Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,277 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile:

Israel bombs suspected Islamic State militant hideout in Syria

Anyone here really think the U.S. can or will abandon the ME without also abandoning its relationship with Israel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 09:07 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
"Governor Romney, the 1980's are calling and they want their foreign policy back, because the cold war's been over for 20 years"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS2a44F5TgM
So, it's US foreign policy is responsible for Putin imperial adventures and domestic abuses? What would you do? pretend that Russian crap doesnt smell and then what? What concessions are you willing to give to dear friend Vladimir?

Old 11-28-2016, 09:09 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Putin Russia fits ALL known definitions of a fascist regime, fascist light for time being but the ground is well fertilized for cranking it up. I want to remind you that USSR started WW2 in1939 as a full blown Hitler's ally. Who else except Russia has the right to impose its influence on their neighbors using 19th century imperialist tools? Do the countries around Russia have any self determination rights at all? Russia was murdering left and right to recreate glory days of the Russian/Soviet empires. What's the difference, except that Muslim fanatics never could match Russia/ussr in the body count, not even close.
We, meaning especially NATO, has been cozying up to countries like the Ukraine for years. Always trying to put missiles around Russia. They are paranoid, and won't put up with it. Would you, or we? Hello......Cuba.

Russia didn't start the Second World War....... it was Germany. Stalin went along for the ride, thinking he could put off a war with Germany until the late 40s. He was wrong.

As for Russia influencing it's neighbours, how about the US in South America? It's what powerful countries do.

ISIS are discovering Russia is not to be messed with. They don't try and be the good guy for public consumption like we do.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:09 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Meanwhile:

Israel bombs suspected Islamic State militant hideout in Syria

Anyone here really think the U.S. can or will abandon the ME without also abandoning its relationship with Israel?
Those kinds of comments show how politicized people are. The only reason they say "stay out of ME", is because Dems are committed to defeat ISIS, and they feel compelled to oppose it. If it was the other way round, they'd use every argument to justify fighting them, like they did to justify Iraq occupation.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:10 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
What do Russians have to trade with Syria? Really. They were arming Arab regimes essentially for free for 50 years already, and they dont really can keep doing that, nor do even friendly regimes want cosmetically refurbished soviet junk anymore, even for free. At most der Putin wants to give a lesson what could happen when an authoritarian leader challenged, thus safeguarding Putin rule in Russia, as well protecting friendly regimes on the Russian periphery, ALL of them are cleptocratic quasi dictatorships owing their existence to Russia. Preventing pipelines for the Gulf gas and oil being built is just a bonus, but to keep that bonus Russians need a dependent Assad which means instability forever. It is a favorite Russian trick in the past 20 years - grey dependent regimes owing it all to Russia.
If you're trying to convince me that Assad and/or Putin are bad, just stop. I agree. Assad is a sad desperate man, clinging to power and Putin is an authoritarian dictators pretending to be president. And Russia's potentially unethical reasoning behind their alliance with Syria simply doesn't change one crucial fact: it's not up to Americans who rules the Syrian people; it's up to Syrians. If we want to tell Putin off for upholding foreign dictators, then do so through diplomacy. We don't need to wage other people's wars.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:15 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
How does ISIS compare with lets say recent Russian body counts in Chechnya, Georgia, Ukraine, etc.? Or perhaps lets compare ISIS to USSR circa 1933 when Roosevelt administration recognized Stalin regime at the time when the stench of the corpses of the millions victims filled the air literally speaking.
It is the ideology of these radical groups. There is no doubt that they would kill more if they had our weaponry. Look at Boko Haram and the 20,000 they have killed since 2001 and the 2.3 million they have displaced from their homes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boko_Haram. ISIS and Boko Haram will sacrifice anybody and anything, including their own, to accomplish their objective. They are still in their infancy compared to the US and USSR. It is better to thwart their efforts now than latter.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:23 AM

57,265 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes. Many innocent people die in all wars. The trick is to fight hard, and end it. We need a strong leader to keep a lid on in Syria. Sadly, Bashar-al-Assad is our best bet to do this. Russia agree, and will back him to the end. Assad will then sort out his surviving enemies.

It stinks, but if we have learned anything, it's best to keep our noses out, unless we have a direct threat to deal with.
There are too many factions involved in this civil war for it to end quickly, they normally end when both sides grow tired of killing. Syria has several countries and groups on both sides to keep the massacre going, I don't think we should be materially involved but would like to see a cease fire.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Here we go again. People are getting back to Team America, World Police.

'Murica, F#%^ yeah! Heavens forbid we learn our lesson and respect someone's sovereignty. Oh yeah fight them there so we don't fight them here. Since Israel has invariably been mentioned, oy vei.

So by the existential threat of terror that gives us license to tinker in another's sovereignty, they have a true threat to tinker with ours.

I don't think it holds water but Russia SHOULD have helped manipulate our election.

I feel existentially threatened by the table next to me at lunch. I think I'll fight them over there before they come to my boat.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:48 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Isn't Russia helping Assad to quash any resistance from the Syrian people, not just ISIS? Also, how is Russia helping Syria by killing innocent men, women and children?
This is BS. The western media keeps reporting it every day. But there is no any real evidence of it, except for fake photos, staged videos, lying articles by lying journalists and dishonest allegations. The western propaganda always works this way : cover any event with your affluent lie so that the sheep never see the truth.
There are tons documents disproving this BS, but the western anti-Russia propaganda will never will mention about it.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:21 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
"The Syrian people", is just one small sect that took up arms against the central government (likely armed & encouraged by the US) . The Assad regime has every right to put down the armed insurrection against the state. Then the US started arming & training ISIS & other extremist groups to fight Assad. Then the US propaganda machine known as the mainstream media started a disinformation campaign against him, claiming he was "an evil dictator", was "killing his own people" & was using chemical weapons/gassing (hmmmm, that sounds familiar, where have I heard that before ) to conjure up sympathy against Syria. Then they created a "no fly zone" so Assad's government couldn't use their planes in the fight to stop the radical insurgency. The reason we're in Syria is because Assad refused to let Clinton Foundation favorites Saudi Arabia & Qatar (who Hillary emails show are funding ISIS) build a pipeline through Syria, into Turkey to sell gas/oil to Eastern Europe and cut out the Russians. Assad asked the Russians for help in squashing ISIS & they obliged their ally. There's no credible way to spin the Russians as the bad guys in this one. This is a case of the US starting a war for oil, and not even for our own oil, but for Saudi Arabia & Qatar.
Great post! You hit the nail on the head.
But it necessary to correct one important thing : it is the US behind of poisoning of innocent syrian civilians. The US supported chemical weapons. I have started a thread regarding this matter //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ar-crimes.html
but no wonder the brainwashed sheep don't want to discuss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies