Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 09:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Tort reform has been tried. It's an interesting idea but so far where it has been tried saw no decrease in cost of health care but they did see an increase in the wealth of medical community and insurance community. (see Texas). I'm all for it if it worked.
That isn't true. A huge expense for a doctor is malpractice insurance.

Now if we eliminated that cost and the doctors simply pocket that money, then no, costs do not go down. Also, I am not saying that this is a major driver of higher costs. It likely isn't BUT everything from the biggest to the smallest has to be addressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 09:22 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Plenty........such as?
Priceline and Hot wire would be two.

Silent auctions

Cable TV pricing (intro rate given actual rate always hidden)
Cell phone plans with intro offers (this is less common lately)
Before monroney stickers it was very common in car sales
Still common in used car sales (mostly in the buy here pay here lots)
Repair work on housing and cars is usually estimated but overages and re-billing is common.
Time and Materials contracts.
Do not exceed contracts

In the free market there are no regulations so various industries may find it useful to hide their pricing. For instance utilities pricing was and in some places can be hard to determine ahead of time. This has been reduced thanks to regulation but of course regulation is not free market.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 AM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
Note: this guy's "solution" to that is to decrease the cost of malpractice insurance by x amount ...and then tell the doctor to send that same amount to the state to spend on healthcare.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:25 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Wrong. Blue states increase taxes on SOME people in their state all the time. And please stop with the "I wish I could pay more taxes, and so does every liberal I know" line. If you want to pay more taxes so badly, you can cut a check to the Treasury any day you want.
The issue is usually where the taxes go. If you get a tax increase for expanding medicare fine if it's for some other things maybe not. That's why most won't write a check to the general fund.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
My views on healthcare are very liberal others are all over the map. That said I often vote tax increases for my self in local ballot measures if I feel it benefits society in a cost effective way. You can look at ballot measures in Blue states they do indeed increase taxes on themselves all the time.
Red State.

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/...s-bond-passes/

This sort of thing can be pointed out all over the country. I only use this as I voted for it. It was largely predicted as going to fail as it was somewhat narrow in scope but I said all along, let's wait until the votes are cast, I believe people will do the right thing and they did.

We also just took on a tax to help fund the volunteer fire depts.......well, it was officially a "fee" but all the same.

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/...oves-fire-fee/

Old 12-01-2016, 09:28 AM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
The issue is usually where the taxes go. If you get a tax increase for expanding medicare fine if it's for some other things maybe not. That's why most won't write a check to the general fund.
Always got a reason why you can't satisfy your deep, burning desire to pay more taxes, huh?

Old 12-01-2016, 09:40 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It doesnt matter. Ryan and Trump are prepared to create a system where you live or die based on the size of your wallet.
It's actually more likely based on how well one has managed their own health and fitness. Are the obese with adult onset diabetes more likely to die? Yes. Why should taxpayers bear the cost of such persons' health care?

Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 AM

1,285 posts, read 592,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's actually more likely based on how well one has managed their own health and fitness. Are the obese with adult onset diabetes more likely to die? Yes. Why should taxpayers bear the cost of such persons' health care?
You're going to pay for it regardless.

People without insurance end up in the emergency room, where they have to be treated and where the cost shifts onto someone else. Guess who pays for that?
People with insurance.

It's easy to make a shopping list of the things each of us don't want to pay for.
I don't want to pay corporate welfare, i don't want to pay for the maintenence of those roads i never use etc etc.

Take a holistic view.
It is no coincidence that countries that spend much more on social programs, end up saving per person spent on healthcare.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:

Now if we eliminated that cost and the doctors simply pocket that money, then no, costs do not go down. Also, I am not saying that this is a major driver of higher costs. It likely isn't BUT everything from the biggest to the smallest has to be addressed.
One of the biggest distractions Republicans use is tort reform. They implement laws that limit lawsuits and say costs will go down. They do not; the insurance companies keep those profits. Half the states already have tort reform and medical costs did not go down in those states at all. So when Republicans say their replacement plan is tort reform, this will not be a cost savings patients see, it will be a cost savings insurance companies see.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
One of the biggest distractions Republicans use is tort reform. They implement laws that limit lawsuits and say costs will go down. They do not; the insurance companies keep those profits. Half the states already have tort reform and medical costs did not go down in those states at all. So when Republicans say their replacement plan is tort reform, this will not be a cost savings patients see, it will be a cost savings insurance companies see.

Sorry, but if you are a minimum wage Wal-Mart worker your injury is not worth $1million. That is more than you would earn in a lifetime of work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies