of his country and the poverty he imposed on his subjects while he was worth $900 billion, not to mention the firing squads. But, but, healthcare! And literacy!

What I think is interesting is that some people are so ignorant that people like Colin Kaepernick actually think Castro invested in education while we invested in prisons. As if we don't invest billions of dollars in education, and as if Cuba has zero prisons.
Do you think the Batista dictatorship would have been better?

Old 11-29-2016, 07:08 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you think the Batista dictatorship would have been better?
Yes. Cuba would have had a better chance of eventually evolving into a western type free market democracy. Just like Chile after Pinochet.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:15 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I mean, he really hurt our country by the brain drain out of his country and the poverty he imposed on his subjects while he was worth $900 billion,
What would a man who spent most of his life on a small island want with all that money? For what? Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. Where is the real proof, not innuendo? I am no fan of any dictators, but I keep seeing Castro's vast wealth posted in threads like this one. Where is the genuine proof?

Castro: I Am Not Rich - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies